Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question Shifting problem with my touring St spyder

Names Dark Side an I'm glad to be part of this group.
    For my 60th birthday i bought a 2011 touring spyder that had only 1100 miles on it. Show room condition. I'll post a photo of it later on my profile.
    As for now i have a question that i hope someone out there has an answer to.
    In the last few days, it only happens once in awhile, my bike won't up ****f and when it does it hits hard. Down shifting, If I do it myself or it does it automatically is hard as well an darn near throws me off. As I said it only has been doing this once an while. Stop at a few stop lights an the problem goes away. 3rd is my in town gear.
    The tech at the can am bike shop said it problably is because the oil is low.
    is this true or is the tech just pull in my leg? Or is there a much larger an more expensive problem at hand?
    Would like your feed back please.
    glad you all let me post this. Am looking forward to hearing from you all.
    Thanks
    Dark Side

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The bikes are very particular about the oil level... it seems that if they're about aix drops low; the shifting goes wonky!
    Follow the procedure as it is outlined in your manual, and get in the habit of checking it.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default shifting

What is an St Spyder ????......do you mean SE ????.......follow Bob's advice about OIL level.....always check it on level ground when it is FULLY warmed up........I only check my oil "AFTER EACH " ride then it's fully warm and I know it's good to go for the next ride if I'm in a Hurry.........Also make sure the OIL you are using isn't an " SM " rated oil....it's not good for the clutch.......Mikeguyver

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy

Sorry about the type os. Smash keys on phone, small print and bad eye sight. Not a good combonation. It's he'll getten old.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side View Post
    Sorry about the type os. Smash keys on phone, small print and bad eye sight. Not a good combonation. It's he'll getten old.

Whoever called them " the golden years" was colorblind, it's rust

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

More likely it's your oil issue, ensure you read your owners manual how you properly check the oil, good luck.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

How difficult is it to remove the side panel? (Much better. Using the home page now.) My 2011 didn't come with a manual. Guess I'll just have to get one. You see, the bike was pre owned.
    Thanks for the replies. It's a big help.
    Dark Side

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You can download your owners manual here:

http://www.brp.ca/spyder/owners/guid...formation.html

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How difficult is it to remove the side panel? (Much better. Using the home page now.) My 2011 didn't come with a manual. Guess I'll just have to get one. You see, the bike was pre owned.
    Panel removal and replacement is very clearly outlined in the manual as well. It is also very important to make sure that you get the panel securely back in place... Improperly-mounted panels have the ugly habit of blowing off the bike at highway speeds...

The manual, and this forum; are you two best sources for information about the bike!

(But don't pay attention to me; I'm only here for the floorshow! )

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Names Dark Side an I'm glad to be part of this group.
    For my 60th birthday i bought a 2011 touring spyder that had only 1100 miles on it. Show room condition. I'll post a photo of it later on my profile.
    As for now i have a question that i hope someone out there has an answer to.
    In the last few days, it only happens once in awhile, my bike won't up ****f and when it does it hits hard. Down shifting, If I do it myself or it does it automatically is hard as well an darn near throws me off. As I said it only has been doing this once an while. Stop at a few stop lights an the problem goes away. 3rd is my in town gear.
    The tech at the can am bike shop said it problably is because the oil is low.
    is this true or is the tech just pull in my leg? Or is there a much larger an more expensive problem at hand?
    Would like your feed back please.
    glad you all let me post this. Am looking forward to hearing from you all.
    Thanks
    Dark Side
    The three items I would add to the list after checking your oil level is the following:

• Double check to make sure you are not in "Trailer Mode". This might not be the situation though, since you state it only happens once in a while -- however, I would make sure. It will change the shifting of the unit, and if you are not used to it, it can be like you explained.
    • The shifting-sensor is also been known to be a culprit with shift problems.
    • Last, but not least is the vacuum hoses... if they are cracked and allow a vacuum leak it can affect your shifting. This can occur despite the low miles on the unit; but is less likely.

Good luck on getting resolved.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Bike goes in tomorrow morning. I will let everyone know what I find out.
    Maybe if someone else should have this problem it will give them a
    to fallow.
    Dark Side

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!!

I think they have you covered above...so welcome..!! Be safe and enjoy your ryde....know we are here to answer all questions spyder for you..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well cal me dumber than a rock but that was the problem, low oil level. Just got back from the shop, (Pro Caliber of Vancouver Wa). The guys there were great. Showed this old man how to pull the panel, check the oil and how to put the panel back on. Of course I got my butt chewed by the Can Am tech for not doing this before. Guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.
    Well again, I want to thank everyone for their response to this matter. Sure do hope others can benefit from my small problem and the solution.
    From the Dark Side…Ride with caution…Ride Safe…and most of all…Ride for Fun

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We're happier happier than clams in wet sand, that it wasn't a problem at all!
    You learned a little something important, and no animals were harmed during the filiming of this movie!
    NOW... go pile up some miles and smiles!

Spyder Garage

Well cal me dumber than a rock but that was the problem, low oil level. Just got back from the shop, (Pro Caliber of Vancouver Wa). The guys there were great. Showed this old man how to pull the panel, check the oil and how to put the panel back on. Of course I got my butt chewed by the Can Am tech for not doing this before. Guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.
    Well again, I want to thank everyone for their response to this matter. Sure do hope others can benefit from my small problem and the solution.
    From the Dark Side…Ride with caution…Ride Safe…and most of all…Ride for Fun
    Hey stuff happens. Pumping some air through the shifter system causes no permanent harm. So drive on and have fun. Give the manual a read when a rainy day comes up.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

and on your new . Sounds and looks like you got the issue solved. Enjoy your new ryde.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red