Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default OPEN LETTER TO BRP REPRESENTATIVE

I purchased a brand new 2012 Spyder RTS SM5 from a local dealer in Madison WI on 3-22-14. Since then I had to be towed in twice for a faulty ignition switch relay. The second time they replaced it). Now after a two hour ride on Saturday 7-19-14 , I found a puddle of oil underneath my spyder. I checked the oil and it was down to the add mark on the dipstick. The oil was full when I left. I started looking aroud the machine and could see oil in and around the engine and pan. So again no riding on Sunday or Monday(dealer closed). Today I took it in and the dealer just called me --New clutch cover, gasket etc. He said he seen this with a couple other machines. So BRP tell me how would you feel if you just shelled out 20,000 + (USD) on a bike and its failed 3 times in a matter of 4 months ??????????????? So far its been on short rides. How would I have the confidence to take this bike on longer rides for which it is suppossedly designed for? I "baby" my machines and never had this much trouble with any of my previous bikes which were not spyders. Is the quality on these bikes that bad? Do I have a lemon?? So here i'm left holding the bag on what to do with this bike.

Thanks Curt

Spyder Garage

It's best to contact BRP directly. They're not going to discuss your issues in public. Others will be able to give you an e-mail or phone number to start the procedure.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

1 888 272 9222
    Customer Service Callcenter
    spydertechsupport@brp.com .

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Keep very detailed records.

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
    I purchased a brand new 2012 Spyder RTS SM5 from a local dealer in Madison WI on 3-22-14. Since then I had to be towed in twice for a faulty ignition switch relay. The second time they replaced it). Now after a two hour ride on Saturday 7-19-14 , I found a puddle of oil underneath my spyder. I checked the oil and it was down to the add mark on the dipstick. The oil was full when I left. I started looking aroud the machine and could see oil in and around the engine and pan. So again no riding on Sunday or Monday(dealer closed). Today I took it in and the dealer just called me --New clutch cover, gasket etc. He said he seen this with a couple other machines. So BRP tell me how would you feel if you just shelled out 20,000 + (USD) on a bike and its failed 3 times in a matter of 4 months ??????????????? So far its been on short rides. How would I have the confidence to take this bike on longer rides for which it is suppossedly designed for? I "baby" my machines and never had this much trouble with any of my previous bikes which were not spyders. Is the quality on these bikes that bad? Do I have a lemon?? So here i'm left holding the bag on what to do with this bike.

Thanks Curt
    From my experience (very limited) in dealing with BRP customer service directly; they seem to have a "gap" that eats messages. I would recommend you do everything by email. Saving and printing same. Get printouts from your dealer. Start building a timeline file. Should it have to be this way?..I say NO .but since life ain't always fair and this is reality, be prepared to do it "there way" to get results. Good luck...and don't GIVE UP...just saying that it appears that BRP customer service machinery moves slowly, but does move.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

The above posters have given you very good advice.

Get the contacts up and rolling. Try not to discuss to much in public until you give BRP a chance to get working on the problem. As Murphybrown said, they do take care of business, but sometimes very slow.

The 2012 RT is considered by many on here to be the best (pre-2014) that BRP has put out. It has had few issues and most report trouble free use. Can't say for sure, but sometimes dealer prep or lack thereof can kick in and cause problems. Your dealer seems to be working with you, so that is a plus side.

I purchased a 2011 RT new in 2012 and we are very happy with it. Just turned 14,000 miles and it has only had a factory service bulletin on throttle body, oil changes, filters, and a new set of front tires.

Please keep us posted. There are a lot of good people on the site with helpful information.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Similar Experienc

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    From my experience (very limited) in dealing with BRP customer service directly; they seem to have a "gap" that eats messages. I would recommend you do everything by email. Saving and printing same. Get printouts from your dealer. Start building a timeline file. Should it have to be this way?..I say NO .but since life ain't always fair and this is reality, be prepared to do it "there way" to get results. Good luck...and don't GIVE UP...just saying that it appears that BRP customer service machinery moves slowly, but does move.
    Good luck as well. I was under the impression that a Customer Satisfaction Rep was added to the Spyderlovers forum to assist with some of our concerns but I have not had any success with contact using this site. I have sent three personal messages regarding my ongoing heat issues with a 2012 RS-SE5 and as of today I have not received any answer back. Listening to the ongoing customer problems with getting assistance I don't think I would have the patience or the perseverance necessary to try and resolve my issues with BRP. I have had much better advice and assistance from Owners who have the same year, make , model, as mine and have found ways to address the problem on their own. As Karyl said....Good Luck and stick with it if you have the time and patience.

Spyder Garage

Default Customer Service

Luckily I have had good luck, but I feel if there is any form of a lemon law in your state people need to use it. If it were a car most people would and should it just makes it better for everyone.

Spyder Garage

The e-mail address as posted by Steve from BRP Care:

brp.care@brp.com

I had good results when I discussed an issue with Steve.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The e-mail address as posted by Steve from BRP Care:

brp.care@brp.com

I had good results when I discussed an issue with Steve.

I assumed that the Customer Rep was a member of Spyderlovers and received personal messages. I will copy and paste my previous messages here and send off to that address. Thanks for the info.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default reason for post

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderwoman View Post
    I assumed that the Customer Rep was a member of Spyderlovers and received personal messages. I will copy and paste my previous messages here and send off to that address. Thanks for the info.

My wife and I called BRP customer service when we broke down twice with the ignition switch relay issue and they didnt do anything except take down information. Then I seen on one of these forums that a member wrote an open letter to BRP and he responded. So I thought maybe he would respond to my issue.