Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Question Brakes Feel soft or am I heavy handed? ANYONE?

I just recently had to change off the right side root rest on my NEW 2014 RSS. And in the process of dissembling i kind of leaked out some brake fluid from the master cylinder. Not to the point where i let the reservoir run dry, but enough that i got an error code on my display when i was done, letting me know that i was low. I replaced the missing brake fluid and topped off the reservoir and the warning stopped i pumped up the brake peddle a few times cause it felt soft at first and the got a little stiffer. Now here are some facts before i ask my question. I use a lever cause i am disabled so i push down on the brake peddle with my hand. Now i don't know if it is because i am heavy handed or the fact that i haven't rode my bike for weeks and forgot how it felt to hit the breaks. So really my main question is there any way i can stiffen up the compression in my brake pedal so that i stop on a dime and feel the secure ness in my hand when i push down on the pedal.

The image below shows the lever i am using.

IMG_3843.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I LIKE your setup!

You MIGHT need to have your brakes bled... Since that's way beyond my non-existent mechanical skills, I'd suggest that you let a dealer handle the chore.
    Good Luck! Please let us know what they find!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Soft, mushy feel means air in the line. Like Bob said, the brakes need to be bled. The manual says it needs to be done with BUDS hooked up. Some folks say it can be done without BUDS. Your call.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Default Bubbles..!!

agree you may have air in the line. Old models you could hold pressure on the pedal pop the bleeder open and shut and release the air. Now I see everyone saying you need buds as well. That does require a visit to the dealer...just make sure your resevoirs are full...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The reason why it feels soft is because you are compressing air. If you can't bleed it right , you must take it to the dealer. This is a safety issue and you cannot ignore it.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Hey there

Welcome to the Fray... I like your innovation of the brake lever. awesome!!

Bleed the lines or you may bleed, indeed... It's a quick fix, that may save your life.

Happy Trails.

Chas

Spyder Garage

The reason for using BUDS in the bleeding process is to get the ABS module bled, it still requires that a manual bleed be done as part of the process.

If your brakes are to the point where it isn't safe to ride it to the dealer a manual bleed can at least get it rideable.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I did my brakes by putting a hose from each bleeder to a cup with fluid in it. I opened the bleeder and pumped fluid out and kept topping off the tank until I got fresh fluid and no air out. Probably took me an hour.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White