Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad you are not the stat like the machine is bro. 13 must be an unlucky number for BRP
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

I would suggest to do a thorough inspection of the engine area for signs of wear any time you have the covers off specially on the right side where the fuel filter is at 10 inchs above the exhaust pipe, check hoses and clamps for leaks.

But even formula 1 cars costing many millions catch fire.
    Last edited by jtoro1; 07-27-2014 at 08:42 AM.

Spyder Garage

Glad u are ok. Understandable while your furious. BRP should be ashamed of themselves for not dealing with this problem. More worried about making money with the 14 than resloving ongoing issues with the 13.

I pray no one has to lose there life before they wake up

Spyder Garage

Wow, those pics are impressive! I am really glad you had that shoulder available and were able to get off in a hurry. Seems to me that the cheerleaders on this site were telling us that as soon as BRP got their 2014's launched, they would take care of us that have the mis-engineered 2013 vehicles. (sound of crickets...) I mean really, how could BRP say they tested their product and not one test detected any excessive heat around/under the seat, near the fuel tank, or under the tupperware? Sure didn't take long once they hit the streets! I would love to see a BMW type of program, yes the BUY BACK program. It would put me in quite a dilemma because I love riding the Spyder, but have real reservations about BRP and their R&D!

Spyder Garage

My feelings on this subject are well known and documented. The fix was a band aid at best. Promises of future RT fixes from BRP reps earlier this year have not materialized . Maybe the ST is good for 2014 some people have gotten free '14 panels for their 13 but others had to pay? Anyone who jumped ship from a 998 to a 1330 has no dog in this fight. Any shade tree fixes done may help, but, the issues of 10lbs of fiery hot crap stuffed in a 5lb Tupperware bag remain. I asked for a special rebate for '13 owners to upgrade maybe a buy back is in order. BRP Steve do you see what GM is going through and they had millions of units with a few lemons you guys got a bunch of lemons in a small bag IMHO.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    This sounds as if it's going to have to be a very interesting dance...
    Your insurance (Assuming that you have physical damage coverage), will pay the Actual cash value of the bike...
    But since it's still under warranty... will BRP just bite the bullet, and offer you a new bike?

Good luck!

Oh! I'm also glad that you escaped harm!
    You got the first part right about insurance but BRP will do nothing. This is an insurance claim unless you can PROVE BRP had fault in it. By his own admission he 'worked to solve the heat issues'. BRP will wash their hands of it since it had been modified. I really feel for him and am concerned in my own right. Not really fearful of getting hurt, it does not take long to stop and get off so not a huge risk of me going up with it.

BRP has long been denying there are any further safety concerns with the 2013. The heat is a characteristic of the bike, not a defect. So they say.

The OP NEEDS to report this to the NHTSA pronto! If enough of these are reported, BRP will eventually be forced to do something.....like buy them back.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well after reading this and seeing the pictures I hope all you "non-believers" will understand why mine is in storage. There is a solution coming my way but I can't post anything about it. Dat Guy I'm glad your ok and got off safely, that is the most important part of this whole mess.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

glad your ok, bikes can be replaced
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Sad to see!

Are you other guys carrying fire extinguishers now?
    2011 RT LTD. Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    You got the first part right about insurance but BRP will do nothing. This is an insurance claim unless you can PROVE BRP had fault in it. By his own admission he 'worked to solve the heat issues'. BRP will wash their hands of it since it had been modified.
    You can see in the last picture his pipes are wrapped. So it's an interesting question if BRP will consider that an issue for warranty coverage.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder4Tess View Post
    Sad to see!

Are you other guys carrying fire extinguishers now?
    I think carrying one is worthless. It's been discussed before and here is an example of it doing nothing. Later watch the gas tank go up!
    It's not worth your life to try and put the fire out in my opinion! Get away from it!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm thankful you escaped the fire. I hope you still have your eyebrows. I also hope you'll stick with Spyder and replace it with a new '14. Please let us know how it goes.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    Well after reading this and seeing the pictures I hope all you "non-believers" will understand why mine is in storage. There is a solution coming my way but I can't post anything about it. Dat Guy I'm glad your ok and got off safely, that is the most important part of this whole mess.
    And why is that? Is it another BRP "secret" deal like others have gotten? Hush Money?
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default AND THIS

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    I am truly glad you were not injured.

