Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder or 1980s Hyundai

I traded my 2010 gold wing for a 2008 rs spyder. The spyder has 5000miles on it... My thought was that it would be an all weather bike. Rode this bike for 2 weeks and one day it just died out right in the alley way. Had to push it 1/4 mile back to the house.Had them pick it up. They got it to me a week later . Now the dps ..fss and anything else this thing can come up with is popping up. And I have some kind of orange gecko looking thing on the speedometer side ...it goes into "limp home mode"...I hate this motorcycle now . And it has seriously screwed with my life. ! So now I'm stuck with an undependable-1980s Hyundai of a motorcycle...how can I make this thing work for me? So far I think getting one of these was an EPIC MISTAKE ..and seriously , I am even considering taking the hit and voluntary repo ing it...I am disgusted and hate these motorcycles now.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of your woes. It truly sounds like you are the perfect candidate for divesting of the 08 Spyder. Even at any cost or repossession as you mentioned.

I am not offering much advice since it looks like you have your mind made up and just wanted to do what we call a rant post.

It does sound like you bought someone's cast off.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-02-2014 at 01:37 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Electro_cat View Post
    ...I am disgusted and hate these motorcycles now.
    I'm sorry you are having problems, but aren't you being a little harsh . . . you bought a machine with 50,000 miles on it, don't know what is wrong with it (could be something minor . . . or not) . . . and you now hate them all? Dad always referred to buying a used vehicle as "buying someone else's problems."

What did the dealer say?

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    I'm sorry you are having problems, but aren't you being a little harsh . . . you bought a machine with 50,000 miles on it, don't know what is wrong with it (could be something minor . . . or not) . . . and you now hate them all? Dad always referred to buying a used vehicle as "buying someone else's problems."

What did the dealer say?
    Wrong . It has 5000 miles not 50k I would never buy a motorcycle with that many miles.
    yes they are betas.
    did you read my post ? Or skim it.? Smh ?
    the dealer/scam artist told me it was a sensor...but they brought it back and now it is worse.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    we need alot more information in order to help you.
    So did you read my post? I don't know how much more info I can give.

Spyder Garage

Hate to be mean, but what is the vaue of a 2010 Wing ? I would think it was much more then a 08 Spyder. the next thing with any motorcycle anymore, real low miles on a older machine. Some said, 50,000 I read 5,000 miles. Motorcycles sit around and things go bad. I seem to remember from somewhere, real low miles for older Wings usually result in $1,200 car rebuild.
    But as said above, what is going on ? Step by Step. There are people on here that will try and usually do a lot ot help, if you give them the facts.Do you have owners manual ?

As a example, a lot of Spyderws will go into limp mode if you barely touch the brakes for a few seconds with using the. Fix: Shut off take out and wait five mins. Restart and watch you foot barely touch the pedal.
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

FIRST THEY GAVE ME A LOT FOR MY TRADE...
    SECOND : I am a pilot , I am an electronics tech, I am an internet tech support rep. The reason I am saying this is because I don't need people assuming I am an empty head.
    THIRD: I already posted what is going on.
    Fourth : been on bikes 25 years. I know how to ride and I thus riding the brake is not something I do.
    Fifth: repeating. Have some orange gecko indicator on the spedo side. Have no frakin idea what it is. Have scoured the net . No info on that. Have Vss ,dps ...no idea why. Shop said they fixed it. It is far worse. Bike was conking out. Now it in limp home mode.
    All of this info was in my beginning post .
    The LEMON HAS 5000 miles on it. NOT 50k
    Lemony goodness...

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post
    Hate to be mean, but what is the vaue of a 2010 Wing ? I would think it was much more then a 08 Spyder. the next thing with any motorcycle anymore, real low miles on a older machine. Some said, 50,000 I read 5,000 miles. Motorcycles sit around and things go bad. I seem to remember from somewhere, real low miles for older Wings usually result in $1,200 car rebuild.
    But as said above, what is going on ? Step by Step. There are people on here that will try and usually do a lot ot help, if you give them the facts.Do you have owners manual ?

As a example, a lot of Spyderws will go into limp mode if you barely touch the brakes for a few seconds with using the. Fix: Shut off take out and wait five mins. Restart and watch you foot barely touch the pedal.
    Last edited by Electro_cat; 08-01-2014 at 10:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

I had 5000 miles on my spyder in less than 5 months of ryding. Sounds like you bought a disaster that may or may not have had the required recall work done on it. I will be over 20,000 miles by the end of the weekend and have never seen "limp mode".

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

The first thing I'd suspect would be a bad battery, right after that, some serious corrosion in/on the battery connections. An '08 with only 5K miles was more than likely an occassional ride, and possibly not up to date in the firmware or anything else. Have the dealer check it out.

john

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    The first thing I'd suspect would be a bad battery, right after that, some serious corrosion in/on the battery connections. An '08 with only 5K miles was more than likely an occassional ride, and possibly not up to date in the firmware or anything else. Have the dealer check it out.

john
    Had the dealer check it out. They said they fixed it. ..I feel like I'm spinning my wheels here. I had them check it out and they said they test rode it ten miles ..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    I had 5000 miles on my spyder in less than 5 months of ryding. Sounds like you bought a disaster that may or may not have had the required recall work done on it. I will be over 20,000 miles by the end of the weekend and have never seen "limp mode".

Just sayin'............
    Well I hope you never see limp home mode. As it is. I'm hyper screwed . I have this POS and I have to eat it.

