Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default No Start, just clicks!

Ok, another problem, never ending headache this machine, battery's fine, close to 13 volts, jump start and i get the same, so am i looking at a new starter? or a gallon of gas and a match, nothing but troubles.........tired of searching forums, way to many post that don't match my searches..........and please real help, no BS not in the mood for jokes........

Spyder Garage

Not sure how much effort it is to remove the starter, but if/when you do you can most likely test it by hooking it up directly to the battery to see if it turns.

Then you'll narrow it down further to either a starter issue, relay, or loose wire somewhere.

Sorry man; that's all I got. Other's will add in I'm sure so hang in there.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yea have it all apart AGAIN....wires all tight.......been cranking slower and slower, I'm guessing starter......just tired of working on it, seems i fix one thing something else goes, i know others have had fun and good luck with the Spyder, but i think this is my first and last! Just gets to me that $20,000+ and it's been more fixing than riding.....

Spyder Garage

One of the first things I do with a new bike is put dielectric grease on every connection I can find. Corrosion is the #1 cause of electrical failure in a bike, and after all the bikes I have had, I believe in the 3oz of prevention.

While you don't say what year your RT is, nor how many miles, I would think a starter would be a warranty issue - I have not heard of one of those going TU.. The battery, however, can go quickly, if it has not been kept on a trickle charger, like the "Battery Tender" - and a bad cell might show the proper voltage, but not have the cranking amps you need. JMHO
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Battery tender i use all the time, have one for all my bikes, Spyder is a 2010 and just under 9000 miles, and with others issues it's been starting ok, battery has a little less than 13 volts, bike has been garage kept, i never saw the need or wanted to tear into the bike that far to take apart every connector, being that there basically moisture resistant to an extent, i was hoping someone had a similar problem and could help short cut my efforts.
    Last edited by rarerockmusic; 08-11-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it's a 2010; is it the original battery?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Ok, lets cut through this more easily, i work on bikes, i've owned over 30 in my lifetime, and worked on and or rebuilt most well before the days of fuel injection and everything being computer controlled. I have owned bikes with well over 30,000 miles and never had the problems this machine has given me, i know what to check and how to check it....this machine is controlled by BUDD, it's out of warranty (not that they fixed anything during warranty, it was new to them too) I know i own a LEMON, i've posted this before, i'm stuck with it, my fatal purchase.........so to get off my rant cause this machine has me pissed.....I'll ask again, has anyone had a similar issue with a fully charged battery, and a jump starter, and still just a click from the solenoid, i have the shop manual but again BUDD this then BUDD that, i don't have the means to take it to the shop (where it lived for 5 months). I'll apologize, but i need people to understand I'm losing patience with this bike and will mention again, i need someone that has had this situation and can short cut to the cause, i can't be the only person that's had this issue, if so then a darker yellow I'll paint the damn thing (the lemon) and hope it get's stolen........again i apologize.....and thanks for any help.
    Last edited by rarerockmusic; 08-11-2014 at 06:06 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had a 2010 RT SM5 and I would guess that I had under 10,000 miles on it and the starter froze up. Spyder wouldn't start it just clicked. This was in 2010 so it was under warranty and they replaced the starter. Then at 59,000 miles on that Spyder it wouldn't start, we thought it was the battery but turned out to be the stator.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I had a 2010 RT SM5 and I would guess that I had under 10,000 miles on it and the starter froze up. Spyder wouldn't start it just clicked. This was in 2010 so it was under warranty and they replaced the starter. Then at 59,000 miles on that Spyder it wouldn't start, we thought it was the battery but turned out to be the stator.
    Thank you, i will check the starter.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The more information that you can give the readers, minus a bit of the attitude, and you will probably find a lot more willing to help. I am not the mechanical one, so I cannot be of help with your current issue.
    I apologized for my so called attituded from the start, and you do not understand the issues this bike has given me. And i think i supplied enough information concerning the circuit involved, and since your not mechanical, and never had these issues then why remark to my post.............

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The more information that you can give the readers, minus a bit of the attitude, and you will probably find a lot more willing to help. I am not the mechanical one, so I cannot be of help with your current issue.
    give the guy a break he has gone through a lot he is losing his mind at this point

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bob edward View Post
    give the guy a break he has gone through a lot he is losing his mind at this point
    I agree, but maybe he should lose his mind a little more privately. IMO going nuts is best not shared.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rarerockmusic View Post
    Thank you, i will check the starter.
    To give you a more detailed description it welded itself frozen, there was no fix other than replacement.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see..!!

other causes mentioned along the way were ignition switches and kill switches. It is said you need 12.7 volts to crank it but if you jumped it one assumes those volts were there. Trick would be to power the starter directly and see if it turns over. The other is the ground straps. These need good contact to the frame but I'm sure you checked those. If it was slowly cranking slower and slower it has to be the battery or starter..we are not doubting you but the tolerances are small teaspoon of brake fluid and a brake failure. Three volts short and clicking from the selonoid...would like to know what you find so we can help...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The BUDS system has nothing to do with the starter motor itself as it's just an electric motor and subject to fail. It's not real easy to get to it but if the solenoid "clicks" and it's getting battery voltage through it then I'd go after the starter.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2010 RT-S SE5. I had similar issues to yours ,the dealer found bad battery cell and the battery was replaced. when the battery was replaced there was corrosion on the battery terminals.
    I also have recently found the spyder will go into DPS limp mode while driving, after I stop and push all the fuses and solenoids back into place, the issue goes away.
    I hope this helps. All my electrical issues seem to have started when the spyder info center was replaced because of non-compatability ,when I got the dealer to install the BRP CB/Comm system. My next spyder will not have the BRP wired com system.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yes i am losing my mind with this bike, and yes i should not lose it on here but it's never ending with this thing. And it s a pain to get to the starter, as i seen stated, got it off this morning after stepping back from it yesterday, one of the field magnets broke free inside the starter case locking the starter up. may be fixable, going to try.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about your problems. Please contact your dealer he may be able to help you with the starter being under warranty. about a month ago clutch pack came apart and was fixed under my BEST Warranty.

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rarerockmusic View Post
    Yes i am losing my mind with this bike, and yes i should not lose it on here but it's never ending with this thing. And it s a pain to get to the starter, as i seen stated, got it off this morning after stepping back from it yesterday, one of the field magnets broke free inside the starter case locking the starter up. may be fixable, going to try.
    If the magnet came loose they can be glued back. I have seen the a few times on the Evinrude motors. Moisture causes this, rust under the magnet.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"losing your mind"..
    If you come across mine during your search; please let me know where you saw it...

Sorry for the ill-timed humor. It seems as if you might have needed a little bit of it!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

JB Weld on the magnet, will see after it sets, then test it tomorrow.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We'll expect a full report on our desks within 48 hours...
    Good Luck!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It LIVES once again, lets see what can go wrong in the next 1000 mile breakdown cycle......

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you got it fixed now think positive about the future!
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage