Thread: transmission

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default transmission

Hello everybody. I have a 2012 RSS SE5. At times when I up shift It won't shift to next gear then a message will appear on the dash saying "check transmission"then if I hit shift again it will shift then. I hope it's a problem that can be remedied by adjustments.

Spyder Garage

Lets get the obvious question out of the way first. Have you checked your oil level?

Spyder Garage

1. Oil level. If it is above the add line OK.
    2. When was the last time you changed the oil. Is the oil old? Is the filter plugged?
    3. Is the shift lever loose. Item 46 in the following picture. Located behind the tupperware, just in front of the left foot peg.

se5 hcm.jpg

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

try changing your shifting times..the hold and release or tapping...otherwise it could be a gear position sensor problem...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I checked the oil level, was just a bit low added a bit. The last time I changed the oil was last summer it was thebreak-in oil change. But even since then as of right now I only have 2300 miles on it. According to maintenance schedule I don't need a fluid change till 4600 miles. So is my oil considered old then if it's roughly a year old?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Oil changes are usually done once a year at a minimum even if you haven't covered the mileage. The should be a recommendation in your manual.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

OK. I'll give it a full fluid and filter change. I'll keep an eye on my shift times too.

Spyder Garage

Since your manual has the old schedule in it. If you did not get a new maintenance schedule from your dealer. Here is a copy of the 2013 schedule. Notice the one year time limit.

maint anual.jpg

Did you check to see if the shift lever is loose. If it slides in and out on the spline shaft it is loose.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I'm extremely skeptical the oil change is going to do anything. My rs was shifting weird similar to what your bike is doing and it was the paddle shifter switch had gone bad. Go ride it again and check the codes to see what the error message is
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    I'm extremely skeptical the oil change is going to do anything. My rs was shifting weird similar to what your bike is doing and it was the paddle shifter switch had gone bad. Go ride it again and check the codes to see what the error message is
    The OP is getting a transmission error so that means the shift computer received a signal to shift from the paddle but is unable to to complete the shift causing the error. That points more likely to a hydraulic or mechanical cause.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The OP is getting a transmission error so that means the shift computer received a signal to shift from the paddle but is unable to to complete the shift causing the error. That points more likely to a hydraulic or mechanical cause.
    The signal being sent by the shift paddle could be flickering and causing confusion with the computer. My shifter paddle was bad and it threw codes and said "check transmission"

See my original thread here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...k-transmission