Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I also picked up a book called Alaska By Motorcycle by Dr Gregory Frazier just for some reading and back ground. Plus my buddy runs a motorcycle touring company up into Eastern Canada out of Vermont so I'll pick his brain. Now that I know there's gas every 110 miles, I doubt that I'll carry extra.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    On my last trip going east on the Alcan--the most distant gas stop was 110 miles or so between Tok and Destruction Bay Yukon. I adopted the get gas when you see it method, and that was the end of my worries.

I have not driven the southerly route--Washington State--North so cannot speak to the gas conditions. The Milepost magazine can give you good information here.

There are a lot of scary legends about the Alcan. Don't let them scare you off from a great trip. It is paved all the way, except for road work that can be encountered. You can encounter pot holes and frost heaves, but they are all doable if one exercises caution.

repair could be an issue--but there is safety in numbers.

The Milepost will help to alleviate some concerns.

I think Yazz, Gary, and I would also agree that the"Milepost" is the bible for travel in Alaska and Canada.

Spyder Garage

Default Yep tentative depart point

Quote Originally Posted by sddinnh View Post
    My friend who runs a touring company also recommended the same thing. I know I'll be carry 2 xtra gallons of gas on the bike.

I thought we were all going to meet at the owners event then take off from there
    after BRP OE/2015 ... All stay "alert" as I will send out a group PM next week...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd like to nominate a name for this adventure: SpyderTrek
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post

Spyder Garage

Default I'm seriously thinking about this trip.

I’m entertaining the idea of this trip to Alaska. Sounds like a lot of fun! I see all the 14’s piping in and not too many13’s and earlier. Would the 998’s slowyou down or are they welcome?
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    I’m entertaining the idea of this trip to Alaska. Sounds like a lot of fun! I see all the 14’s piping in and not too many13’s and earlier. Would the 998’s slowyou down or are they welcome?
    Of course the 998s are welcome! We're all trekking as a group and I doubt if anyone will be setting any records.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Sent you PM

If you have shown any interest in the 2015 North to Alaska trip I just sent out a PM...if you do not receive and want to be on "my list"...please let me know. Everyone have a great day.
    Re; Firestorm report. Cooler temps, no winds last night and 700 firefighters arrived...more in today including National Guard. and 60% rain predicted for Weds (not so good as lightening also predicted)...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Spyder Garage

PM sent

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

An article I found about motorcycling to Alaska:

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/mot...alaska-highway
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're gonna need a theme song...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Went last year- in a camper

Me and my dear wife drove 5000 miles from MA to Fairbanks then all around AK for the month of September, came home in October. Never got even one bug bite as we went late enough in the year to be past bug season.

The road were very good with the exception of some frost heave areas that has us cruising at about 35 for an hour here and there. Most of the time the roads allowed normal speeds- 50-70.

We saw lots and lots of motorcycles early on, less as September progressed. One real nice day I ran into a guy on a BMW a said "Nice day for a ride" He said "Every day is a nice day for a ride!" That is the attitude you need for a road trip to AK because you are bound to get rained on, hot, cold, and dusty too.

Any time we saw a motorcycle by the side of the road we stopped to see if everything was OK- it always was. A testament to modern build quality I guess, that and the idea that folks who choose to ride that far are probably well experienced.

I'm going back next year...hmmm maybe on my RTL?

Spyder Garage

This is looking better for me being able to go I talked to my director at work about the possability of taking 4 weeks off next year. He told me today that he is putting into his budget for a temp for 6 weeks and bring the temp in two weeks before I go so I can train him/her how to do my job

Now if my wife can get the time off
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

My wife and I did a 9000 mile trip this summer and our end goal was to go 18,000 miles with Alaska as one of our destinations but we did not make it there. I would love to go if I can take time off work again so I'll just keep following this thread for now. I am getting excited just thinking about a convoy of Spyders heading to Alaska.

Active Member One Legged Willie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Hmmm . . . .

Just got back from Alaska about two weeks ago, drove up and rode the ferry back and had the trip of lifetime!!! Wandered Hwy 101 and Hwy 1 to San Diego and meandered through Zion, North Rim, Million Dollar Hwy to Carlsbad Caverns on the way home. Five weeks, three days but stayed with cousins son (second cousin?) in Wasilla for ten days and traveled 11,597 miles. Haven't made any definite plans for next year yet but thinking of spending 4th of July in Atlanta. If it is something that your thinking about doing, it was well worth it for me and I would highly recommend going if the opportunity presents itself, life is way to short!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Count me in

Real interested in going along. I was raised on the Kenai Peninsula, graduated from high school up there 50 years ago next year. Not sure if we'll have a reunion but I can't think of a better way to go back up there than with a caravan of spyderlovers. I too was thinking about the ferry out of Bellingham, WA. Still a lot of beautiful road to ryde once in Alaska. I've driven the Alcan (car and truck) several times and it can be a challenge. Generally al lot of construction. Definitely need to take extra gas as stations are far apart. Add us to the list....