I believe BRP has resolved much of the heat issue under the Tupperware with the ECM update back in March . . . at least mine seems to not get so hot under the seat and around the glove box.

That said, many parts that are subject to deterioration, like plastic purge valves, hoses, et al, are very likely compromised and more subject to failure than had they not been exposed to the heat that was prevalent prior to the update. BRP should bite the bullet and replace those parts before someone is seriously injured or killed. While the cost will be high to do that, the cost of a single successful wrongful death lawsuit would far exceed the cost of a parts replacement recall.

..&...BRP..should take a hint from the General Motors fiasco.....Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdr View Post
    Are you serious? Spyder a very DANGEROUS machine?

Accident happen....

I am glad he is unhurt... and safe.
    These fires are not "accidents". They are the result of serious design flaws that BRP refuses to address. On the whole, Spyders are safer that 2 wheelers. But if one starts burning under your butt, you might change your mind as to weather or not they can ​be dangerous.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I don't worry so much about traveling down the road and catching fire. The machines don't really "blow up". They catch fire. Doesn't take long to brake and dump it. Hopefully you are not on the Golden Gate at rush hour! My concern has been parking in my ATTACHED garage. Come back from a ride, put her in the garage and a while later your HOUSE is gone! That is my concern, right now.

Spyder Garage

Default Just My 2 Cents!

First of all I would like to say I am glad you are ok Sir. And Hope all turns out well for you ! IMO you should get a full reimbursement and given a 2014 for your troubles! With that said...

I know it is the 2013 RT that seams to be burning Up. But the 2013 ST gets super hot also. Mine gets Very Very hot But I just figured I had to live with it!

I Didn't and Don't have the time to call, write or email BRP until they answer me so I purchased the 2014 panel kit. I Haven't gotten it yet.... Its on Back order!!! But I am Hopful the Kit helps because I don't want mine to be the first ST-S to burn up! I Love my Spyder, and I'm going to Keep on Ryding Because I am Addicted to this thing, and I love to Ryde!

Safe Rydyng to Ya All!

Kubie

2013 ST-S SE-5 ("Quick Silver") Is her Name
    My Mods:

I Have Added the AM/FM Stereo and an Ultimate Seat, with Ryder Backrest, Power Sports wraps." Break Strips" Kit, GloRyders with the Spyder Cap, Fox Racing Shock and Anti- Sway Bar Kit, Spyder Pops Bump Skid, Spyderlighter's LED Running Light Kit With Fender lights. Cal Si Shorty Smoked Windshield, The 2014 Side Panels, Lamonsters Cat Delete, And an Akrapovic Sport Touring Exhaust.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    My feelings on this subject are well known and documented. The fix was a band aid at best. Promises of future RT fixes from BRP reps earlier this year have not materialized . Maybe the ST is good for 2014 some people have gotten free '14 panels for their 13 but others had to pay? Anyone who jumped ship from a 998 to a 1330 has no dog in this fight. Any shade tree fixes done may help, but, the issues of 10lbs of fiery hot crap stuffed in a 5lb Tupperware bag remain. I asked for a special rebate for '13 owners to upgrade maybe a buy back is in order. BRP Steve do you see what GM is going through and they had millions of units with a few lemons you guys got a bunch of lemons in a small bag IMHO.

Well said Dave!!!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kubie View Post
    itirst of all I would like to say I am glad you are ok Sir. And Hope all turns out well for you ! IMO you should get a full reimbursement and given a 2014 for your troubles! With that said...

I know it is the 2013 RT that seams to be burning Up. But the 2013 ST gets super hot also. Mine gets Very Very hot But I just figured I had to live with it!

