Spyder Garage

Default Fixed my Cb back feed due to new amplfier

I installed a new 600 watt amp and discovered it was causing feed back when I keyed the mike. If I removed the main fuse to the amp it disappeared so I knew the amp was the culprit. I kept thinking if I could just turn the amp off when I keyed the mike it would be the answer but not wanting to hack into the system I thought it was a dead end. I opened up the multi switch and took a look and could see that the cb button was actually a separate piece that remained on one half, the momentary contact switch stayed with the other. This gave me an idea, what I could make a my own contact to work in harmony with the factory set up.

First I made a small brass strip I had thinner by hammer it on my vice's anvil until double the width and half the thickness (a bit thicker than a sheet of paper. I made a small L out a piece of it and bolted to the switch housing, then I glued a second piece on top of the actual cb button inside. Each has it's own wire soldered to it. I ran these wire to a heavy duty 50 amp relay to break the circuit when the button is pressed by going to ground on one end and the signal ground at the relay on the other. When I depress the switch, in makes electrical contact telling the relay to close. I used the normal closed side of the relay which then breaks the circuit when I hit the switch.

I am the smartest man alive.... lol It works like a charm. No more squeal when keying the mike. I tried using the remote signal wire but for some reason the amp still caused squeal, hence I used the 50 amp relay to break the positive feed to the amp. I love it when a plan comes together.

I did discover that I had blown one of my new speakers by allowing full bass pass through of the amplified signal so I have a new speaker coming and set the system to cut out below 80. I have a new amplied woofer that can fit in either trunk and still leave ample room (it is only 2.2 inches thick) so I will be able to get bass above 100 as well. Doing this takes the load off the Polke 135 watt speakers I installed.

My next project will be to install a remote cut off switch for the IPod so I can hear the phone when someone calls!!!!! Any one know where I can pick up the power wire to the IPod? or all of the pinning for that matter? Thanks for any help,

Randy

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    I installed a new 600 watt amp and discovered it was causing feed back when I keyed the mike. If I removed the main fuse to the amp it disappeared so I knew the amp was the culprit. I kept thinking if I could just turn the amp off when I keyed the mike it would be the answer but not wanting to hack into the system I thought it was a dead end. I opened up the multi switch and took a look and could see that the cb button was actually a separate piece that remained on one half, the momentary contact switch stayed with the other. This gave me an idea, what I could make a my own contact to work in harmony with the factory set up.

First I made a small brass strip I had thinner by hammer it on my vice's anvil until double the width and half the thickness (a bit thicker than a sheet of paper. I made a small L out a piece of it and bolted to the switch housing, then I glued a second piece on top of the actual cb button inside. Each has it's own wire soldered to it. I ran these wire to a heavy duty 50 amp relay to break the circuit when the button is pressed by going to ground on one end and the signal ground at the relay on the other. When I depress the switch, in makes electrical contact telling the relay to close. I used the normal closed side of the relay which then breaks the circuit when I hit the switch.

I am the smartest man alive.... lol It works like a charm. No more squeal when keying the mike. I tried using the remote signal wire but for some reason the amp still caused squeal, hence I used the 50 amp relay to break the positive feed to the amp. I love it when a plan comes together.

I did discover that I had blown one of my new speakers by allowing full bass pass through of the amplified signal so I have a new speaker coming and set the system to cut out below 80. I have a new amplied woofer that can fit in either trunk and still leave ample room (it is only 2.2 inches thick) so I will be able to get bass above 100 as well. Doing this takes the load off the Polke 135 watt speakers I installed.

My next project will be to install a remote cut off switch for the IPod so I can hear the phone when someone calls!!!!! Any one know where I can pick up the power wire to the IPod? or all of the pinning for that matter? Thanks for any help,

Randy
    You're talking about a stereo amp causing interference right..not one of those illegal linear CB amps, riiight?

Spyder Garage

Yes, stereo amp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitetail View Post
    You're talking about a stereo amp causing interference right..not one of those illegal linear CB amps, riiight?

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all your info I will be installing my amp soon

Spyder Garage

I just got my woofer/amp and looking for a good spot to mount that would make problems for getting to things down the line.