Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation Strong gas smell as Spyder sits in garage even with recall gas cap

I got my 2012 Spyder RTS earlier this week and today about an hour after getting home, my wife says "Do you smell gas"? I immediately when to the downstairs garage and the very strong smell of gasoline hit me right away. The Spyder had been sitting for about an hour after my 10mi ride home.

When I bought the unit I checked the gas cap to make sure it matched the one shown in their recall PDF here http://www.spyder.brp.com/DownloadFi...0-a22900b772fa so I think I have the proper gas cap.

Anyone have any ideas?

Spyder Garage

I occasionally have the same issue with my 2012 RT with the new gas cap, even when the tank is almost empty. I am also careful not to over fill when I get gas. Seems like it has been happening less lately but has been an issue.

2012 Spyder RT Limited
    Guardian Bell (gift from son)
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    ISCI hand brake
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors

Spyder Garage

we still have the smell too when parked hot. Think just a function of the gas boiling in the tank....

Spyder Garage

When I get home from a long and especially hot ride I also have the smell. I just leave the garage door open for 10-15 minutes and it dissipates. Not really a problem for me.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Hey Buzz!

I have not yet had this issue with our new 2013 (we have very few miles on her thus far) but it is a pretty common complaint. All stemming from the heat that gets caught up inside the plastic 'tunnel' between your legs

There are lots of really good threads here on how different folks have tried to fix this problem as well as others who've never had any issues at all.

I had a really nice convo with Randy in Bellingham about how he fixed his and I'm ordering supplies for mine soon. A little time consuming but not difficult and I like tinkering so it'll be fun to me.

There are recent threads also about how we all should apply pressure on BRP in hopes that they will finally address the issues thru a recall. Also highly recommended!

Drop me a note if I can help more
    - Duffer
    Camano Island, Wa
    2013 RTS SE5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 RSS and it has always done that, before and after the new gas cap. I have come to accept the smell as part of the experience.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 with 18,000+ miles and that's my only complaint, but one that I can live with! I just leave it on the driveway for a little bit before putting it in the garage.

Spyder Garage

Never a problem here--but it is an ongoing situation for some. The advice given above is all good.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Our two 2011's do it. I have tried various basic things, but the best thing thus far us filling the tank with fresh cool gas from the closest station to the house. It cools the tank down and minimizes the gas evaporation.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

This seems to be getting worse with about 240mi on my Spyder so far. I rode to and from work last night and had a really strong gas fumes smell while sitting in traffic and once I parked it in the garage. It was so bad that my wife complained when she came home saying it was so strong in the garage, she could barely breathe. We also use our garage for other stuff besides parking (exercise, working on bikes, etc.) so it can't smell of gas for any extended period of time or I lose 1/3rd of my living space.

I don't have an option to park it outside and let it air out (condo parking regulations forbid it) so I really need a solution for this or else I can't see a situation where I can continue to ride the Spyder.

I'm *hoping* the issue is gas in the evap canister but I won't be able to check that until I take it to the shop for the 600mi break-in check. If that's the case, anyone have any idea how much I should expect to pay to have the canister replaced?

Also I've hard mention of people removing their canisters all together ... is that a recommended approach to this problem as well?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Buzz,
    I'd contact your dealer, and explain the circumstances to them. Let them know, that outside parking isn't an option, and you want this situation remedied...
    Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I had the same issue yesterday after riding the spyder for 15 minutes in 102 degree heat. The smell lasted quite a long time, probably around 1 hour in the garage. I was not sure if this was normal and makes me feel a little bit better that other people are experiencing the same issue. I have a 2014 Spyder RS SE5 that is brand new, I have about 120 miles on it. Hopefully this only happens during really hot rides, which I will try and avoid if possible from now on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There have literally been scores of threads about heat-attenuation.
    Read some of them; it'll certainly give you some ideas about what can be done.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Is this a NEW (2012) spyder? Even if it is used, something is wrong. CALL YOUR DEALER, CHECK FOR A GAS LEAK. This could save your life!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JXVolker View Post
    I have a 2012 RSS and it has always done that, before and after the new gas cap. I have come to accept the smell as part of the experience.
    Interesting...I also have a 2012 RSS but have never smelled gas. Neither at lights nor in the garage when parked. I definitely have the delicious aroma of high octane exhaust since I have the aftermarket two bros duals (love it!)....but have never had any gas smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzatronic View Post
    Also I've hard mention of people removing their canisters all together ... is that a recommended approach to this problem as well?

