Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: non-ethanol gas

Spyder Garage

Question non-ethanol gas

Hello all,

I count it as an honor to share another day with each of you... I have never been to a gas station that sold any gas without 10% ethanol in it...until yesterday that is. I was in a small town in Oklahoma and the gas had no ethanol. I have heard people say that non-ethanol gas is good but my question is: will there be an issue mixing non-ethanol gas with the normal gas? I assume not, but figured I would ask. Thanks in advance fir any input.

Grady
    Last edited by Laila's Dad; 08-04-2014 at 02:36 AM.

Grady Brown III
    President & Founder
    For The Love of Laila...and your baby too
    www.ftllm712.com
    Check out the Events page at www.ftllm712.com for upcoming events

We are Riding to save lives!!!

Facebook

Twitter

Spyder Garage

Ethanol gas is bad. There really isn't much good about it other than the farmers are making bank on corn these days. It doesn't even reduce our dependence on oil.

Non ethanol gasoline is not only better for your engine but it will give you more power and better fuel mileage. It lasts longer without treatment and is actually less expensive then ethanol fuel (when you consider government subsidies with our tax money).
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

NOPE! The more gas you can find with no ethanol the better you are. They just add ethanol to normal gas so if you dilute it with more gas you are better off.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Ethanol gas is bad. There really isn't much good about it other than the farmers are making bank on corn these days. It doesn't even reduce our dependence on oil.

Non ethanol gasoline is not only better for your engine but it will give you more power and better fuel mileage. It lasts longer without treatment and is actually less expensive then ethanol fuel (when you consider government subsidies with our tax money).
    100%
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 900Dave View Post
    NOPE! The more gas you can find with no ethanol the better you are. They just add ethanol to normal gas so if you dilute it with more gas you are better off.

2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I noticed that with non ethanol gas our rss averages about 32 to 33mpg and just slightly over 29 with 10% ethanol. substantial difference.

Spyder Garage

Non ethanol fuel around here is becoming more available . Seems more common with Citgo. Haven't seen anyone else jump on board. I have tried it my mileage dropped. The answer I got was it takes 2-3 tanks for computer to adjust. Don't know if this is true but figured if it was being it wasn't readily available was no sense of running it

Spyder Garage

Go to your app store and download http://www.pure-gas.org your spyder will like it 100%.
    Last edited by Iamjoey; 08-03-2014 at 08:15 PM.

Spyder Garage

Does it matter what year the ethanol free gas is..........Do you still need to adhere to the manufacturers octane rating for ethanol free?
    If you ryde like there's no tomorrow, there won't be any
    Accidents hurt - safety doesn't

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see..!!

that must be why all of us that can't get non ethonal use additives to counter act the effects...get it if you can find it..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Try this

Quote Originally Posted by Iamjoey View Post
    Go to your app store and download http://www.puregas.org your spyder will like it 100%.
    Hey thanks, that's a good one.

Don't forget the hyphen... ;-)

http://www.pure-gas.org

Chas

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Quote Originally Posted by Topshotta View Post
    Does it matter what year the ethanol free gas is..........Do you still need to adhere to the manufacturers octane rating for ethanol free?
    ......Don't ever buy GAS that's more than one year old .....Buy the freshest gas you can ......Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

Sure it's better to use non-ethanol. We have a few pumps Scattered around N GA, but you'd go crazy running to one for every fillup, to say nothing of the extra $1 per gallon - eithey charge. $4.50 to $4.75 a gallon. 10% or so better mileage is great, but the performance is even better. So, I buy it when convenient. The local suppliers that carry it are normally 9-5 and closed on weekends. Our local tiny market near the lake Carries it, but is closed A lot of the time and has one pump and a small tank. Life is so tough!! Biggest thing is not to use the 15%ethanol under any circumstance. But, I'll bet we all know that already. Be careful out there!! Cb

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We were just up to the Atlantic provinces of Canada and none of the pumps were marked that the gas contained ethanol so we weren't sure but the Spyder went a lot further on a tank of gas than when we got back to the US. We didn't keep numbers but 10% seems right.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    (when you consider government subsidies with our tax money).
    Just for the record; the U.S. Congress did not extend the tariff and the tax credit, allowing both to end on December 31, 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    Non ethanol fuel around here is becoming more available . Seems more common with Citgo. Haven't seen anyone else jump on board. I have tried it my mileage dropped. The answer I got was it takes 2-3 tanks for computer to adjust. Don't know if this is true but figured if it was being it wasn't readily available was no sense of running it
    I assume when you say you are getting 100% gas you see a sign stating "Ethanol Free" or "Recreational Fuel".

I always thought it was ethanol-free if it didn't have the "Contains 10% Ethanol" sign, but that is not true.

I learned from a supplier, who said, unless it states "Ethanol Free" there is over a 90% chance it has ethanol in it -- no matter whether the "Contains 10% Ethanol" sign is there or not.

"We won't get fooled again!"... The Who

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    The computer adjustment angle may have some validity. But it is also very difficult to get an accurate MPG reading from 1 tank of fuel. With the small amount at fill up (usually 5 gallons or less) and the variance you can easily get with 'Full', it is very easy to get an inaccurate mileage number with just 1 tank.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

It costs twice as much to produce a gallon of ethanol than a gallon of gas. If there were no subsidies for ethanol production, production costs would jump to four times higher. Here are a few links. Some are 7 years old, but nothing has really changed much.

http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/...ison-test.html

www.cato.org/.../ethanol-makes-gasoline-costlier-dirtier

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...anol/13534077/ This one is new and very good.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Topshotta View Post
    Did you mean; Does it matter what year SPYDER the ethanol free gas is FOR? Up where I live the only ethanol free gas around here is 92 octane, which my 2013 RS-S seems to like.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Got us covered, in Alberta

It appears from the website and app, that Shell's and Superstore gas bar have all we need.
    It shouldn't be too difficult to keep that in mind when running low.
    Some Petro-Canada dealers also carry it.

Chas

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ETHANOL GAS

[QUOTE=bruiser;852210]It costs twice as much to produce a gallon of ethanol than a gallon of gas. If there were no subsidies for ethanol production, production costs would jump to four times higher. Here are a few links. Some are 7 years old, but nothing has really changed much.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...anol/13534077/ This one is new and very good.[/QUOTE.............. ...Ethanol gas is a Political Scam, nothing more nothing less....Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

Is anyone using additives like Seafoam to counteract the ethanol?

Spyder Garage

We have non-ethanol gas here. Don't recall seeing any ethanol gas anyplace in AK.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;852297]
    Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    It costs twice as much to produce a gallon of ethanol than a gallon of gas. If there were no subsidies for ethanol production, production costs would jump to four times higher. Here are a few links. Some are 7 years old, but nothing has really changed much.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...anol/13534077/ This one is new and very good.[/QUOTE.............. ...Ethanol gas is a Political Scam, nothing more nothing less....Mikeguyver
    SOOOOOOOOOOO CORRECT!!!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

RememberE=BajaRon;852175]The computeris aadjustment angle may have some validity. But it is also very difficult to get an accurate MPG reading from 1 tank of fuel. With the small amount at fill up (usually 5 gallons or less) and the variance you can easily get with 'Full', it is very easy to get an inaccurate mileage number with just 1 tank.[/QUOTE]

I agree Ron but as I stated Citgo Is about the only ones around here that carry it. Availability is the problem.
    Not worth the drive looking all over.
    Remember as a youngster could by 110 at the pump. Saturday night fuel

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;852297]
    Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post

I don't disagree with that statement at all.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards