Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Wrapping the exhaust on an RT

For you guy that have done this, how much did it cost? Did anyone go through the dealer to do this? Did it make that big of a difference to make it worth the cost?
    Tom

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by swmp321 View Post
    For you guy that have done this, how much did it cost? Did anyone go through the dealer to do this? Did it make that big of a difference to make it worth the cost?
    Tom
    Here's what I did. It cost me about $1100 in parts and labor. Don't know how much of that was for just the exhaust, because a lot more was done. But to me it was worth every penny. I can now ride in hot weather without my legs burning.

Obviously it's a lot cheaper to do it yourself, but it's also a LOT of work. And I had the opportunity to throw some ideas around with the technician and discuss what we thought would be the most effective to do.
    Last edited by robmorg; 08-04-2014 at 05:11 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that MagDave used a DEI heat barrier; what did you use?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I did it with a single 50 foot roll. Cost 46 dollars And yes it helped some. My rt is a 2013 heat was not that bad I think. But then I road a Honda ST 1300 for years. NOW THAT IS COOK BURGERS GAS TANK HEAT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I think that MagDave used a DEI heat barrier; what did you use?
    If you are asking about the reflective heat tape, it was the same kind of stuff. Don't know for sure if it was the DEI brand, but it looked like it. I never saw the packaging for either the reflective heat tape or the exhaust wrap.
    Last edited by robmorg; 08-04-2014 at 06:12 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This certainly sounds like a winter project this year or early next. Surprised they ran the header that close to the tank IMO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They didn't have to do that . But then; how would you have been able to get your legs around the bike??

Spyder Garage

I did my pipes on my 2011 RT and sad to say it makes no difference heat wise and minimal amount of noise reduction. Yes the pipes do not get as hot but try to grab it when the engine has been running......Plenty of heat, enough to burn you hand.

Insulating the engine bay is far more effective, less expensensive and a far sight easier than removing and reinstalling the header pipes. Some people have wrapped the pipes in place but I have small hands and after looking at it realized this would likely produce less than perfect results..

Spyder Garage

Bluestratos,

Well yeah, you could still feel the heat if you grabbed ahold of a wrapped hot exhaust header, but I don't think it's accurate to say that wrapping them makes "no difference". The goal is to reduce the heat to the point where you can comfortably ride it on hot days. I don't think it's possible to completely eliminate the heat altogether - at least not without employing a combination of several drastic and expensive measures.

As I've posted earlier in the thread, I did a combination of wrapping the headers and using an ample amount of reflective heat tape behind the uppermost panels and around the gas tank. I have to say that I am delighted with the results I got. I am certain that the reflective tape alone would not have given me the same results. I also saw your earlier post, and it appears that we both got the results we were looking for.

I agree with you that in order to do an effective job, it's best to remove the headers from the Spyder when wrapping them.
    Last edited by robmorg; 08-05-2014 at 10:36 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

I wrapped the exhaust on my 2010 rt and it made a big difference. Purchased high temp tape at Discount auto for about $20, Made a big difference for us.
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have been quoted $350 from my local dealer to do the job. The cost is all in the labor with the heat tape costing $40 to $50 (2 rolls). I have an appointment for next Thursday so I will report back to you on how well it works then.

Thanks for all the input.

Spyder Garage

I have been quoted $350 from my local dealer to do the job. The cost is all in the labor with the heat tape costing $40 to $50 (2 rolls). I have an appointment for next Thursday so I will report back to you on how well it works then.

Thanks for all the input.
    Are you planning to put any heat reflective tape on the back of any panels, since you'll have them off anyway? I would at the very least do the two small black lateral panels under the seat that attach to the top frame rail, and close up all the holes in those panels as well.

But if you don't, it will be interesting to hear your report on how much difference wrapping the headers alone makes. You can always do the panels later. I'll be watching this thread for your report back. Good luck!!
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Are you planning to put any heat reflective tape on the back of any panels, since you'll have them off anyway? I would at the very least do the two small black lateral panels under the seat that attach to the top frame rail, and close up all the holes in those panels as well.

But if you don't, it will be interesting to hear your report on how much difference wrapping the headers alone makes. You can always do the panels later. I'll be watching this thread for your report back. Good luck!!
    I agree with you. Since it will be all apart anyway, It might as well all be done. Ill let you all know how it goes.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool RTL201 Exhaust wrapping

I bought a 50 foot roll of one inch wide woven exhaust wrap for $40, I was going to make it a DIY thing. Then one day while having a coffee at the Spyder shop I got a quote of $120. To wrap it so it went from DIY to Y DI4M in 30 seconds"

The tech used those S/S mini screw clamps and did it from the eng block to the cat converter"

i notced iced a significant decrease in both heat and noise.

Spyder Garage

Default RT Exhaust

Tom

I purchased an upgraded exhaust so it would be louder. My husband took the original and rebuilt it, glass pac. So, I have the upgraded exhaust that I paid about 900 for. Am looking to sell for about 600 if you know anyone.

Spyder Garage

Default Another HOT Foot

Everything on order for the switch over hopefully next week, I will also be wrapping the pipes. However I noticed today that my right side panel is buckled on the bottom were my ankle would normally rest on the foot board. Tried to take a picture but hard to detect. I also noticed that only when moving can I feel heat coming from that gap. Going to take that one to the dealer this weekend.

2014-08-14 15.26.44.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wonder if it would be possible to run the bikes with those lower panels removed?
    I twould have ot help shed underbody heat... as long as your ankles could take it!