Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Question: 2014 RT Rear Tire - any luck with BRP to help with replacement labor cost

I know there's been a lot of threads on tires for the 2014 RT rear tire....

Just wondering if anyone has been successful for BRP to help out with costs for the first replacement?

I have my 2014 RT going into the dealer in about 3 weeks and will be replacing the OEM rear tire with the Kumho Ecsta AST (same size as OEM). The Spyder will have around 7500 miles on it by then and don't dare go much more with that OEM tire.

I've sent an email to BRP, but they said to talk to the dealer. It's not a dealer issue, it's a spec. issue with BRP. All I would ask BRP to do is pay for the labor to replace it as I already purchased the tire.

Anyways, any advice / input would be appreciated. I will take photos and odometer reading for documentation -- here's what it looks like now.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Not yet..!!

as far as I know there hasbeen nothing...there was the mention of a bad batch, guess they have to deal with the manufacturer...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your tire looks just like mine did at about the same miles. Haven't heard of anyone getting anywhere on the rears. Some did get their front tires replaced though. You may want to keep the tire, I had the tire shop dispose of mine which may not have been a good idea.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here are pictures of mine
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The trick with tires...

...You have no proof whatsoever of how careful and gentle of a rider you are on the bike.
    They'd have some warranty claims adjuster accuse you of putting so much rubber down on the roads (probably while drunk to the gills!), that the Towns around you had to bring in road-graders, to clean the mess up...

I wish you the best of luck; but I'd not sit with your "hand on your fanny", waiting for the check!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The trick with tires...

...You have no proof whatsoever of how careful and gentle of a rider you are on the bike.
    They'd have some warranty claims adjuster accuse you of putting so much rubber down on the roads (probably while drunk to the gills!), that the Towns around you had to bring in road-graders, to clean the mess up...

I wish you the best of luck; but I'd not sit with your "hand on your fanny", waiting for the check!
    You're right Bob! In my opinion, it's not a warranty issue as much as a known issue across the board with this 2014 RT rear tire. That's why I sent BRP an email hoping they knew that it was a known premature wearing tire and would "assist" with a portion of the first tire replacement. It's more the principle than the $'s here. I am ready to pay for the tire change, just checking the integrity of BRP to see if they stand behind their vehicles (especially one that cost over $30K!).

The BUDS report I received at my first service shows what RPM's etc. that I've been running -- which is conservative and so BRP would have documentation as the "type" of driver I am. You are absolutely correct that they do not know if I'm burning the tire off by laying down rubber somewhere - but I'm not....

Tires are tricky and you would think BRP would go back to the supplier, Kenda, for a refund on a tire that wears prematurely for many of us that have the 2014 RT. Maybe BRP will not go back to Kenda as BRP probably spec'ed the tire. There are so many of us with this same wear pattern and premature tire life with the 2014 RT.....

I hope my Kumho will get at least 15K miles....we will see! Oh well, out with the old (Kenda) and in with the new (Kumho)!
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 07-31-2014 at 05:55 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's right: you got the "junk" out from under your trunk, and now you've got some of the good stuff out back!
    (I like the idea of the BUDS report, showing rpm ranges... )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jim&Teresa View Post
    I know there's been a lot of threads on tires for the 2014 RT rear tire....

Just wondering if anyone has been successful for BRP to help out with costs for the first replacement?

I have my 2014 RT going into the dealer in about 3 weeks and will be replacing the OEM rear tire with the Kumho Ecsta AST (same size as OEM). The Spyder will have around 7500 miles on it by then and don't dare go much more with that OEM tire.

I've sent an email to BRP, but they said to talk to the dealer. It's not a dealer issue, it's a spec. issue with BRP. All I would ask BRP to do is pay for the labor to replace it as I already purchased the tire.

Anyways, any advice / input would be appreciated. I will take photos and odometer reading for documentation -- here's what it looks like now.....
    Edit Oooooooooooooops. I see this is a 2014 thread.

I believe early on in 2014 there were a couple people that posted their tire was replaced by the dealer. I am thinking this was a customer service thing rather than a BRP sanction thing.

Your tire looks just like my original looked like at 8,900 miles. I replaced it--but was not given any special deals. The replacement tire has almost 12,000 on it and is starting to show the center wear. I have consistently got about 15,000 out of BRP OEM Kendas.

I am going in tomorrow for my 20,000 mile oil/filter service. Am going to have the rear tire pressure dropped from 28 to 26 to see if "ballooning" will be lessened, hence less wear to the center. I plan on replacing the tire at the beginning of next season.

Let us know what you find out.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-01-2015 at 01:59 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Could last as long as oil change cycle

I was at the dealer on Friday getting repairs done from being rear ended back in June. I asked about having the rear tire changed and going to a non Kenda tire. My dealer does not have a problem mounting a different tire. He seemed to think that I will be doing great if I get 8k miles out of my tire since he sees them come in with only 3500 to 4500 miles for a new tire. I would just like to see the tire make it has long as an oil change. I have a tire dealer who can get me whatever tire I decide to go with, no questions asked as far as vehicle. He even sells Kenda car tires and said people like them.
    Part of my repairs was a laser alignment. What a difference it made in the handling.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since we've been talking about getting more life out of our tires; don't forget about the rear wheel bearings...
    Since it's usually about the handiest to service them when doing a tire change; keep in mind that we've had instances of them failing at about 25,000 miles or so.
    Don't let your tires outlast the other important parts back there!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Since we've been talking about getting more life out of our tires; don't forget about the rear wheel bearings...
    Since it's usually about the handiest to service them when doing a tire change; keep in mind that we've had instances of them failing at about 25,000 miles or so.
    Don't let your tires outlast the other important parts back there!
    Thank you for bringing this to our attention. When I had my Harley this seemed to be the forgotten thing. No one could understand it when every other time I replaced a tire I had the bearings replaced.

Spyder Garage

Good evening to all on the site! New to CanAm Spyders and to the site. We're picking up my wife's 2014 RT-S this Thursday! My question is: Can you get a Michelin tire in the correct size for the rear? We're trading in a GL-1500/ Motortrike (and an '07 Yamaha VStar 1100 Classic) on the Spyder. Can't wait!
    I own a Honda Valkyrie which I'm going to trike next year. I've always liked trikes and my wife fell in love with the Spyder once she test drove it! Any info on other brands of tires would be apprecated.
    Thanks,
    Larry & Colleen
    firea100 & mean colleen
    East China Mi.