Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT Front Tires Replaced

After a few days of riding my new 2014 RT. I notice the front tires riding unbalance. I mean the entire front-end is shacking. So I took the unit back to the dealer. They balance tires, etc. Still no change in tires. So they call BRP. Guess what? BRP said they got several hundred lots of tires that were manufactured with defects. They told the dealer to replace my tires. If your 2014 bike is not riding correctlyplease have them checked. BRP has no plans to issue a recall or maintenance repair notice.

Spyder Garage

Default Good to know..!!

murmurs have been around and your not the first. You are right those with problems should have it checked at the dealer before spending on fixing it themselves with alignments and swaybars. Once the ryde is good they can have the handling mods done. If they don't they will bad mouth everyone because it did not fix the problem....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

My 2014 RT is in the shop as we speak. Tires were balanced, still isn't correct. I took it back and said call me when its right. Front end shakes like crazy between 40-60. After
    60 it smooths out. Hoping it is a tire issue. It had major shaking from mile number 1.
    None of my other Spyders had any issues what so ever, so this is all new to me.

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT Front Tires Replaced

Quote Originally Posted by R30SHIRE View Post
    My 2014 RT is in the shop as we speak. Tires were balanced, still isn't correct. I took it back and said call me when its right. Front end shakes like crazy between 40-60. After
    60 it smooths out. Hoping it is a tire issue. It had major shaking from mile number 1.
    None of my other Spyders had any issues what so ever, so this is all new to me.
    Bad tires. My friend had the same problem with his 2014 RTS. BRP replaces front tires. No charge.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Biggdogg22 View Post
    After a few days of riding my new 2014 RT. I notice the front tires riding unbalance. I mean the entire front-end is shacking. So I took the unit back to the dealer. They balance tires, etc. Still no change in tires. So they call BRP. Guess what? BRP said they got several hundred lots of tires that were manufactured with defects. They told the dealer to replace my tires. If your 2014 bike is not riding correctlyplease have them checked. BRP has no plans to issue a recall or maintenance repair notice.
    Spyder's, got my bike back from the dealer today with the new tires installed. She now rides really smooth. So the tires were the problem. If you own a 2014 Rt have your tires checked. BRP is replacing them for free along with alignment.

Spyder Garage

Default Tires?

With all the comments on the rear tire lasting only 6K and now the front, sounds like they bought a garbage tires from a garbage company!
    Wonder if it's smart to just put on Goodyear or Dunlap's on it.

Spyder Garage

2014 RT Limited was pulling badly to right. Had laser alignment done to no avail. Two dealers working on problem. Finally BRP ask if I would switch the tires and wheels as a unit (without changing the tires) and see how it handles. This cured the pulling issue so BRP replaced both front tires under warranty and all is well. Also had wheels/tires balanced by the Hunter Road Force Balance System and front end is smooth as silk.

Spyder Garage

Bringing my 2014 RT-Limited back to Hattiesburg Cycles on Saturday. Still some slight vibrations after getting an alignment but my biggest issue is the squeaking. It sqeaks BAD when slowing down, no foot on the brake. I don't know if it's the calibers sticking or what... but it needs to be fixed. There's also a "voohm, voohm, voohm" (<---- typing my sound effects.... Don't try this at home, kids. I'm a professional) sound constantly coming from the left tire... like something is rubbing.
    New tires, new brakes, new calipers... I don't care what they replace.... but something has to be done.

Spyder Garage

Picked my RT Limited up today. Front end shook for entire 2-1/2 hour trip home.
    3:16

Spyder Garage

Default Lucky I guess

I picked up my new Rt a little over a month ago and have put 2500 kms. on it. I love it and the ride has been confidence inspiring including a couple of moments that would be considered illegal in most locals. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
    2014 Black RT SE6 - OEM backrest, fog lamps, & led light kit
    2012 NC 700XA (sold)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We did an alignment on a friend's 2014 RT and we tried and tried but no matter what we did it pulled to the right. After we left he took off the wheels and swapped them from right to left and the Spyder pulled to the left. His dealer found a bad belt in the tire and they replaced them.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mtdoragary View Post
    Picked my RT Limited up today. Front end shook for entire 2-1/2 hour trip home.
    Dealer should have prechecked and road tested your machine. Let us know what happens here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Dealer should have prechecked and road tested your machine. Let us know what happens here.
    True, but they could have just ridden it around the block a couple of times without going on the highway. I suppose it's a fine line between proper road testing and putting too many miles on it and ticking off the buyer.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wd8ajj View Post
    With all the comments on the rear tire lasting only 6K and now the front, sounds like they bought a garbage tires from a garbage company!
    Wonder if it's smart to just put on Goodyear or Dunlap's on it.
    But remember: There are only two current tire manufacturers producing tires in the size that we need, that are makrked as suitable for motorcycle use...
    And the BRP folks can't just stick a tire on the bikes, that'll make the Feds nervous...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    But remember: There are only two current tire manufacturers producing tires in the size that we need, that are makrked as suitable for motorcycle use...
    And the BRP folks can't just stick a tire on the bikes, that'll make the Feds nervous...
    Yep, while under warrantee they are limited in choices. But once the tire warrantee expires, good car tires are going on. There is no reason to put motorcycle tires on a vehicle that doesn't lean.
    3:16

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've had good luck with the Kendas up front; but have always gone to rear tires designed for use on automobiles...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mtdoragary View Post
    Yep, while under warrantee they are limited in choices. But once the tire warrantee expires, good car tires are going on. There is no reason to put motorcycle tires on a vehicle that doesn't lean.
    They make tires for cars, light and heavy trucks too. In case you have forgotten!

Actually a MC tire on a Spyder would be the waste of a set of good tires until you wore the centers down to the cords.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FRONT TIRES FOR ...BASIC RT

This is posted elsewhere but if you missed it ...........These tires are Freakin awesome ........stick like glue..........Toyo Proxis 185/55-15... T1r..V- speed rated and $ 57 each at Tire Rack.com.........your welcome .......Mikeguyver

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

This tire problem is not new with the 14' models. Do a search on the forum. You'll find is has been going on for several years. After 3 months of trying to fix the problem I threw out my tires and went to car tires on the front. Been problem free for 10k miles.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Front tires

I have the 2011 RT limited and need to replace my front tires. Any recommendations?
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl