Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Back again- 3rd time's a charm...?

Hello Spyderlovers,
    I'm back again on my third Spyder. I had a 2009 RS but the darling wife loved the look of the RT throne and so we got a 2011 RT which was really quite wonderful for us. We rode it from home in MA down to New Orleans and out to Santa Fe when the money ran low and we headed home. It was absolutely reliable and comfy, though a bit tight for two as I am very tall and my wife is um, not small.

We ran into a real financial pinch when i retired and I sold the RT getting a good dollar for it which tided us over the rough spot. One other reason I sold it was I was SURE that some great leap forward was about to happen- that suddenly they would come out with a front end that leaned, or a bigger motor and it would reduce the real value of my 2011. Well, I was partly right and don't know about the $$$ angle.

I used to ride with a friend who had a Victory Cross Country and I loved the looks and the way it handled, missing that lean into corners and the ability to single track through a mess of potholes and miss most, if not all, of them. The RT had wonderful suspension but the 3 wheel tracks made it hard to avoid rough spots.

We finally recovered from our financial problems and I bought a 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour. I love it. My wife and I were riding all around Acadia Park on it and having a great time- except I was a little wobbly at slow speeds and at one point I parked on a slight downhill and the Victory rolled forward as we were getting off leading to us dropping the bike with us under it. Thankfully the saddle bags and crash bars made it so it was no big deal. I don't think we even scratched the bike plus lots of folks came over and helped us old geezers up. It was funny in a way- but it led my wfe to conclude her 2 wheeling days were over. So here I had a brand new Victory whose purpose was to give enjoyment to two, to husband and wife, and now I was going to go solo, not a total disappointment as I love to ride solo, but I lost my riding partner and it just didn't seem right. We discussed it- trading in the Victory on a new RT but the Vic is so new I was gonna get killed on a trade so we did the crazy thing and I am keeping the 2 wheels and we added 3.

After looking at all the deals on 2013s and having had the 990 motor I thought I would love to make the leap to the 1330. My wife wanted BLING, so now my driveway has a white 2014 RT Limited with the Ultra seat, 25" vented windshield and a few more things on it and I have a fleet (2!) of motorcycles for the first time in my life. I feel lucky and blessed to have such cool toys in my retirement years. Here's to all your health and hapiness.
    Joe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jgwoods View Post
    Hello Spyderlovers,
    I'm back again on my third Spyder. I had a 2009 RS but the darling wife loved the look of the RT throne and so we got a 2011 RT which was really quite wonderful for us. We rode it from home in MA down to New Orleans and out to Santa Fe when the money ran low and we headed home. It was absolutely reliable and comfy, though a bit tight for two as I am very tall and my wife is um, not small.

We ran into a real financial pinch when i retired and I sold the RT getting a good dollar for it which tided us over the rough spot. One other reason I sold it was I was SURE that some great leap forward was about to happen- that suddenly they would come out with a front end that leaned, or a bigger motor and it would reduce the real value of my 2011. Well, I was partly right and don't know about the $$$ angle.

I used to ride with a friend who had a Victory Cross Country and I loved the looks and the way it handled, missing that lean into corners and the ability to single track through a mess of potholes and miss most, if not all, of them. The RT had wonderful suspension but the 3 wheel tracks made it hard to avoid rough spots.

We finally recovered from our financial problems and I bought a 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour. I love it. My wife and I were riding all around Acadia Park on it and having a great time- except I was a little wobbly at slow speeds and at one point I parked on a slight downhill and the Victory rolled forward as we were getting off leading to us dropping the bike with us under it. Thankfully the saddle bags and crash bars made it so it was no big deal. I don't think we even scratched the bike plus lots of folks came over and helped us old geezers up. It was funny in a way- but it led my wfe to conclude her 2 wheeling days were over. So here I had a brand new Victory whose purpose was to give enjoyment to two, to husband and wife, and now I was going to go solo, not a total disappointment as I love to ride solo, but I lost my riding partner and it just didn't seem right. We discussed it- trading in the Victory on a new RT but the Vic is so new I was gonna get killed on a trade so we did the crazy thing and I am keeping the 2 wheels and we added 3.

After looking at all the deals on 2013s and having had the 990 motor I thought I would love to make the leap to the 1330. My wife wanted BLING, so now my driveway has a white 2014 RT Limited with the Ultra seat, 25" vented windshield and a few more things on it and I have a fleet (2!) of motorcycles for the first time in my life. I feel lucky and blessed to have such cool toys in my retirement years. Here's to all your health and hapiness.
    Joe

Well ........................................... Welcome home.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

, and welcome back!!
    Things usuallly tend to work out; don't they?
    How about a pic or two of the two of you, AND your bikes?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We are happy for you and your wife.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Congrats and enjoy.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sure you'll be happy to have the '14 instead of the '13.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

and Welcome Back. You are going to like the 2014 a lot.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Congrats, my wife rides the Spyder and I'm on 2 wheels.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Joe,

What a GREAT story. Retirement sure is fun, ain't it??

Now you've got not only two rides but two beautiful rides. That Victory Cross Country Tour is no sloucher. Enjoy them both!
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Well come on in

Hey, that's a pretty cool story. enjoy them toys...

Where are the Pictures man!!

Chas

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default working on it.

Where's the pictures you ask?
    I haven't had them out in the driveway together yet, but I will in the next day or two and take some pix
    Many thanks all, I feel at home again

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Time is of the essence

We are waiting, and don't have all week!! Hahaha

Eh, when ever you have time, proper light, the inclination, the desire to please a forum full of total "stranglers".
    Just get 'er done! ;-)

Enjoy that pair of fun machines, ride safe and long...

Chas

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..back..!!

good to have you back. Glad you made it through those financial rough spots and the spyder was able to help. Best payback is getting another and enjoying the ryde all over again... Congrats..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Third time

Does your Victory look like this ?Traveling in Style.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome back, I see that Victory gathering dust in your garage....
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    Does your Victory look like this ?Traveling in Style.jpg
    Like the one at the edge of the picture on the right, not that beauty in the middle.
    That is one fine looking bike!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Going to love the 14. Now let the wife get her motorcycle licence. She can be the Spyder rider.

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruthie View Post
    Going to love the 14. Now let the wife get her motorcycle licence. She can be the Spyder rider.
    This is the way to go!

Spyder Garage

Default I gotta agree

You ride the Victory, she rides the RT. When the day comes you want off of two wheels, you will know. Then sell it and decide if you want your own RT, as by then you won't be able to pry it away from her, or ride on the back of her bike! LOL! Welcome back! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    You ride the Victory, she rides the RT. When the day comes you want off of two wheels, you will know. Then sell it and decide if you want your own RT, as by then you won't be able to pry it away from her, or ride on the back of her bike! LOL! Welcome back! Joe
    My dear wife is a fair driver- but she doesn't drive my F350 long bed, crew cab, dually, and she doesn't drive/ride motorcycles except as a passenger. We are all better off for that. She looks at them, thinks about it, but then concludes an accident awaits. I don't try to persuade her different after airbags saved her in solo crashes twice. There's been many a time I wished she would drive but it has worked out well. We are in one piece and no one has ever been hurt.

(I do like having all the toys to myself)

Joe