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes..!!

gotta say if this is the first incident seems a hasty reaction. Have you read any...on this site..?? You could have loose battery connections which will give you all the faults you are talking about. Did you pull up any codes..?? Your techy should be easy for you and the spyder code app will let you know what is going on and what to do about it. With all your credencials you above all should realize these are computer driven system with many possible problems. Give up if you must but in my opinion you did not give the 08 a fair chance...they are great machine if its what you want...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    gotta say if this is the first incident seems a hasty reaction. Have you read any...on this site..?? You could have loose battery connections which will give you all the faults you are talking about. Did you pull up any codes..?? Your techy should be easy for you and the spyder code app will let you know what is going on and what to do about it. With all your credencials you above all should realize these are computer driven system with many possible problems. Give up if you must but in my opinion you did not give the 08 a fair chance...they are great machine if its what you want...
    Ok so I have no manuals on this lemon. I have no one telling me anything in here. ...I checked the battery cables . I checked the fuses . ..i do not know how to access the computer interface. Is it obd2 ? I could interface my Bluetooth obd2 and read the diags off my tablet . I HAVE ASKED QUESTION IN HERE . AND NOBODY SEEMS TO KNOWi...I have scoured the net . Nothing on that orange gecko light on the dash ...so yea I checked all the normal stuff . But nothing ! And this message board is of little help. You guys seem like a nice bunch. But I'm not finding answers here. Is it because I am a woman? I get a lot of static at flight school from guys...not sure why...it would for starters be nice to have a PDF a data sheet a tattoo off a drunken sailers ass. Anything! with some information on it. I need to access codes , what the lights mean on the dash . (The ones that are not obvious ) I could use more info. But it is not to be found! Yes I am a tech. Yes I am a pilot (student ) but even with the cessna skyhawk R model I have access to much information ...so I was under the apparent mistaken impression that I could ask and receive some kinda info. But the nerve damage in my right hand is getting aggravated from typing a book and getting no answers. ..and I'll be honest I'm getting a bit stressed and emotional . ..so lemony freshness. All this effort for nothing.
    Last edited by Electro_cat; 08-01-2014 at 11:08 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You can download your owners manual here:

http://www.brp.ca/spyder/owners/guid...formation.html

Spyder Garage

I think the first thing would be to pull the codes. If you have an android phone go to the google store and search Spyder Codes. Download the app. Once downloaded it has a step-by-step how to pull the codes for your particular model. Once you have the codes, you can then go to the "codes" page in the app and it will tell you where to start. Hope this helps.
    As for a maintenance manual, i bought off ebay from green manuals, was arouns $25 a couple years ago.

The app is also in the apple version as well.
    Last edited by M109Dreamer; 08-01-2014 at 11:46 PM.
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    You can download your owners manual here:

http://www.brp.ca/spyder/owners/guid...formation.html

Odd but but I tried that site . It show me the cover but does not download or show me any other pages. It might not be compatible with iPad (a device I use because foreflight for aviation won't work on android tablets) I'm tired of messing with this . I need alcohol...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    I think the first thing would be to pull the codes. If you have an android phone go to the google store and search Spyder Codes. Download the app. Once downloaded it has a step-by-step how to pull the codes for your particular model. Once you have the codes, you can then go to the "codes" page in the app and it will tell you where to start. Hope this helps.
    As for a maintenance manual, i bought off ebay from green manuals, was arouns $25 a couple years ago.

The app is also in the apple version as well.
    Yea I will check it out . Do you know what that orange gecko indicator is?

Spyder Garage

Yea I will check it out . Do you know what that orange gecko indicator is?
    I am guessing what you are seeing is the outline picture of the Spyder with the corresponding limp mode. That what it sounds like from you discription.

Whats the year make and model of you Spyder. I didnt catch that in the thread?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    I am guessing what you are seeing is the outline picture of the Spyder with the corresponding limp mode. That what it sounds like from you discription.

Whats the year make and model of you Spyder. I didnt catch that in the thread?
    So I put all the info on my first post. Which nobody reads ...

Spyder Garage

So I put all the info on my first post. Which nobody reads ...
    My bad. People read the posts and everyone is here on SL is here to help, some things get missed as people read through the thread.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If it's #5 in the pic then that would be the vss light(vehicle stability system). Normally that would only light up under low traction conditions like wheel spin, fishtailing etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    If it's #5 in the pic then that would be the vss light(vehicle stability system). Normally that would only light up under low traction conditions like wheel spin, fishtailing etc.
    that helps. Thanks...I bought a lemon. I can't catch a f ing break . I'm going to dump this damn thing ..spyders might be good motorcycle. I guess I will never get to know.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You didn't mention in your post whether its a Can Am dealer you are working with or a not. If it isn't a Can Am dealer definitely get it to one. If it is - I would suggest taking it to another. You might also call a reputable dealer even if they aren't in your area and ask to speak to thier tech and explain your situation. There are lots of threads on great dealers across the country that would likely listen to your issue and suggest possible faults. The dealer has nothing to gain by not fixing your bike - so if there are issues then they might just need a hint of what to try next - especially if they arent a can Am Dealer.

I bought a used one myself and feared it had not been treated well. I found a dealer about 100 miles from me was super helpful over the phone and I ended up doing business with them later on.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Here's some basic gauge cluster troubleshooting from the owners manual:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Let's get this figured out!

Sorry, reading about your obvious Spyder plight must be upsetting for you, understandable. You might have to do a search for the best local Spyder sales and service in your area, and have an honest evaluation done there.

It's too bad some dealerships, don't take their Can Sm Spyder sales much more seriously.

I hope you can find the nearest shop that gives you proper care and correct answers to your questions.

Please keep us informed what goes down. Thanks.

Wishing for you, much Better luck in the near future.
    Oh, by the way, I never even considered that you are a female, anyway that shouldn't matter these days, where equality seems to be the norm we strive for.

Rooting for you to be another winner here.

Chas
    Last edited by ChasCS; 08-02-2014 at 01:35 AM.