Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default WARNING -SPYDER RS SE5 2012 WARNING

My Can Am Spyder while in 4th gear, on a 2 lane highway in Arizona, the transmission went out. Was going approximately 45 miles per hour in a heavy wind when I lost the transmission completely. Could not shift up or down, all I could do was to limp to the side of the road. Mine is one of 3 bikes to have this same problem, that I know of. Bike in shop for 3 weeks now, technical support will not help, they know what the code is, but don't know what it means or how to fix it, according to service manager. This is the 3rd transmission failure I have had with less than 8,000 miles on the bike. If this would have happened on an 8 lane freeway and being in the 2nd or 3rd lane, with heavy traffic, there would be no place to go and possibly cause a terrible accident. Anyone with any information please reply. Thanks, Bob
    After reading some comments felt the need to say: A, not a computer person. B, used to live in San Diego. C, I know how to ride this bike and D, this is for real.
    Last edited by Questions; 07-17-2014 at 01:22 PM. Reason: added info

Spyder Garage

Thank you for your interesting first post. Please keep us informed as to how this all works out for you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

get in touch with steve at brp care! good guy to have behind you when you have a problem like this!!! good luck!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

DON'T count on the dealer; contact Steve!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Can-Am Bob View Post
    My Can Am Spyder while in 4th gear, on a 2 lane highway in Arizona, the transmission went out. Was going approximately 45 miles per hour in a heavy wind when I lost the transmission completely. Could not shift up or down, all I could do was to limp to the side of the road. Mine is one of 3 bikes to have this same problem, that I know of. Bike in shop for 3 weeks now, technical support will not help, they know what the code is, but don't know what it means or how to fix it, according to service manager. This is the 3rd transmission failure I have had with less than 8,000 miles on the bike. If this would have happened on an 8 lane freeway and being in the 2nd or 3rd lane, with heavy traffic, there would be no place to go and possibly cause a terrible accident. Anyone with any information please contact me at 1-619-871-3009. Thanks, Bob
    4th gear at 45 mph?

Don't know what Spyder you have.

You have not provided enough information for anyone to respond to, and I do not think anyone will make a phone call. You have made one post and leave a phone number. If I call will I win a prize or get a free vacation to Florida if look at a time-share?

Seriously... a bit more info or your post is going to be ignored.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default what's the VIN #

Spyder Garage

Not good!!!

I can understand your frustration, I don't think I would of posted my phone number, but like was stated above if your dealer is telling what seem to be BS need to contact BRP directly and make them aware of what's going on. Get yourself a case number and see if they can help.

BTW welcome to the forum.

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Bajaron sway bar and links

Spyder Garage

​What was the code that the dealer pulled up?
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    4th gear at 45 mph?

Don't know what Spyder you have.

You have not provided enough information for anyone to respond to, and I do not think anyone will make a phone call. You have made one post and leave a phone number. If I call will I win a prize or get a free vacation to Florida if look at a time-share?

Seriously... a bit more info or your post is going to be ignored.
    4th gear @45mph on a 998 engine is probably why you blew it up the centrifical clutch was barely (if at all) engaged. Shift points on a 998 engine 1st up to 25mph 2nd up to 38mph 3rd up to 48mph then 4th. Lugging a 998 is not a good thing you should be riding at a minimum of ~5krpm in whatever gear on the highway. A strong headwind would be dropping you down and putting a strain on the engine. If you were riding at or below 4k rpm that is bad. JMHO
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Pardon my "trust, but verify" skepticism but...

-- Member since Feb 2012
    -- First post over two years later
    -- Suffered rather unique transmission problem
    -- Personally knows three more people (!) suffering rather unique problem
    -- Suffered similar (identical?) transmission failures three times...

... and now he finally posts?

Heck, most of us here chip a nail unscrewing a Torx bolt and five minutes later we're furiously typing away here at SL to accuse BRP of implementing a sub-standard bolt-and-fastener quality control regime.

Anyway, if this is legit-- -- folks here definitely can help, but share more info, please!
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

This is the third first time post in a couple weeks now. Posters gave little to no information, had a large problem or wanted people to "write a book" to answer their post.

I note that none of them have returned with additional posts. I can see the skepticism some of us have shown here, so if the post is genuine, more information would be helpful.

I would venture to say that the other two posts seem to have been accompanied by the Rawhide theme...

Trollin, trollin, trollin.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    4th gear @45mph on a 998 engine is probably why you blew it up the centrifical clutch was barely (if at all) engaged. Shift points on a 998 engine 1st up to 25mph 2nd up to 38mph 3rd up to 48mph then 4th. Lugging a 998 is not a good thing you should be riding at a minimum of ~5krpm in whatever gear on the highway. A strong headwind would be dropping you down and putting a strain on the engine. If you were riding at or below 4k rpm that is bad. JMHO
    I agree, which is why I asked the question. I assume you knew that though.

I don't think the post was legit. Just my guess...

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Default Glad you joined us..!!

sorry for your misfortune. If you were able to coast or move at all your transmission may not be the problem. Sound like your clutch went out so shifting is no longer an option. If you were ryding as you stated and have been ryding that way all the time you clutch did well to last this long. If you are not over 3,500 rpms the clutch is not fully engaged. Your dealer should be able to figure this out. Burnt clutch plates have a distinctive smell and it will be in the oil. Be sure that those others you mentioned have the same problem for not shifting come from more than one area...good luck but if the dealer is not getting it done call brp...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    I agree, which is why I asked the question. I assume you knew that though.

I don't think the post was legit. Just my guess...
    Yeah I know I just put into words for you.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Legit, or Troll...
    We certainly need some more info...
    like the mysterious code that was pulled, and unexplainable...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Blowing up a transmission 3 times in less than 8k has got to be a record.

Running 45 in 4th gear would be bad enough. Running that way with a heavy wind (I'm assuming head wind) is clutch suicide. If this is the way you ride the Spyder all the time then the surprise may be that you've only had the transmission fail 3 times in 8k miles.

You say there is a code, but without that code there's no chance of anyone giving you more information. Like saying, 'Come visit me, I have an address'.

Very strange...

Has anyone ventured to call the number? Not recommending it, just curious.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I Googled the number, looks like is is based out of San diego, not az.... ?

Spyder Garage

The registered location for that phone number is San Diego, CA and not the same as the posted location of the person posting.

Glo Ryders {4 sets (Blue, Red, Orange, Pink) I swap out}
    Rear Trunk Liner ......... Seal Floorboards
    Rear Trunk Shelf
    Corbin Heated Seat
    extra 12V plug
    Elka shocks
    White/Red fender lights
    Bump/skid
    Baker Wind Wings
    Honey Burl Dash Kit

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

My audio offering in response to this situation...

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yfactor View Post
    The registered location for that phone number is San Diego, CA and not the same as the posted location of the person posting.
    Could be his cell I live in SC but still have an Ohio area code on my cell ( so my poor relatives can call me on a local call).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default RON

where the heck did you find that?

here is back at you

we were the opening act in 73

Spyder Garage

OMG - you guys are killing me... where else would I find such entertainment at 10:40 in the evening? Thanks for the chuckle... Sue (who has a few more posts than 1, but not nearly as many as Bob Denman)

Spyder Garage

I am seriously trying to be a less cynical person...This is NOT helping me with that!
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    I am seriously trying to be a less cynical person...This is NOT helping me with that!
    Hang in there. Enjoy the intermission entertainment.

I even came back later than usual to see if the OP had come back with some additional information.

Miracles can happen.

2020 F3L , Magma Red