Spyder Garage

Thumbs up BRP passenger backrest question

I'm considering purchasing this:

http://store.spyder.brp.com/product/...enger_Backrest

I was under the impression that in order to mount it to my 2012 RSS, I would also need the sport rack. Is the sport rack included with this item? Is that what they are referring to as the "rear cover included" ?

I've also heard about the deck lid...not sure how that part plays into this equation.

Any insight is appreciated as I prepare to dig deep into the pocket for this expensive purchase! I know that the fiance will be much happier and feel safer if we do this mod so really considering it. Just want to get all the facts straight.

Thanks!
    2012 Neutron Green RSS SE5 | Two Brothers Dual Carbon Fiber exhaust | BRP Xenon HID kit! | CalSci Tinted Shorty windshield| Throttlemeister CC | Baja Ron sway bar | TricLED halo ground effects kit | Sena SMH10's |

The wifey on Tessa the day we brought her home!

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Rack is extra

I just sold the one I had for $150.00 you will need the rack to be able to use it.
    a better option would be, get the rack have it installed or you do it and then buy
    a Givi or other brand trunk and mount it on the rack then you will not only have a backrest
    for the passenger but you will have a trunk to put your helmet in.
    Dave
    PS I bet it would be less expensive as well

Quote Originally Posted by StealthSpyder View Post
    I'm considering purchasing this:

http://store.spyder.brp.com/product/...enger_Backrest

I was under the impression that in order to mount it to my 2012 RSS, I would also need the sport rack. Is the sport rack included with this item? Is that what they are referring to as the "rear cover included" ?

I've also heard about the deck lid...not sure how that part plays into this equation.

Any insight is appreciated as I prepare to dig deep into the pocket for this expensive purchase! I know that the fiance will be much happier and feel safer if we do this mod so really considering it. Just want to get all the facts straight.

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Don't need the sport rack for this one, this is a new design BRP backrest.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post
    Don't need the sport rack for this one, this is a new design BRP backrest.
    Wow, interesting. Do you know how this new design works to where it doesn't need the sport rack? Why did the old design need a sport rack?
    2012 Neutron Green RSS SE5 | Two Brothers Dual Carbon Fiber exhaust | BRP Xenon HID kit! | CalSci Tinted Shorty windshield| Throttlemeister CC | Baja Ron sway bar | TricLED halo ground effects kit | Sena SMH10's |

Spyder Garage

Wow, interesting. Do you know how this new design works to where it doesn't need the sport rack? Why did the old design need a sport rack?
    I have the backrest and you don't need anything else with it. The old design was a 2 piece backrest instead of this 1 piece solid backrest. There is a rear cover that comes with the backrest in case you want to take the backrest off and ride without it. The top box that have will bolt directly onto this backrest also if you're interested in that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Supernam View Post
    I have the backrest and you don't need anything else with it. The old design was a 2 piece backrest instead of this 1 piece solid backrest. There is a rear cover that comes with the backrest in case you want to take the backrest off and ride without it. The top box that have will bolt directly onto this backrest also if you're interested in that.
    Excellent. Good info! Thanks. Also...interested in this top box thing you mentioned. Extra storage is always good! Does anyone have a link? Not sure what that is.

Btw, this sounds really useful because anytime I put the backrest on would be because we are going on a longer than normal roadtrip. So, having additional storage would be awesome!

Spyder Garage

Excellent. Good info! Thanks. Also...interested in this top box thing you mentioned. Extra storage is always good! Does anyone have a link? Not sure what that is.

Btw, this sounds really useful because anytime I put the backrest on would be because we are going on a longer than normal roadtrip. So, having additional storage would be awesome!
    Your link above actually has the top box in the "Related Products" section in the bottom right of the page, or you can go here for a direct link http://store.spyder.brp.com/product/...476/_/Top_Case

Spyder Garage

Check out The SmoothSpyder backrest - I have it and love it. Adjusts forward for driver when passenger is not riding. And looks sylish to the lines of the Spyder.
    SmoothSpyder Backrest | Removed 'CanAm' graphics | ThermoTech II Wrapped Exhaust | 2014 Vented Side Panels | BajaRon Sway Bar | BajaRon Heim Links | Bump Skid (via SpyderQuest & SpyderPops) | Rivco drink bracket, reversed, with X-Grip for phone holder | BRP Ultra Touring Windshield | Givi Hard Saddlebags | Russell Day-Long Seat