Spyder Garage

Question Warranty (Education Needed) and purge valve

Hi,

Wondering if you kids who have been around the block a time or two could answer this.....Who decides what is covered under the BRP warranty and what is not....is it solely based on dealer opinion or is there set criteria? I have the factory warranty and there was a promo for the BEST at the time I bought the bike. The dealer told me it is for anything found to be a manufacture defect. Is it as simple as that? I am asking because I have read a lot of posts on SL and I get the impression new owners seem to be getting a lot covered under their warranty and I just want to make sure I am not being misled by the dealer...

I have a 2013 ST Limited - I purchased it in March of '14 - it was a demo model with 1180 miles on it. Recently I had the error P1175 - which I know is fuel system related. It is at the dealer right now for that, and the sticky brake pedal. They e-mailed me today that they are ordering a new purge valve and the cost to me for parts and labor will be $214.65. I have read a lot about that crazy little purge valve on this site and know that others have had issues with it, etc. Has anybody had its replacement covered?

And btw they said they cannot "re-create" the brake pedal issue so they are not doing anything. Damn! They must have figured out I was making it up!

I apologize for my warranty stupidity. (I should read the paperwork, I know)

- Susan

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You should not be paying anything for the purge valve replacement. That is certainly covered under the warranty. I had mine replaced last year and I didn't pay anything. Go back to your dealer and demand your money back.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Not only is the purge valve covered under regular warranty, it is an emissions control item and is covered under that. I agree with Ann get your money back. Unless you have done something that the dealer has determined has cause the purge valve to fail, that changes things.

In regards to your brake pedal sticking. If you mean your brake lights stay on sometimes. I have not seen it but there is suppose to be a service bulletin on this. Tell your dealer to get off his and do things right.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Arrow Owners Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Spyglass View Post
    Hi,

Wondering if you kids who have been around the block a time or two could answer this.....Who decides what is covered under the BRP warranty and what is not....is it solely based on dealer opinion or is there set criteria? I have the factory warranty and there was a promo for the BEST at the time I bought the bike. The dealer told me it is for anything found to be a manufacture defect. Is it as simple as that? I am asking because I have read a lot of posts on SL and I get the impression new owners seem to be getting a lot covered under their warranty and I just want to make sure I am not being misled by the dealer...

I have a 2013 ST Limited - I purchased it in March of '14 - it was a demo model with 1180 miles on it. Recently I had the error P1175 - which I know is fuel system related. It is at the dealer right now for that, and the sticky brake pedal. They e-mailed me today that they are ordering a new purge valve and the cost to me for parts and labor will be $214.65. I have read a lot about that crazy little purge valve on this site and know that others have had issues with it, etc. Has anybody had its replacement covered?

And btw they said they cannot "re-create" the brake pedal issue so they are not doing anything. Damn! They must have figured out I was making it up!

- Susan
    Go to your OM. See Emissions Warranty section. Coverage is for 5 years or 19,000 on all emission parts. Don't let the California verbage confuse you.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Your bike is still under factory warranty but for giggles what did they tell you the reason why you would be charged??

Unless you took the valve out and kicked it around the yard for a while and it is PHYSICALLY damaged there no reason why it should not be covered as long as your still with in the mileage stated by the warranty

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Bajaron sway bar and links

Spyder Garage

Red face

Excellent! Fortunately I have not paid yet. You all are awesome, thank you!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billrob71 View Post
    Your bike is still under factory warranty but for giggles what did they tell you the reason why you would be charged??

Unless you took the valve out and kicked it around the yard for a while and it is PHYSICALLY damaged there no reason why it should not be covered as long as your still with in the mileage stated by the warranty
    They did not tell me a reason - just sent an email with an invoice saying they are ordering the part. I have a feeling that this is what they do unless people question them. Which I will now - thanks to all of you.

When I dropped it off I asked what determines warranty coverage and guy said 'manufacture defects'. I don't do anything crazy when I ride it, I know low rpm's is not good so I stay above 4500. I always use 93 or 95 Octane gas. I only have about 2500 miles on her.

Spyder Garage

Default Free Purge Valve replacement

My Purge Valve malfunctioned on my way to the Owners Event in Durango last month. It's a 2013 RTS with around 15,000 miles at the time. The Event didn't start until Thursday that week. I was there Sunday. I took it to the dealer when they opened on Tuesday, not knowing why my Spyder was running like it was.

The dealer there took the time to run their diagnostics and told me it was a bad purge valve, but unfortunately they didn't have the parts to replace it. They told me to take it to the Mechanics Tent at the Event on Thursday. There was NO CHARGE for their valuable time.

BRP did the replacement at the Event. Again - NO CHARGE.

Out with the old - Blue 2013 Spyder RTS SE5
    In with the new - Black/Silver 2015 RTS SE6
    Special Series
    Blue 2012 RT622 Trailer - now vinyl wrapped as Black/Silver

Spyder Garage

Hi,

- Susan
    I have had 4 replaced, no charge on any of them!

Spyder Garage

I had one replaced on my BEST Warranty for $50 copay as it just after my 2yr warranty expired,get the BEST ext warranty(you can buy it until your original 2 yr factory warranty expires)
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedDBA View Post
    My Purge Valve malfunctioned on my way to the Owners Event in Durango last month. It's a 2013 RTS with around 15,000 miles at the time. The Event didn't start until Thursday that week. I was there Sunday. I took it to the dealer when they opened on Tuesday, not knowing why my Spyder was running like it was.

The dealer there took the time to run their diagnostics and told me it was a bad purge valve, but unfortunately they didn't have the parts to replace it. They told me to take it to the Mechanics Tent at the Event on Thursday. There was NO CHARGE for their valuable time.

BRP did the replacement at the Event. Again - NO CHARGE.
    It is good that it was no charge & it would appear you were still under warranty.

We had a member who lost his clutch at SpyderFest this year on his way back to the hotel from the drag strip, where he did race. Pitbull picked up his Spyder & RT622 trailer that night and took it to the BRP folks at the vendor village the next morning. They worked on it 3 hours and gave it to the owner with a new clutch. No charge & this Spyder was well out of warranty. He said he was willing to pay, thinking it would be $1000 or more, & they told him they were there to get folks riding, not take their money! Great company!
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Smile

Hi,

- Susan
    An update: I called the dealer about the $214 invoice and the fact that this is covered under the warranty as part of the EVAP system for 5 years or 19,000 miles (Thank you Jerbear). I was put on hold and he came back and said yes, it's covered - no problem. "There is no charge to you". I am relieved but feel bad for the consumer that might take the dealer's initial word for it...maybe it was just part of their business process to produce invoices then later tell people it's covered.....(or not). Anyway, you ALL gave me the confidence to call and state the facts. Thanks again.

I also liked reading about the good companies and great service you guys have experienced. I hope to find the same.