Spyder Garage

Default Brake Failure Warning

I have been getting a brake failure warning for some time and I'm posting in hopes that someone on the forum can help me get this resolved. Let me add that I have plenty of brake and can stand on the pedal and stop on a dime; however, it's troublesome going 70 mph down the interstate with a brake failure light in your face!

When it first I took the roadster to my local dealer with this problem, they downloaded the latest software, told me the brakes were fine and reset the screen warning, then sent me on my way. One week later the screen was back. Any ideas are appreciated. ...Don

Spyder Garage

If you rest your foot on the brake pedal long enough while riding you will get a warning. Are you sure this is not the case?

2014 RT Limited - Black / Currant

Spyder Garage

Default Agree..!!

if you rest your foot on the pedal in anticipation of turns etc you can get the message. If the brakes are low or fluid is low as well. But once you remove the key and walk away it should clear. Asumming they checked everything and the brake system is good the foot thing seems the best possibility..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Similar experience - Problem Solved

Quote Originally Posted by gnirtsnod View Post
    I have been getting a brake failure warning for some time and I'm posting in hopes that someone on the forum can help me get this resolved. Let me add that I have plenty of brake and can stand on the pedal and stop on a dime; however, it's troublesome going 70 mph down the interstate with a brake failure light in your face!

When it first I took the roadster to my local dealer with this problem, they downloaded the latest software, told me the brakes were fine and reset the screen warning, then sent me on my way. One week later the screen was back. Any ideas are appreciated. ...Don
    I've had the same display message twice, each time added a little Brake Fluid and problem solved. Apparently the sensors are somewhat overly sensitive and the system "vents" a bit of fluid each time the brake pedal is depressed - Whatever! Anyway I'm good for another 13-14k miles. Also, service manager said to use Dot 4 fluid but the only thing I could find was Valvoline Dot3/4. Dealer said it is ok to use it. Good Luck!

Spyder Garage

I would suggest you take a peek at the switch at the brake pedal and make sure it's properly adjusted and just verify nothing is bent. I would also take a look at the master cylinder and verify neither of the bolts backed out. We both added chrome foot castings and needed to unbolt the master cylinder to get enough clearance to remove and reinstall them. Upon re installation I missed Locktite on one of the bolts and it backed out a few thousand miles later causing the brake warning light to come on.

Damn, only time in over 15,000 miles I was on the side of the road and I caused it !
    SpydermanCT

2010 RT-S SE5 Timeless Black PE # 794 ~ RT-622 Trailer ~ Can-Am Garmin 665 GPS ~ Elka Front Shocks ~ ESI Brightsides with Rips Kit ~ ESI RT Fender Tips Kit ~ Rear Brightsides ~ HMT Brake Light ~ Tricplate rear running / Brake LED's ~ ESI Mud Flap Lights ~ LED Day Runners ~ Right Side Inlet Covers ~ Street Magic Scuff Guards ~ IPS Key Cover ~ KewlMetal Kewlocks ~ Spyderpops Radiator Block Off Plate and Catalytic Converter Shield Set ~ Carbon Fiber Kit ~ Corbin Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydermanCT View Post
    I would suggest you take a peek at the switch at the brake pedal and make sure it's properly adjusted and just verify nothing is bent. I would also take a look at the master cylinder and verify neither of the bolts backed out. We both added chrome foot castings and needed to unbolt the master cylinder to get enough clearance to remove and reinstall them. Upon re installation I missed Locktite on one of the bolts and it backed out a few thousand miles later causing the brake warning light to come on.

Damn, only time in over 15,000 miles I was on the side of the road and I caused it !
    Now I've got a few arrows in my quiver. Although I think the switch is okay, I'll double check it. The bolts on the master cylinder are something I didn't think to check...but will today. Lastly, I had over-tightened the brake pedal during my re-install, preventing the pedal from rising enough to allow the brake light to turn off (switch issue, huh). I only backed the nut off enough for the light to turn off, but it may still be too tight. Thanks to everyone for the focus on the brake assembly behind the right side plate.

