Thread: HID headlamps

Spyder Garage

Default HID headlamps

Hey everyone,

Got a little issue with my new aftermarket HID kit I just put into my 2011 RS-S. Got a Bi-Xenon H7 Kit and got it all installed. The way my kit said to install it was with a provided relay to power the ballasts. I wired the relay directly to the battery as it said and it uses one of the OEM head lamp connectors to activate the relay which means the other OEM headlight connector is not attached to anything. VERY intermittantly, I am getting a VSS Fault on my cluster and the bike will start and stall. If I cycle the key a couple times, it will start. It doesnt happen often enough to really pin it down. I emailed the supplier of the HID kit to see if I actually need the relay for the Bi-Xenons. My gut tells me that I should be able to use the OEM headlamp connectors to input the ballasts without any issue, but I dont know if its special because of the dual beam. My other thought was that my ballasts may be inducing voltage into the VSS module. I have the ballasts located on each side of the air box. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance

J

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

HID's are tricking things on the Spyders, it does funny things to the on-board computer system. I purchased H7 Xtreme Digital HID 50000 conversion kit from KBcarstuff. It was a bear to install, mainly because the new base on the HID's were a tight fit going into the existing headlight housing.
    We were able to unplug the existing bulb wiring and plug the Xtreme bulbs in. No cutting and no running anything to the battery.

However, the HID's draw a lot of power when they fire up and can cause the computer system to flake out momentarily. I normally have to hit the "mode" button twice to clear the computer. I have to make sure I park it in neutral otherwise it sometimes will not go into neutral for the start.

And sometimes it will throw weird errors on the dash like "check transmission" I normally shut the spyder down and restart after 30 seconds and I am good to go.

We mounted everything under the dash, and made sure it was strapped to metal, not plastic

Its a pain, but as long as the HID mode does not leave me stranded, then I think its well worth it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Outkazt RS-S View Post
    Hey everyone,

Got a little issue with my new aftermarket HID kit I just put into my 2011 RS-S. Got a Bi-Xenon H7 Kit and got it all installed. The way my kit said to install it was with a provided relay to power the ballasts. I wired the relay directly to the battery as it said and it uses one of the OEM head lamp connectors to activate the relay which means the other OEM headlight connector is not attached to anything. VERY intermittantly, I am getting a VSS Fault on my cluster and the bike will start and stall. If I cycle the key a couple times, it will start. It doesnt happen often enough to really pin it down. I emailed the supplier of the HID kit to see if I actually need the relay for the Bi-Xenons. My gut tells me that I should be able to use the OEM headlamp connectors to input the ballasts without any issue, but I dont know if its special because of the dual beam. My other thought was that my ballasts may be inducing voltage into the VSS module. I have the ballasts located on each side of the air box. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance

J
    I used the left lamp connector on the left HID relay and the right on the right. I use separate relays for the left and right. Seems to have mine well balanced with no issues at all.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

So, I just got an email from the support department of the company that I ordered the kit from. They said that my system will work fine without the relay. So they said hook each ballast to each OEM headlamp connector. My kit also came with two jumper harnesses with capacitors in them and it said it was used for high end luxury cars to prevent error messages on the dash from the HID's flickering. Apperently, the Spyder is a "high end luxury car" cause they said I should be using them too. I will give it a try tonight and see what happens

J

Spyder Garage

So, the company I ordered them from said that the "control wire" or relay wasn't needed in all applications. So I wired them up to my headlights and installed the capacitors that came with them and everything is working perfectly!

J