Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default The slingshot unveil

Not as expensive as I thought it might be, but a $20,000 price tag for the base model will make it another niche machine and nothing more. The options are nice and it is different, but not enough to have me go running in there to buy one. I noticed that the local dealers whom will be selling these machines are within 20 mins of a can am dealership. Coincidence??????? I think not.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

I just watched the video. Very interesting. When I lived in SoCal, I would have been very interested in one. Now I am in Kansas. Ehh - - -

The premium one was $23,999. Not bad. Cheaper than a GW or some Syders.

Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

173hp, 166'lbs torque
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

Just signed up for a test ride.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

Kinda neat if you like a car type ride. The only storage it has is a compartment behind each seat that will hold a helmet in each side. That's a bummer, it must not be made for cross country touring at all. I am not comparing it with a Spyder or regular 3 wheeler either, I am sure it is a totally different market and is more car than anything (car engine and trans, side by side seating, steering wheel etc.) I like the looks of it and am anxious to even drive one but other than that it doesn't interest me for a touring motorcycle type machine. Kudos to Polaris for keeping the price in a good range starting at 19,999 and decked out with some options at about 23,500.
    Last edited by StanProff; 07-27-2014 at 07:17 PM.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Not bad for under $20k. I was worried it was going to cost around $30k. Now we'll have to see how long before they are released. Here are some more photos from the dealer show: http://www.slingshotforums.com/threa...ge-2#post-1617

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post
    Just signed up for a test ride.
    Ron,
    What dealership is offering test rides on them?
    I would LOVE to give one a try-out! It might even be enough to get the Missus out of her MINI!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ron,
    Are you going to Cycle Motion, Baer's, or ???
    Let me know; perhaps we can get a group to go wring these out!

Spyder Garage

Now THAT is what I'm talking about!

GREAT price point. Sure, it's a toy, but what a toy!

My only complaints:
    -- A *little* more storage would at least make this a day-tripper. Someplace to stow a backpack or two, or an overnight bag, would have gone a long way. Guess you can just keep your helmets on the seats and use the helmet storage...
    -- 1,700 lbs?! That number is pretty surprising. I guess they couldn't avoid it, seeing as they had to put the drivers into a cage of some kind.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Default Nice !!

Just not the same. Rode many sports cars in the 50/60's Morgans, MG's, Austin Healys, Triumphs Lotus etc. They were great machines very similar to the Slingshot. Now you can move into that catagory with the new Morgan, T-Rex, Elio (?) and now the Slingshot. But it is a nice looking machine from the front..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Ron,
    Are you going to Cycle Motion, Baer's, or ???
    Let me know; perhaps we can get a group to go wring these out!
    I signed up for griffin near Albany, only cause I bought my last sled there.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

How about those MPG's 25.5! 9.8 gallon tank = 250 according to the YouTube video

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Now THAT is what I'm talking about!

GREAT price point. Sure, it's a toy, but what a toy!

My only complaints:
    -- A *little* more storage would at least make this a day-tripper. Someplace to stow a backpack or two, or an overnight bag, would have gone a long way. Guess you can just keep your helmets on the seats and use the helmet storage...
    -- 1,700 lbs?! That number is pretty surprising. I guess they couldn't avoid it, seeing as they had to put the drivers into a cage of some kind.
    You will just need to wait for the aftermarket products, just as with the GS/RS. They didn't even have room for 2 helmets. Looks like it could have a trailer hitch just like the RT, but it's really not a touring machine.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But it DOES look like a pretty cool toy!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brogers57 View Post
    How about those MPG's 25.5! 9.8 gallon tank = 250 according to the YouTube video
    It should get much more than that. I would guess mid 40's.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    It should get much more than that. I would guess mid 40's.
    Should but their specs on the video say different.. Says 9.8 Gallons = 250 Miles. Doing the math it's 25.5. Check out the 1:58 mark.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You've posted this tidbit every place that the Slingshot has been mentioned today...
    Do you work for Arctic Cat??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post
    You will just need to wait for the aftermarket products, just as with the GS/RS. They didn't even have room for 2 helmets.
    Technically, the GS/RS has room for 2 helmets in the frunk, and is advertised as such. Trouble is, you gotta stow them just perfect, and then you will have no room for anything else.

About an hour after I got my RS, I gave up on ever putting more than one helmet in the frunk, what with all the tools, rags, goodies, etc. I keep in there.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

It's a cool looking vehicle but it's no Roadster, it's a car.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You've posted this tidbit every place that the Slingshot has been mentioned today...
    Do you work for Arctic Cat??
    I know haha.. Should be able to achieve more MPG than that.

Spyder Garage

I like it, think it looks cool, am surprised they have a fairly decent price point, compared to Spyder and Gold Wing. I know its not either, but feel it will be very appealing to many. I think they are going to sell very well.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    I noticed that the local dealers whom will be selling these machines are within 20 mins of a can am dealership. Coincidence??????? I think not.
    The Can-Am dealer near me also is a Polaris dealer.
    2012 RT-S5, Quantum Blue, "Bitsy". Just starting out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brogers57 View Post
    I know haha.. Should be able to achieve more MPG than that.
    Why?
    It's about 600 pounds heavieer than a new RT Limited.
    And how many 998 RTs have reported mileages down in the mid-twenties?

With a light "foot"; it'll probably do better... time will tell!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So... Do you think that this... 2014 RT Limited 01.jpg is the intended competition for it? 2015 Slingshot.jpg

Or is it these...
    Ace Morgan.jpgT-Rex.jpgProng.jpg