Spyder Garage

Default ST Windshield Bobble Head Affect

There seems to be a plethora of windshields advertised for sale and re-sale, but few are designated for ST's. With that said, can the brackets on a 2013 ST accommodate a windshield from an RS or an RT?

I have the stock windshield (19" I believe) and while I'm 6'4" it doesn't direct airflow over my head. Thus, I actually have to keep it down a notch otherwise the wind is directed straight into the middle of my helmet, causing me to look like a bobble-head!!

So, my objective, will be to get a windshield that can deflect the air above my riding profile, but also maintain adjustability in the original brackets so I can lower it during the hot Texas summers to get some cooling effect!

Thoughts, insights for other ST geniuses out there??

Thanks,
    Jon
    SmoothSpyder Backrest | Removed 'CanAm' graphics | ThermoTech II Wrapped Exhaust | 2014 Vented Side Panels | BajaRon Sway Bar | BajaRon Heim Links | Bump Skid (via SpyderQuest & SpyderPops) | Rivco drink bracket, reversed, with X-Grip for phone holder | BRP Ultra Touring Windshield | Givi Hard Saddlebags | Russell Day-Long Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Jon,
    I'd mention the Touring Windshield that's available from "the Mother Ship", but there have been a couple of reports of it not staying put when you adjust it...
    Simply put: it has shown the tendancy to drop a notch or two, when a bump is encountered.
    A fix for that is being implemented; why not try running your windscreen at it's lowest position? It'll take the wind blast off of your chest, but your noggin' should be up in clean air.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default ST Windshield

Buy one of these, problem solved: http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/SpyderSTprod.html

Jeff M.
    2017 F3-Limited
    2009 GS , Iridium Plugs Red

Spyder Garage

My summer shield.WP_000135.jpg

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Check out calsci....the best...designed for st

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Default 6'3" 280lb Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by NoLmtz View Post
    There seems to be a plethora of windshields advertised for sale and re-sale, but few are designated for ST's. With that said, can the brackets on a 2013 ST accommodate a windshield from an RS or an RT?

I have the stock windshield (19" I believe) and while I'm 6'4" it doesn't direct airflow over my head. Thus, I actually have to keep it down a notch otherwise the wind is directed straight into the middle of my helmet, causing me to look like a bobble-head!!

So, my objective, will be to get a windshield that can deflect the air above my riding profile, but also maintain adjustability in the original brackets so I can lower it during the hot Texas summers to get some cooling effect!

Thoughts, insights for other ST geniuses out there??

Thanks,
    Jon
    I'm 6'3" 280lbs and my head and eyes rattle like crazy on my 2014 ST-S with the windshield it came with. The only thing that helps a little is to tighten my helmet and goggles 'real tight' and slow down on the highway (which is boring at times). Did you ever find anything such as a replacement windshield or other that'll help this issue???
    Last edited by bayoumanPIBE; 02-10-2015 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Enter model of spyder and speed limit

Spyder Garage

Using the stock windshield I figured out a lot of buffeting came from the wind wrapping around the sides so not a lot you can do. I just replaced it with the Ultra Touring windshield. I've only had a chance to ride about 70 miles but I can definitely tell a difference.

Without an upgrade be sure to adjust your visor to cut out wind noise (if you wear a full face helmet) and that helps a lot. Otherwise I just got used to the buffeting.
    SmoothSpyder Backrest | Removed 'CanAm' graphics | ThermoTech II Wrapped Exhaust | 2014 Vented Side Panels | BajaRon Sway Bar | BajaRon Heim Links | Bump Skid (via SpyderQuest & SpyderPops) | Rivco drink bracket, reversed, with X-Grip for phone holder | BRP Ultra Touring Windshield | Givi Hard Saddlebags | Russell Day-Long Seat

Spyder Garage

Default Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by NoLmtz View Post
    Using the stock windshield I figured out a lot of buffeting came from the wind wrapping around the sides so not a lot you can do. I just replaced it with the Ultra Touring windshield. I've only had a chance to ride about 70 miles but I can definitely tell a difference.

Without an upgrade be sure to adjust your visor to cut out wind noise (if you wear a full face helmet) and that helps a lot. Otherwise I just got used to the buffeting.
    I wore glasses all of my life until I got lasik last year and it seems my eyes are a bit more sensitive to vibrations.

I am assuming this you are reporting somewhat of a positive difference in replacing your stock with a Ultra Touring? Where'd you get it?

I have yet to find a full face helmet that is comfortable...so thus far, I'm really happy with the wind with my half helmet. Yeah, I know that'll give me more buffeting/vibrations but there's got to be something that'll help me. I saw a guy on an RT this weekend wearing prescription glasses with no straps and he was fine...must've been that windshield huh? IDK.

Spyder Garage

Yeah, most RT's have a windshield that creates a very large pocket. Several people suggest the Cal-Sci windscreen... I strongly considered them but went with the BRP Ultra Touring Windscreen. The reasoning for that decision is the BRP Ultra is made from Polycarbonate, where the Cal-Sci is an Impact-Modified Acrylic... but it still doesn't come close to the breakage resistance of Polycarbonate. You can order the Ultra through the BRP website, or your local dealer... I was able to negotiate mine down to about $210 if I recall.

There is still a bit of wind-wrapping from the sides, but not nearly as much. And when I duck down into the pocket... it is absolutely silent... I'm very impressed so far, but like I said, I've only got about 70 miles under my belt with the new windscreen!

As for helmets, I'm a big fan of full-face due to wind / weather resistance and safety. If you're considering one and put an emphasis on safety, I'd be sure to get a helmet that is not only DOT certified but also SNELL. Personally, I use a Shoei RF-1100. And remember, how the helmet feels in month 1 will be much tighter than how it will feel in month 3... the cheek pads need to break-in! Plus, i have a bluetooth system on my helmet so I can communicate with others, talk on the phone, listen to music, etc. all in my helmet, which sounds waaaay better than blasting it through the stock system. In fact, I can be up to 75mph and most people had no idea I was on a motorcycle... it's a SENA SMH-10R.

Hope this helps!

NoLmtz

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

image.jpgHere is what I came up with and have about 40000 miles on it and it works.

Sidebar from his wife: Butch is 6'4" also and had the same issues as yourself...this attachment is from Baker Air Wings and can be tilted on the fly if you want air dumped down at you to cool off on hot days...otherwise it directs the air up and over his head.
    Last edited by Paula(Butch2025); 02-11-2015 at 06:53 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Spyder Owner Since June '08 & April '12

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default CALSI

Calsi has the best protection and they have a vent cut into it that relieves back pressure which really helps smooth out the ride.
    I am 5-10 and I run with my medium high extra wide down in the lowest position and I can see nicely over the top of it with great protection. and the price is reasonable.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Calsci windshield

We're very happy with ours.

Spyder Garage

Default I cannot find the attachment

Quote Originally Posted by Butch2025&Paula View Post
    Here is what I came up with and have about 40000 miles on it and it works.

Sidebar from his wife: Butch is 6'4" also and had the same issues as yourself...this attachment is from Baker Air Wings and can be tilted on the fly if you want air dumped down at you to cool off on hot days...otherwise it directs the air up and over his head.
    Hey...I looked and cannot find this attachment on their site. Do you remember what this attachment is called or have a URL?

Spyder Garage

i did a cali. sci. with angle adjustment brackets from Australian spyder ryders.
    2013 sts , Pure Magnesium