Spyder Garage

Default Tessa, my 2012 RSS, is in the shop for the first time

Hey guys!

Well...about two weeks ago I noticed a very small quarter sized amount of liquid on the garage floor under the spyder. Figured I would start paying close attention to it and assumed I would have to be getting her down to the shop as a result. Rode her a couple more times and same thing. Next morning, small amount of oil leaked onto the garage floor underneath her. It was coming from directly under the engine metacentrically between the wheels about 6 inches back towards the seat.

Well, I had planned to get her down to the local spyder dealer soon anyways to get the Baja Ron sway bar, BRP HID xenon headlight kit, and spyderpops heat mods installed anyways. So I took her down yesterday and dropped her off. When I bought her less than 2 months ago, I also purchased an XtraRide 5 year warranty that covers everything and can be used at any dealer with only a $25 deductible.

So I got a call today and it turns out there was definitely oil leaking. Something about a seal or gasket. I don't remember the details; I should have written them down. But she said the master certified spyder tech said there was a faulty something or other and it wasn't necessarily caused by anything. The spyder only has 2500 miles. They said they coordinated with the warranty company and got authorization to pay for the entire claim! Fully covered! I was happy to hear that. They said about $275 in parts and $175 in labor, so less than two hours of work apparently. Anyone have any ideas as to what may have went given the symptoms and all?

So the warranty has already paid for 45% of itself in the first 3.3% of the warranty period. Seems to be on track for being a good idea to have gotten it , although I hope there are no more issues because that means she's gotta go into the shop!

In the meantime waiting for the parts to arrive to do the repair, they are going to install the aftermarket goodies. Should have her back all fixed up and with new sway bar and BRP HID kit and heat mods by beginning of next week!!

-=Stealth
    2012 Neutron Green RSS SE5 | Two Brothers Dual Carbon Fiber exhaust | BRP Xenon HID kit! | CalSci Tinted Shorty windshield| Throttlemeister CC | Baja Ron sway bar | TricLED halo ground effects kit | Sena SMH10's |

The wifey on Tessa the day we brought her home!

Spyder Garage

Default Not sure..!!

but most likely the water pump oil seal. Other could be the clutch cover/dyno cover gasket. But if it is all covered thats great but it should be brp covering this repair...jmo
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

From the lack of response, it appears that my post was one of those "cool story, bro!" posts lol. I guess I just like talking about my !!

2012 Neutron Green RSS SE5 | Two Brothers Dual Carbon Fiber exhaust | BRP Xenon HID kit! | CalSci Tinted Shorty windshield| Throttlemeister CC | Baja Ron sway bar | TricLED halo ground effects kit | Sena SMH10's |

Spyder Garage

I had the same leak on my 2012 RS. It was the water pump seal. Oh, and by the way... Cool story bro!

Registered Users GrumpySteelMan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Cool story broski.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I missed this one...
    Sorry!
    At least the cause has been found, and the Warranty did the heavy lifting...
    Sorry to hear that your "pride and joy", had to spend time in the shop...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

please dont ride like your dressed in the picture ,you will have some poor guy watching you and hitting something while looking at you.good to hear ever thing is geting fixed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by napper39 View Post
    please dont ride like your dressed in the picture ,you will have some poor guy watching you and hitting something while looking at you.good to hear ever thing is geting fixed.

Haha! That is my fiance and she generally does dress like that when she rydes with me on back lol! The spyder gets a TON of attention either way. In addition to the rarity of spyders in general, if they don't see it first, they'll definitely hear the two brothers dual exhaust. I literally see peoples heads turning as I go by, almost everyone. I actually didn't realize it garnered THIS much attention. I do like it but sometimes I just wanna ryde and enjoy the open road without feeling like every single person is watching me lol.

I'd be naive if I didn't acknowledge that with my girl on back wearing her usual spyder outfits...we didn't get even more attention though haha. One things for sure...we absolutely love this new exciting addition to our life and we take her out as much as possible!!
    Last edited by StealthSpyder; 08-01-2014 at 10:02 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    but most likely the water pump oil seal. Other could be the clutch cover/dyno cover gasket. But if it is all covered thats great but it should be brp covering this repair...jmo
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyder ri View Post
    I had the same leak on my 2012 RS. It was the water pump seal. Oh, and by the way... Cool story bro!

Yep...bingo! You guys nailed it. Just called the shop and asked to remind me what it actually was again.