Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    arntufun

Slingshot Quest 2015 ???????????????

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like the SlingShot. I'm not sure I would buy one but I like it. The price is better than I expected. I don't really think its in the same "space" as the Spyder. It's more like a car than a motorcycle. I'd say it may compete with an RS/RSS but not an ST or RT. I did sign up for a test drive. Probably drive my Spyder to the test drive.

Here is what I REALLY like about the SlingShot. I think its going to force BRP to change up their thinking on the RS/RSS Spyders. The SlingShot shows what a fun sucker the over protective nanny is on the Spyder. The Polaris version of the nanny gives the driver/rider more fun freedom than the Spyder version. The Polaris version can also be disengaged. BRP is going to have to lighten up the nanny controls and make it able to be disengaged if they want the Spyder to win over a potential SlingShot buyer. Also, look at the touchscreen package on the SlingShot. Far and above the gauge package on the Spyder. Don't forget the power. 173hp. No reason BRP can't drop more power in the RS and RSS versions and again I'd say if they don't the Spyder is not going to win over a potential SlingShot buyer.

Not sure what the 2015 RS, RSS holds for changes but if it doesn't have more power and less nanny the RS/RSS buyer might be moving to a SlingShot? I think a leaning RS/RSS in 2015 would help bring a buyer to a Spyder over the SlingShot as well.

Things might get interesting over the next couple of years...............

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That extra 15" of width ends up doing to them; what Nanny does to us anyway!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    I like the SlingShot. I'm not sure I would buy one but I like it. The price is better than I expected. I don't really think its in the same "space" as the Spyder. It's more like a car than a motorcycle. I'd say it may compete with an RS/RSS but not an ST or RT. I did sign up for a test drive. Probably drive my Spyder to the test drive.

Here is what I REALLY like about the SlingShot. I think its going to force BRP to change up their thinking on the RS/RSS Spyders. The SlingShot shows what a fun sucker the over protective nanny is on the Spyder. The Polaris version of the nanny gives the driver/rider more fun freedom than the Spyder version. The Polaris version can also be disengaged. BRP is going to have to lighten up the nanny controls and make it able to be disengaged if they want the Spyder to win over a potential SlingShot buyer. Also, look at the touchscreen package on the SlingShot. Far and above the gauge package on the Spyder. Don't forget the power. 173hp. No reason BRP can't drop more power in the RS and RSS versions and again I'd say if they don't the Spyder is not going to win over a potential SlingShot buyer.

Not sure what the 2015 RS, RSS holds for changes but if it doesn't have more power and less nanny the RS/RSS buyer might be moving to a SlingShot? I think a leaning RS/RSS in 2015 would help bring a buyer to a Spyder over the SlingShot as well.

Things might get interesting over the next couple of years...............

I wonder how much of that power is going to get soaked up by the 1700 pounds. May still can't keep up with a spyder when all said and done. But still, there is a market for this, a market younger than the spyder market, and they will sell like crazy. You'll probably be tired of seeing them after this thing has been out 3 years.....LOL.

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I actually hope that you are correct!
    After all; bringing attention to ONE reverse trike, will help draw more attention to the rest!

Spyder Garage

Here is what I REALLY like about the SlingShot. I think its going to force BRP to change up their thinking on the RS/RSS Spyders. The SlingShot shows what a fun sucker the over protective nanny is on the Spyder. The Polaris version of the nanny gives the driver/rider more fun freedom than the Spyder version. The Polaris version can also be disengaged. BRP is going to have to lighten up the nanny controls and make it able to be disengaged if they want the Spyder to win over a potential SlingShot buyer.
    Slingshot is far wider, far lower, and far heavier, there is no need to have a Nanny anywhere near as aggressive as that required on the Spyder.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup!
    Dave,
    Isn't it fun how two folks can be on opposite sides of one thread; and "hand-in hand", in yet another?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Slingshot is far wider, far lower, and far heavier, there is no need to have a Nanny anywhere near as aggressive as that required on the Spyder.

Well, that's your opinion. I don't agree with it but that's OK I think the Spyder nanny could lighten up.

Using your logic the SlingShot doesn't need the rollbars or seatbelts but the Spyder does,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But the Spyder doesn't need rollbars; its got Nanny!
    Wait...
    Are we lost within a "circular argument"?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    Slingshot Quest 2015 ???????????????
    I heard you talked with my dealer today. Expecting them late in September. Not enough info to yet to make the deal, but look at paying list price.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't think that they'd be discounting them for the introduction to the showrooms!

Spyder Garage

Anyone in Minneapolis, Mn, you might want to check out the local track. Dealer are demoing them now.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

F**king Interesting!

This seems to come down closer to car than a motorcycle (although it can clearly keep out I can't imagine riding with other motorcycle riders because it has so much more structure around the rider). I think it would be much more like a sporty sports car than a more stable motorcycle.

I love that fact that they didn't copy the Spyder at all (I think the important similarities largely end at placing two wheels in the front, and one in the back), but really came much closer to the raptor, and at an accessible price point. BRP customers will certainly benefit from the competition,

I'd be afraid to see just how much more I'd need to exceed the posted limits by to feel like I'm riding at my limit.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But I'm still waiting for Elio, I'm hoping Elio will come sooner than later.

