Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Free Thinking Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Just got the "Your computer has a virus" phone call last night.

These guys are ruthless and relentless. Please do not fall for this crap.

They will start out by telling you they work for "Microsoft" or companies like "IT Solutions". You have just downloaded a virus on your Windows computer. We need access to your computer so we can see what's going on.

They will direct you to a wedsite to download a program that will allow them to view the contents of your computer. BIG red flag, this is where I hung up.

The guy was persistent and sounded convincing. When I said I owned a mac, which I don't, he said "you are lying to me, why are you lying to me". He also said he had my computer ID number. If he did or not, I don't know.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Had this call awhile back. I just hang up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I give them the old-fashioned, tried and true" "
    That usually discourages them...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Try this..!!

let me have your home phone so I can call you back..!! Or if you have my IP and know what I downloaded then you can fix it for me..click..!! But they work hard at it. Makes you wonder how much good they could get done if they worked in the legal world...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default hackers are scum

Also watch out for bogus emails.
    ScreenHunter_10 Jul. 25 09.15.jpg

This one started going around Texas and we don't even have anything called EZpass.

Click on that link in that email and your PC is instantly infected and your personal data at risk.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default computers

I like to talk to them....ask questions like, what is wrong, where are you, how do you fix it, and assorted other stuff. It helps that I worked over 44 years in the computer industry. They usually end up hanging up on me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tell them...
    "Hang on a moment; I'm about to fix it right now..."

Spyder Garage

I was getting those type of calls fairly regular last winter. Got none lately.
    I did get an email from a fellow recently who said he was a friend of the late Saddam Hussein. He knew of at least a million dollars that was hidden and needed me to arrange to get it. You know I need the possibility of making a couple million before it's worth getting out of bed in the morning. So I did not reply.

2018 F3 LIMITED

The Woodlands, Texas and Pipe Creek, Texas
    Spyder Garage

Default I don't hang up

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Had this call awhile back. I just hang up.
    I got one last night. Sounded like the guy had an Indian accent.

Are you near your windows computer? No, it is downstairs. Is it a windows computer? Yes, it is. Could you go turn it on? No, it is downstairs. Are there other computers in your house? Yes, my wife's. Are you near it? Yes. Is it on the same system as yours? Yes, we use Comcast. Tell me what you see on the screen of your wife's computer. It is black. The screen is black? Yes. Is her computer off? I guess so. Would you turn it on for me? I do not have her password. Would you go downstairs and turn on your computer? No, I have 2 broken legs and cannot walk. Does anyone else use your computer? Yes, my wife uses it sometimes. Could your wife turn on your computer to help us? She is not here. Where is your wife? She is at work. Oh, Lord!!!....When will she be home? I don't know. When would be a good time to call back to speak to her?

And this is when I explained to him that I have just wasted as much of his time that he was planning on wasting of mine and for him to never call my number again.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They must target different regions in a cycle. I have gotten those calls several days in a row, then nothing for several months. They're always on my dad's land-line, and he doesn't own ANY computer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I get them, regularly. Sometimes I play with them: "Thank God you called! I've been having trouble all day trying to make the bank deposits to pay my employees . . . I have almost three hundred thousand dollars that needs to be transferred and the system is acting up. That must be what you called about?" Other times I tell them what I think of thieves. Once, I had one of them screaming at me and cursing me. I had told him that I know that Micrtosoft has no service department monitoring my PCs and that while he is busy trying to steal my money, I hope some just like him is on the phone with his mother, stealing all her money! He went nuts! I laughed!
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Wow! Never had a call about stuff like this, but have had the usual e-mail warnings and notices.

I have always tried to jack around the ones offering me a million plus dollars. They have never showed up for the meeting I requested in Nome Alaska that I know of.

If I were to get a phone call, I usually let them go through their speech, don't reply to them, and when they realize that I am giving them "dead air," they usually hang up. My usual procedure for sales solicitations and political surveys.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That e mail about EZ Pass was a subject on our local news a few weeks back.

Most times we just hang up. That is if we even answer. I got a call this morning. A male voice says "Hi how are you today" "That's good".This is - - with - - security services. We'll be in your area today and we are giving away 20 free GE home security systems". Then you realize it's a recorded sales pitch.

Sometimes I'll answer "FBI Field Agent - what can I do for you?" or Sheriffs Department, Deputy -

Spyder Garage

Default which phone?

cell or home? we ditched the landline. get nothing on the cell.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's another response I thought of, "NSA we know who you are, how can we help you".

Spyder Garage

I don't answer my phone when I don't recognize the number or name and it goes to voice mail. If it's a legitimate call I will return the call, most telemarketers don't leave messages.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Free Thinking Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    cell or home? we ditched the landline. get nothing on the cell.
    It was the home phone coz. I will be getting rid of it within the next couple of months.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I get them every so often and I do have Mac's ,so I just tell them to F**k off and hang up,they don't call much anymore but I do get Emails I know are BS and only show up on my phone,not email on my other computers(all share same mail accounts) don't understand that but ignore them.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I try to engage them in social banter. Usually I can get that going with talk about the weather, then college. Once I get just a few minutes of that, I ask if if he is the guy I met the other day, when I was out with his sister. If he says "yes" then we are off to the races to see how far I can push it until he starts cussing at me. If he says"no" then I ask the name of his sister. Once he responds, we are off to the races again. Only once did I have to resort to his mother's name. That guy got so mad he started screaming. I laughed and laughed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't let them get inside my head... Are You Sure.jpg

Spyder Garage

I once had a guy call to try to sell me siding. I told him that I was very interested in getting new siding, but I needed new windows also. He said we can do windows. I said great, but I also need new doors. He said we also do doors. I said well that's perfect. I am having him tell me about each product as we go. I then tell him that I will take it all, but that I have to have it all installed by the end of the month.
    At this point we have been on the phone for about 20 minutes and he is very excited, but wants to know why it has to all be done that soon.
    i said well because that in when my bankrupt papers go through. For some reason he hung up on me And here I thought we were getting along so well
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am sure you know about the 419 Nigeria scammers right?

Well some people are fighting back. Some of the stories in here of scam beating is funny!

http://www.419eater.com/

http://www.419baiter.com/

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Those guys do get around.... that is only one of the reasons I do not own a PC
    all our stuff is MAC and has been for about 10 years, I never get a virus or have
    any computer troubles, I have all the programs a PC has and more.. in the long run
    it costs less because I don't have to haul it to the repair shop or call in an IT guy.
    Only my opinion
    Dave