YumaJim & Cricket

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    This is looking better for me being able to go I talked to my director at work about the possability of taking 4 weeks off next year. He told me today that he is putting into his budget for a temp for 6 weeks and bring the temp in two weeks before I go so I can train him/her how to do my job

Now if my wife can get the time off
    I'm assuming I'll be away 6 weeks: at least a week going to and at the OE (which we are assuming will be in Oregon the last week of June), then 5-10 days going to Alaska, 10 days or so traveling within in Alaska, and at least 10 days or so getting home to Kansas from Alaska.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have been wondering if anyone is willing to drive a "sag wagon" along with the group to carry parts, fuel, etc. I know sometimes a couple likes to travel but one of them doesn't want to ride on the Spyder, but brings another vehicle.

I just visited with my best friend, Cathy, and told her about this possible trip and wondered out loud if she and her husband would like to go along in their truck. She said she was thinking the same thing and will talk to her husband about it. They were thinking of doing an Alaska cruise, but might consider this. Spyder ryders could provide their own parts, etc., and Cathy and hubby could transport them for us. I would take extra tire(s), belt, oil, filter, fuel, etc.

Also, it may be too early to plan it, but we would have to decide on some rendezvous points, with people coming from all over the US. [My inner analyst needs a valium!]
    Patty, that is a really good idea. We would be willing to supply the necessary tools and if your friends could haul them that would help out a lot. I'll have a spare trailer tire and so will Karyl, we always carry a patch kit and compressor and we can bring our smaller floor jack. If we had one or two rear tires that would be great since they aren't readily available. For the front tires we could figure out what model year mix we have and bring spares accordingly. We would want everyone to make sure that their tires are in excellent condition before they leave for the trip.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by One Legged Willie View Post
    Just got back from Alaska about two weeks ago, drove up and rode the ferry back and had the trip of lifetime!!! Wandered Hwy 101 and Hwy 1 to San Diego and meandered through Zion, North Rim, Million Dollar Hwy to Carlsbad Caverns on the way home. Five weeks, three days but stayed with cousins son (second cousin?) in Wasilla for ten days and traveled 11,597 miles. Haven't made any definite plans for next year yet but thinking of spending 4th of July in Atlanta. If it is something that your thinking about doing, it was well worth it for me and I would highly recommend going if the opportunity presents itself, life is way to short!!!
    If I may ask, how much did the ferry cost, including your vehicle?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That sounds like a wonderful trip. So many places to ryde, so little money!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Patty, that is a really good idea. We would be willing to supply the necessary tools and if your friends could haul them that would help out a lot. I'll have a spare trailer tire and so will Karyl, we always carry a patch kit and compressor and we can bring our smaller floor jack. If we had one or two rear tires that would be great since they aren't readily available. For the front tires we could figure out what model year mix we have and bring spares accordingly. We would want everyone to make sure that their tires are in excellent condition before they leave for the trip.
    That's good thinking, Ann. We could take an assortment of stuff that might be needed instead of each Spyder-owner taking a complete set of what they might need. I'm wondering about logistics for the tires/parts. When we get back to the lower-48, my friends (or whoever does that part) would have the unused stuff in their truck. How to return it to the people who paid for it?

Then I got to thinking about maybe a dealer/sponsor could provide some parts to take along and restock what isn't used. Only charging us for what we actually use along the way. Mmmmmmmm. . . . who might want to do that?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Active Member One Legged Willie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Ferry cost-

For two of us, one bike, one Spyder was a little over $3000. The bikes cost $750 apiece, (under 10 feet) $570 I think for each person and another $470 or so for a sleeping berth. Alaska marine highway is where to go for information. We booked last fall because they do have limited space but many on the boat booked in the spring. We left Whittier AK Monday at midnight and arrived in Bellingham WA Saturday morning at 8:00 am, any other questions feel free to ask

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For two of us, one bike, one Spyder was a little over $3000. The bikes cost $750 apiece, (under 10 feet) $570 I think for each person and another $470 or so for a sleeping berth. Alaska marine highway is where to go for information. We booked last fall because they do have limited space but many on the boat booked in the spring. We left Whittier AK Monday at midnight and arrived in Bellingham WA Saturday morning at 8:00 am, any other questions feel free to ask
    Thanks for the info. I suspected it was expensive, and now I know. I think that doesn't include food service either. But at least you get to see some inward passage sights you wouldn't see otherwise.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's good thinking, Ann. We could take an assortment of stuff that might be needed instead of each Spyder-owner taking a complete set of what they might need. I'm wondering about logistics for the tires/parts. When we get back to the lower-48, my friends (or whoever does that part) would have the unused stuff in their truck. How to return it to the people who paid for it?

Then I got to thinking about maybe a dealer/sponsor could provide some parts to take along and restock what isn't used. Only charging us for what we actually use along the way. Mmmmmmmm. . . . who might want to do that?
    That's a good idea on a dealer sponsoring a few parts. I go through enough tires that I wouldn't mind buying a rear tire (non OEM) and if it wasn't used on the trip I would take it back.

As for our tools, we travel with them normally so I could get them to our meet up location but it would be nice to take a little weight off my trailer on the rough roads and put the tool boxes in the chase vehicle.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Would you pursue

Patti...I just delegated to you, if you would accept the assignment!!! To find dealer/sponsor or more than one...that is a great idea........go PrairieSpyder GO..
    My Motto Is: