Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Engine Limp home, then shuts off

On a road trip and its a holiday here in Canada so dealers are closed.

I have a 2010 RT Manual, that has 39000km on it without an issue.

2 weeks ago I was coming to a stop, to backfired and limp home came on, cruised into a parking lot engine shut itself off. Waited 5 min, restarted and everything was fine, took it to the dealer they saw the code but it told them nothing.

Friday we drove for a long weekend trip, during stop and go driving it lost power, limp home came on and pulled into a parking lot, it stalled, waited 5 min and it started again.
    This morning going home, it started with limp home, shut it down, restarted worked fine, then about 20km in it did it again, while looking for a hotel, it did it about every 16km (10miles) and now is running a bit rough, but not really bad. keeping RPM over 3000 seems to run longer, moment I hit a traffic light it went limp home and stalled 2 min. later.
    Found a dealer about 20km from here and will take it there.

Anybody has some idea what is going on?

Thanks

Andy
    Modifying the RT to travel Canada.

Spyder Garage

When you get the limp mode while riding have you tried to see if there is a code?

If you havent diwnloaded the Spyder Codes app on your cell I would highly recommend it.
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    When you get the limp mode while riding have you tried to see if there is a code?

If you havent diwnloaded the Spyder Codes app on your cell I would highly recommend it.
    If you can tell me how to read the code, I can try getting it.

Spyder Garage

With the key in the on position. Press all 3 at the same time. For the turn signal switch you will need to push it straight in. Like as if your trying to cancel them. Mode + set + turn signal at the same time. If there is a code it will show on the screen.

Since this sounds like a intermitten issue it might not show if the orange screen/limp mode isnt showing currently.

You might have to wait till it happens again or ride it and see if it will give you a limp mode screen and then try and pull the code.
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Default rough running

It sounds to me like the small vacuum lines to the TB's are leaking. Might want to check that out. They are on the left side and all the TW there needs to be removed to get to them. Easy to replace with stock tubing from auto parts store. Good luck

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

got a code P0000, shut it down restarted and it is running smooth now, not sure for how long, find out when going to the dealer in the morning.
    With my look they find nothing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MMcc View Post
    It sounds to me like the small vacuum lines to the TB's are leaking. Might want to check that out. They are on the left side and all the TW there needs to be removed to get to them. Easy to replace with stock tubing from auto parts store. Good luck
    Checking it will only show active codes so you have to do that when it happens.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

is it the original battery and did you check the battery terminals? my rss went into limp mode three times and finally found out it was the battery.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AndyIsRiding View Post
    got a code P0000, shut it down restarted and it is running smooth now, not sure for how long, find out when going to the dealer in the morning.
    With my look they find nothing.
    Maybe a different code?

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ght=code+P0000
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just back from the Dealer, they were very busy, but they quickly plugged the BUDS in and after a lot of looking through the errors found a code.

Trottlebody positioner is not working properly, so he probably will have to order a new one.
    He did some quick tests with the BUDS and said, I'll take the plastic off later, but 95% I'll need to order a new one.

So taking the train home and will come back in a week or so.

Spyder Garage

If it is under warranty and they want to replace the TB great. If not I would have them replace the MAP hoses first and see if that fixes it they work with the TB. Even better have them use silicon hoses the BRP rubber has been known to crack and cause your symptoms and sometimes the crack is not even visible. Regardless it is time to replace them anyway they are a known failure point and might save you some big $$$. Sorry I just do not trust many dealer diagnoses . By the way ask them what the code was (#) and post it here for better feedback.
    Last edited by Magdave; 08-05-2014 at 11:11 AM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    If it is under warranty and they want to replace the TB great. If not I would have them replace the MAP hoses first and see if that fixes it they work with the TB. Even better have them use silicon hoses the BRP rubber has been known to crack and cause your symptoms and sometimes the crack is not even visible. Regardless it is time to replace them anyway they are a known failure point and might save you some big $$$. Sorry I just do not trust many dealer diagnoses . By the way ask them what the code was (#) and post it here for better feedback.
    with replacing those hoses . . . they get hot and rubber wears out. I was stranded buy the side of the road, over 100 miles from home when one failed in March.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Spyder is still under warranty.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AndyIsRiding View Post
    Spyder is still under warranty.
    Good thing a TB is very expensive but as I said have them replace those hoses anyway just good preventative maintenance.