I Didn't and Don't have the time to call, write or email BRP until they answer me so I purchased the 2014 panel kit. I Haven't gotten it yet.... Its on Back order!!! But I am Hopful the Kit helps because I don't want mine to be the first ST-S to burn up! I Love my Spyder, and I'm going to Keep on Ryding Because I am Addicted to this thing, and I love to Ryde!

Safe Rydyng to Ya All!

Kubie
    You had to purchase It? That is bull. It is there problem not yours

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    You had to purchase It? That is bull. It is there problem not yours
    Like I said above some got them for free some did not. I was hoping to see a similar fix for the RT namely new upper panel with a decent scoop in it to promote ventilation. Even that may not be a solution though sitting in traffic all the parts that melt still get too hot. I knew this was going to happen this summer ...again.

spydee owner

Default fire

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Now at least four that I know of. Not trying to incite anyone, just stating what is known to be true. Take a look at the complaints about the 2013 RT's on the NHTSA site. You will find that almost all are complaints about people getting burned, excess heat, boiling gasoline, and more. Are these people trying to incite? I think not. They are simply reporting known issues in the hope that BRP may wake up & get serious about fixing what many of the complainants refer to as "dangerous machines". It is my hope that no one is injured or worse when the next one burns.
    So you personally know what caused this fire before anyone else? We on this forum do not know what mods have been made to this bike either by BRP or the owner. The owner of this machine stated that he spent thousands to correct the heat problem.
    Really, on a 2013 that is under warranty.

I have owned 4 spyders one was a 2013 RT .............. put 7500 miles on it without issue. Traded for a 2013 ST Ltd.
    In my opinion, people such as yourself do incite dislike and mistrust.
    Also, even though I have had no dealings with Carlo at BRP, many people on this forum seem to like him and find him helpful.
    If you dislike these -in your own words- dangerous machines, why don't you just sell it and buy a Toyota or GM or Ford or Honda or HD product? They have all had recalls for a variety of things.
    I don't care if some on this forum find this post a little salty or acidic, get out your flame throwers I can take it.
    Wait for the facts of the fire investigation, then start spouting off!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    I knew this was going to happen this summer ...again.
    I hate to say it but me too...

An interesting thing. Of the 4 that have burned or caught fire, 2 happened in California where humidity is low and temps can be 95 easy in the summer! Coincidence?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydee owner View Post
    So you personally know what caused this fire before anyone else? We on this forum do not know what mods have been made to this bike either by BRP or the owner. The owner of this machine stated that he spent thousands to correct the heat problem.
    Really, on a 2013 that is under warranty.

I have owned 4 spyders one was a 2013 RT .............. put 7500 miles on it without issue. Traded for a 2013 ST Ltd.
    In my opinion, people such as yourself do incite dislike and mistrust.
    Also, even though I have had no dealings with Carlo at BRP, many people on this forum seem to like him and find him helpful.
    If you dislike these -in your own words- dangerous machines, why don't you just sell it and buy a Toyota or GM or Ford or Honda or HD product? They have all had recalls for a variety of things.
    I don't care if some on this forum find this post a little salty or acidic, get out your flame throwers I can take it.
    Wait for the facts of the fire investigation, then start spouting off!
    And you live in Canada where hitting 70deg is a heat wave come on down to the lower south and you will be singing a different tune I am sure. As for selling them the depreciation on a 13 is almost 1/2 of what you paid because of the defects. Step into the real world do you want to give BRP $10k to get rid of what is their problem? There won't be any facts forth coming from BRP heck they even refused to pick up one that caught on fire already. There is nothing left to analyze.
    Last edited by Magdave; 07-27-2014 at 10:17 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default 2013's and fires

I am glad you are OK, sorry about your bike...

You know what always sticks out in my mind? I see lots of people joining our group here and on facebook, and they are always so proud of their new 2013 Spyder that they got and love it.
    We all know it was a fabulous bike, but I always wonder if anyone ever says "hey the 2013's have a history of catching fire"?
    Then I think, what if I didn't know this and bought one... Would someone tell me? How would I know before I bought it?

I think there has to be a notice when selling these 2013's to people!

Spyder Garage

Dat Guy, glad you are okay and help was close. Hope to see you ryding again.