Now they have 50% discount on money you put in.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Bob Denman;848396]So... Do you think that this... is the intended competition for it?

Or is it these...
    [/QU
    I don't see it as spyder competition at all. To me if you want to "ride" something its the Spyder, regular trikes or two wheelers. If you want to drive something the Slingshot and, at it's pricepoint, beats the other three "drivers" hands down. The Slingshot is half a car, after all it is 6Ft 5in wide. My local Spyder dealer is also going to be selling the slingshots (they are a Victory, BRP and Polaris dealer). This past week they were required to install a garage Roll up door for the Slingshot to be driven in and out of the showroom. The was a requirement of Polaris for the dealer to sell them and it had to be completed before the rollout of the machine on Sunday (That is what I was told). I was there on Friday and the door was being installed. (By the way the existing doors that have been used up to this time with the Spyders and ATV's is a standard store front with double doors. I guess it is a 6 ft opening).
    Back to the question Bob, I think it is a novelty little hot rod and will be a blast to drive. But it is a totally different animal than the Spyder. I see a different customer for it.
    Last edited by StanProff; 07-28-2014 at 05:08 PM.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I see it as somewhere between a Spyder and an Elio. More sporty than an Elio, but not quite a motorcycle either. Actually looks like fun.
    2012 RT-S5, Quantum Blue, "Bitsy". Just starting out.

Spyder Garage

All the RT riders are missing the point, and I can understand why, The competition lies with the exhilaration of the ride and the pocket book.
    I have been looking for the RS to make a move to something, not sure what, but they have done nothing for 6 years with this model other than make it slower. It maybe to late for me, may keep the one I have for another 5 years cause the pocket book can't handle both.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post
    All the RT riders are missing the point, and I can understand why, The competition lies with the exhilaration of the ride and the pocket book.
    I have been looking for the RS to make a move to something, not sure what, but they have done nothing for 6 years with this model other than make it slower. It maybe to late for me, may keep the one I have for another 5 years cause the pocket book can't handle both.
    I agree that this is competition, it is just in a different category. This competes with a Spyder the same way a Spyder competes with a two wheeled motorcycle. In some cases, the market simply expands, and in others there are riders who would otherwise be on two wheels or a standard trike who prefer the Spyder. For me, I came the Spyder because of a great experience on an quad (with a somewhat similar body style to the Spyder).

The question is if this will actually help BRP in the long run by making the three wheeled concept more popular. Restaurants often build in clusters, because despite the competition from the restaurant next door, being part of a more visible group is of greater benefit than having less direct competition. Think of this as adding to a potential tipping point for three wheels.
    Last edited by MRH; 07-28-2014 at 05:54 PM. Reason: typo

Spyder Garage

I'm in. H owever did not show any storage at all

Spyder Garage

Well, that's your opinion. I don't agree with it but that's OK I think the Spyder nanny could lighten up.
    Not my opinion-- the professional judgment of BRP's and Polaris' engineers, who each recognize the genuine differences between a motorcycle-like trike and a car-like trike.

You can search through years of threads: every person with first-hand knowledge of how a Spyder rides without a Nanny, whether a BRP designer, Bosch engineer, or test rider, agreed the Spyder was unrideable without the Nanny, as surely as a modern fighter jet is unflyable without computers.

That doesn't mean the Nanny can't stand refinement-- it *has* been adjusted over the years-- but it's presence is required by the architecture of the roadster. Again, height, width and weight of the Spyder is obviously completely different from that of a car-like reverse trike such as the Slingshot, Morgan, X-Bow, etc. Those differences place different requirements on traction control, stability control, and ABS. And, no small detail, Spyder riders sit *atop* their vehicle, not nestled in it close to the ground. Even if the Spyder *could* corner without a Nanny, no rider is going to be comfortable atop one.

Physics matters.

But, as always, the challenge is out there: the Nanny *can* be disabled (there's a thread around here somewhere that walked through all the sensors that had to be disconnected). To my knowledge, despite the many musings here at SL, no one has ever taken the leap to follow through with their desires. Who will be first?
    Last edited by daveinva; 07-28-2014 at 11:55 PM.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post
    I heard you talked with my dealer today. Expecting them late in September. Not enough info to yet to make the deal, but look at paying list price.

Yes, I did. Griffins Motorsports is about a half hour from me......... The more I look at these, the more I see myself wanting one.

Spyder Garage

Default Slingshot

I think Polaris had to classify the Slingshot a reverse trike cycle because they would never have gotten DOT "Street Legal" blessing for an automobile. If I described the Sling**** to you and didn't mention that it only had three wheels, you would most likely say it was a car, Seat belts, roll bars and steering wheel.

I would rather ride my Spyder than drive my wife's Camry. I have a better view of the road on the . The Slingshot is so close to the ground, you are in danger of being run over by "Bubba" trucks. Having said that, I would still like to test drive one on a low traffic highway.
    2009 GS SE5 Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    Yes, I did. Griffins Motorsports is about a half hour from me......... The more I look at these, the more I see myself wanting one.
    So; will you have Holly chauffeur you around in it?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Its cool but its only available in stick shift. So would not be an option for me

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It might be worth learnin'...