Greg, it only took me less than 250 miles to end up on the side of the road. That's why I now carry a one-gallon can of gas. ;-) ...Don

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Brake Failure on my 2012

Had the same thing happen...read a few of the other posts....added a few tablespoons of fluid to both receptacles (even though they looked full) problem went away and has not came back..got an o riginal error code of C0049

Spyder Garage

The above posters have you pretty well covered as far as the "easy" stuff goes.

I have had the brake failure lights due to

Low Fluid, touching the brake pedal to much, and crud stuck on the switch mechanism causing the brake switch to not shut off.

Hope its one of these.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Due to a recent problem of the brake lights staying on, I learned that won't cause a brake failure message. That was a surprise to me. After some reading in the service manual, I learned that the brake failure warning can come because there is enough pressure put on the pedal to active the low pressure switch and not enough to activate the high pressure switch. The brake light switch is not involved at all.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Brake Failure warning message "no code given"

Quote Originally Posted by dadof4 View Post
    If you rest your foot on the brake pedal long enough while riding you will get a warning. Are you sure this is not the case?
    I just wanted to add that not only did I find the one that best suited my situation but also gave me a number of options to keep in mind should one of my riding partners ever get the same type of message. I would have to say thank you to all who commented with their suggestions. This was my first time having to use this site for help and its nice to know that there is somewhere other than the dealer to get the answers you need... thanks again everyone......by the way I'm not knocking the dears in anyway as it certainly helps to have done a bit of homework when you do have to go into "the SHOP" ....
    CHEERS Everyone

Arlen2

P.S. Turns out my issue was low fluid even though the reservoirs both had plenty of fluid
    Last edited by Arlen2; 11-06-2017 at 12:45 PM. Reason: additional information..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnirtsnod View Post

My 2010 RTS had this happen twice...
    First time they did a "bleed" on the brake system and it went away.
    Second time 2,500 miles later they ordered and replaced a sensor...problem fixed.
    let us know the fix with yours.

........." It's a Great Life if you don't weaken' ".........

"You don't stop having fun when you get old...
    you get old when you stop having fun"

" Remember, Aging is Mandatory...
    Maturing is Optional "
    2014 RTS Limited , Matt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OKey View Post
    My 2010 RTS had this happen twice...
    First time they did a "bleed" on the brake system and it went away.
    Second time 2,500 miles later they ordered and replaced a sensor...problem fixed.
    let us know the fix with yours.
    This used to happen all the time on my 2012 RT Limited, as the brake pads wore down, the brake fluid level went low. It is difficult to pour Dot 4 Brake Fluid in the front and rear reservoir, so I followed the hint by these members, and added Brake Fluid with a Tablespoon in to the filler necks. The Warning light always disappeared.
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default brake pads

will worn rear pad make limp home mode come on

Spyder Garage

Most likely fluid, but a sensor can fail had one on my rear code was C0048
    dont know what years that applies to. Most annoying having the warning screen show up, would block my trip meter & would disappear but show right back up at next stop. Good pads & fluid was covered by extended warranty. & quick fix when I got it to dealer. Also per my understanding riding brake pedal for extended times goes into limp home mode, I'm not 100% don't hold me to it.

Helpful vids:

Inspect you pads https://youtu.be/Csji-2tfwAQ

Finding codes https://youtu.be/2ORFxBtyJU4
    Last edited by Bfromla; 11-13-2017 at 03:30 PM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default I had this exact issue

Quote Originally Posted by dadof4 View Post
    on my 2010 RT. I had replaced the factory brake pedal with a wider one and my size 13 boot was resting on the end of the brake pedal. Code given and nanny went to limp mode. Thankfully, a friend riding behind me said that my brake light seemed to stay on long after i pulled away from a stop. So - put smaller brake pedal back on and cut off my toes to fit in a size 10 boot!

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy66 View Post
    on my 2010 RT. I had replaced the factory brake pedal with a wider one and my size 13 boot was resting on the end of the brake pedal. Code given and nanny went to limp mode. Thankfully, a friend riding behind me said that my brake light seemed to stay on long after i pulled away from a stop. So - put smaller brake pedal back on and cut off my toes to fit in a size 10 boot!
    A great idea if you want to "downsize."

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Filling the reservoir with Dot 4

I used a hypodermic needle to fill to the top .. Worked well.