So I have also heard of people removing these vapor canisters. What are they for and how/why would it be ok to remove them?
    2012 Neutron Green RSS SE5 | Two Brothers Dual Carbon Fiber exhaust | BRP Xenon HID kit! | CalSci Tinted Shorty windshield| Throttlemeister CC | Baja Ron sway bar | TricLED halo ground effects kit | Sena SMH10's |

The wifey on Tessa the day we brought her home!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I also have had this problem with the gas fumes. Living in Arizona, the heat is really an issue. After having it in the shop and being told by BRP that "there isn't a problem" I finally was advised by another Spyder rider to thermal wrap the pipes and canister. Took some time and patience, but it has worked out good for me. Each wrap is 6 inches and when you overlap it takes up a lot of thermal wrap. I purchased 28 feet and used 27 1/2 feet. Wrap from rear head all the way to the base. Auto Zone has a starter wrap that works great on the gas canister.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i get the gas smell too after a days ride when i pull into the garage, doesn't bother me. i do lift my seat up when i am done to air it out & help to cool down. As long as i don't pass out & my doesn't blow up i will live with it &
    enjoy the ride the next day again.
    On a side note, just got my boots in from revzilla today & my trunk cargo nets come in tomorow so i plan on enjoying my weekend ride.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StealthSpyder View Post
    So I have also heard of people removing these vapor canisters. What are they for and how/why would it be ok to remove them?
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...anister-ectomy

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...canisterectomy
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Simple methodology for gas odors

Get yourself a 36 inch box fan somewhere. Go for a ride come home, park it in the garage. Now put your new fan in front of the nose, turn it on low, medium or high and let it run for a while with the garage open a minimum of 6 inches with the fan blowing through to two wind tunnels.

Works for me, I have done every thig BRP has suggested. My dealer has uncovered it a multitude number of times negative results and the cost of a new one it out of reach until I pay back my new Silverado 4X4 money I borrowed from myself.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the gas boil after long and hot ride, the gas smell is unaviodable.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Be careful not to completely fill the tank . . . leave a little space for expansion, because gas coming from an underground tank will expand in a hot motorcycle. That minimizes, somewhat, the chance that liquid gas will end up in the charcoal canister. The tank isn't air tight, and the canister is designed to trap gasoline vapors that vent out of it, and hold them until they get sucked back into the engine when it is running. Overfilling the gas tank can result in raw fuel filling the canister.

Another thing I have found helpful is to fill my gas tank at the nearest gas station to home at the end of a ride. I'm lucky, as I have one only half a mile away. Gas can boil between 100 and 400 degrees, and adding cold gas cools the gas in the tank and helps minimize evaporation through the charcoal canister. When I do the top off, I don't get the gas smell in the garage . . . when I skip it, I do.

If you don't have a gas station close, keep a couple gallons of gas in a gas can at home, and use that to add to the tank to cool it before parking it in the garage.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Since you are a new owner it is possible you are not revving high enough for the stored vapours in the canister to clear out. Then when you are parked the cannister is not able to hold more, giving you the strong gas smell. You need to operate your Spyder while driving in 2nd to 5th gear higher than 4,000 rpm. This is unless you are slowing for a stop of course. This will ensure that the purge valve is open and the air flow is high, clearing fumes from the charcoal canister.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzatronic View Post
    I got my 2012 Spyder RTS earlier this week and today about an hour after getting home, my wife says "Do you smell gas"? I immediately when to the downstairs garage and the very strong smell of gasoline hit me right away. The Spyder had been sitting for about an hour after my 10mi ride home.

When I bought the unit I checked the gas cap to make sure it matched the one shown in their recall PDF here http://www.spyder.brp.com/DownloadFi...0-a22900b772fa so I think I have the proper gas cap.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Have two fire extinguisher at to different locations in your garage. When you smell gas push the Spyder out of the garage. Keep the gas tank above 1/2 full when putting it the garage and let it cool down for about 1/2 hour outside and you don't have any gas smell. Some Spyders had started on fire inside the garage. Don't over fill the gas tank, leave gas one inch below the inlet of the tank. This will help and keep your garage safe. That's IMHO.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Cure for gas smell

2011 RTs. Always had boiling gas and the gas smell after a ryde. Last winter I installed JT's air cleaner system and that solved the problem. I believe the residual heat trapped under the TW caused the problem. The air cleaner replacement was not difficult just time consuming. Now the heat escapes from the two vents under the mirrors when stopped and more airflow around the engine reduces the build up of heat during ryding. Simple and inexpensive cure for my spyder.

Spyder Garage

Can we PLEASE stop perpetuation the MYTH about overfilling the fuel tank?

You CANNOT overfill it. The inlet is WELL below the top of the tank and you cannot pour gas uphill. Filling to the top of the inlet leaves PLENTY of vapor space for liquid expansion.

Overfilling the tank does not happen and is NOT the cause for the gas fumes. Too many dealers using this tired story to avoid dealing with the issue. They would rather blame the customer than tell them the truth that its a known 'operational characteristic' and BRP has no intention to fix it.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame