Hybrid View

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Perhaps we should be asking this question:
    "How many of these 'loud' fuel pumps, have failed?"

Not "Been replaced"; but actually stopped working...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Perhaps we should be asking this question:
    "How many of these 'loud' fuel pumps, have failed?"

Not "Been replaced"; but actually stopped working...
    Very true. And going to be a very good question as these machines get some age/time on them. However, its not "normal" for an electric fuel pump to sound like that. The spyder fuel system is a pretty standard set of modern day components designed in just about every modern vehicle on the road today. There is no magic under that plastic, as some seem to believe....[emoji6]
    My concern, other than the pump seizing and leaving me stranded, would be what is actually making the noise? If its internal metal to metal contact is there a potential for debris to get carried through the fuel system and into the motor? Other long term issues???

Harley has a similar one going on right now too. The fuel pressure regulator buzzes really loud sometimes at first prime and in real cold weather. It was found to be the regulator vibrating/buzzing and a new part is available. However, its only at first prime, in the very cold, doesn't happen all the time and no issue with damage anywhere else AND has caused no reported breakdowns. Bonus is that if you mention it to the dealer they WILL swap out the regulator with a newer part under warranty without hassle.

Just BS though being told a noisy fuel pump is "normal", because its NOT normal. Maybe it won't fail though....who knows...
    Tick... Tick... Tick... Tick... Tick...
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 11-30-2014 at 10:59 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It comes down to whether the pump is designed to lose it's prime when it's off or not. In the fuel injection world of autos, all fuel pumps should hold their pressure. If they do not that is a sign of a faulty check valve and the first sign the pump is failing. If the 1330 fuel pump has to prime itself each time it will be noisy as it builds pressure. Again, back to auto pumps, there are usually 2 main suppliers; Airtech and Bosch. I have put many of both in and by far the Bosch have lasted much longer. I would like to think that BRP had went with the best pump possible, but with the issues of the suspension of the '14's and the tire problems we all have had, I would be very surprised if that had been the case. If mine ever goes out, I will try to get a Bosch replacement, if possible. Out of all of them I have replaced, I have yet to have a Bosch fail.

Spyder Garage

One of the BRP gurus at the Durango Owner's Event listened to my 2014 RT, and immediately said that the fuel pump noise was a known issue, and my dealer should replace it under warranty. My dealer replaced it, and the noise is gone. The tech guru said that the fuel pump would probably not fail, but that the noise would increase with age.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I still don't think we've resolved the issue

but, at least we've boiled it down to two possible answers; #1 it's a problem, and #2 it's not a problem.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's normal; but it's a problem!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Well don't go to the

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

It's normal; but it's a problem!
    "The Problem of Spyders" forum or did you?