Spyder Garage

Default Michelin (hydroedge) Defender rear tire pressure

Does anyone know what tire pressure I should run in a Michelin Defender( replaced the hydroedge-same tire different name) I have used 2 kenda's this year because of center tire wear. I have run them at 24-26 lbs. with no discernible difference. So I purchased a Michelin, hoping for better mileage. The tire says 40lbs. but that just doesn't seem right on a bike. I was thinking 30-32 lbs but will take any advice given. Thanks in advance. Jim
    2013 RT-S se5, C/D HMT third tail light( r/b/t), Ram Cup holder, TRICLED front fender LED's (r/t), C/D Bright sides (r/t), Bajaron sway bar and metal heim links, TRICLED mirror turn signal LED's, ISCI tall dual flag holder, BackOff LED license plate frame, "Rufus" (stuffed 20" Bulldog) real one wants nothing to do with bike. Honel tri bag for dash, recordingguy25's (SL handle) custom mud flap ( didn't want plain old square cut mud flap. Spyderpops critter gitter. Gremlin Bell

Spyder Garage

use 26 to 28 lbs, works best for me

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I just bought a Hydroedge and I'm going to try 28 psi. They mount it Friday.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    Does anyone know what tire pressure I should run in a Michelin Defender( replaced the hydroedge-same tire different name) I have used 2 kenda's this year because of center tire wear. I have run them at 24-26 lbs. with no discernible difference. So I purchased a Michelin, hoping for better mileage. The tire says 40lbs. but that just doesn't seem right on a bike. I was thinking 30-32 lbs but will take any advice given. Thanks in advance. Jim
    the tire only states its' maximum air capacity it never knows what it is installed on

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    the tire only states its' maximum air capacity it never knows what it is installed on
    That's what I'm thinking too. So, I'll start with the factory recommended 28 psi and keep an eye on them. They gotta be better than the Kenda's The Defender may be the same, but looking on-line they have a different tread pattern than the Hydroedge

Spyder Garage

28 psi works for me

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Rear tire on spyder is Kenda Use 30psi would think that it would be around same pressure for spyder

Spyder Garage

Default Pressures..!!

always start with the vehicle pressure recommondations. You have to find the best ryde for your weight and style from there. Someone mentioned placing a chaulk line on the tire and rolling around to see if it erases even. This could help but tires baloon at speeds wearing the middles faster. For wear I would run on the lower side...jmo
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by georam View Post
    BRP
    COLD TIRE PRESSURERECOMMENDATION:

Front
    Nominal 15 PSI
    Minimum 13 PSI
    Maximum 17 PSI

Running your Kenda front tires at 24-26 lbs. is why they are wearing in the center. I have Bridgestone Potensa RE92 165/65R14s. I run 22 PSI and I am very happy with the tires.

Those tire pressures are for the FRONT not the rear that we're talking about. And what year book are you quoting, the year makes a difference in what BRP has reccomended for tire pressures.

Spyder Garage

I've been running 28 in my rear Michelin HydroEdge for a couple of year. Wear pattern is even.

The pressure stamped on the side of any tear is the Maximum pressure for that tire. Tire manufacturers (not talking about tire retail stores) generally will tell you to go with the vehicle manufacturer recommended pressure.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    I've been running 28 in my rear Michelin HydroEdge for a couple of year. Wear pattern is even.
    Mileage? A couple of years infers that it's lasted well for you.

Spyder Garage

Got around 21k miles on my Hydroedge probably another 5k left
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all of you that responded to question. I'm going with 28 Rear, I just cant do 3 kendas a year. I run my front at 17.5 to 18 and rear has always been 25. Thanks again, we'll see how these do.
    2013 RT-S se5, C/D HMT third tail light( r/b/t), Ram Cup holder, TRICLED front fender LED's (r/t), C/D Bright sides (r/t), Bajaron sway bar and metal heim links, TRICLED mirror turn signal LED's, ISCI tall dual flag holder, BackOff LED license plate frame, "Rufus" (stuffed 20" Bulldog) real one wants nothing to do with bike. Honel tri bag for dash, recordingguy25's (SL handle) custom mud flap ( didn't want plain old square cut mud flap. Spyderpops critter gitter. Gremlin Bell

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Good luck and we'll keep each other informed on how we do 21,000 - 26,000 miles is looking pretty good to me after going thru a Kenda in 6500 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sddinnh View Post
    Mileage? A couple of years infers that it's lasted well for you.
    As I am at work right now, I cannot take a look at the odometer to tell you. I did do a post on this tire sometime back & you might find something useful there:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ction-Evidence
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    As I am at work right now, I cannot take a look at the odometer to tell you. I did do a post on this tire sometime back & you might find something useful there:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ction-Evidence
    Thanks Mark, interesting read. I guess I lucked out because when I walked into my Michelin dealer and asked for a good rain tire in 215/60/15 he looked and he had two remaining Hydroedges in that size in his warehouse. I probably should go back and get the other one if this one works out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    What size did you buy I do not see it sold in a 225/50/r15 size
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...Waiting to see how the mileage reports look...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AbNormy View Post
    Got around 21k miles on my Hydroedge probably another 5k left
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    ...Waiting to see how the mileage reports look...
    Doesn't this answer your question I think they are going to work just fine Plus I didn't have the luxury of sitting around and waiting. I'm headed out on a long trip up into Canada if a few weeks and my Kenda on the rear is shot enough so I wouldn't trust it on a long trip
    Last edited by sddinnh; 07-23-2014 at 02:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

I am running a hydroedge at 28psi and is wearing even. Should get great milage by the looks of it as in 3500 miles only down 1\32. Tire started @! 10/32. We run two up always.
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CAR TIRES VS. THE KENDA

........Please pay attention people .....Almost all car tires are " FOUR " ply.....unlike Kenda which are TWO ply.......this makes a big big difference.........The car tire is constructed for a vehicle that weighs in the vicinity of 3200 to 4000 lbs.......Our Spyders range from 775 to 1075 lbs........therefore you do not need 28 lbs of pressure to keep the rim off the ground .....in fact you could almost ( don't try it ) run them with out air in an emergency.......If you do run them at higher pressure all you will be accomplishing is getting a " HARSHER " ride because the tire won't be as compliant .....................I hope this helps people to understand the difference ....at least till next week .....................Mikeguyver