Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Alaska has arrived at the top of my list

I know, I know...not done ryding in 2014...BUT been home a few days, unpacked...suppose to be 108' today.."locked" in house cussing AC, but yet saying oh I like this. Can't be a pool toy any longer or my wrinkles will have wrinkles. Sooo what do I do best? Think about where me and Studly need to travel to. Sooo Alaska is right there:

Are you interested in joining me? 2, 3, or 4 can travel cheaper than 1 and I'm pretty easy...(just don't deny me my coffee!!!) to travel with. [realize that is a personal, prejudice opinion but there are a couple folks on SLovers I can send you to to get the 'real story']

Here is what I am thinking and TOTALLY open to all ideas, suggestions and thoughts. I have my file labeled ALASKA and right now it is empty (not a good thing ).

After BRP announces where 2015 Owner's event is going to be...if works then head north to Alaska after owner's event. I've been told July is best month to go to Alaska. Also been told that roads from lower 48 to Alaska are very good.

So input is wanted.. plus if you are interested in joining .. then let's start plotting and planning. ALASKA in 2015 for murphybrown and "Studly".. and ??? (insert your name)
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well, AKSPYDERMAN said he wanted to fill his yard with Spyders and throw a big BBQ so there you go, a destination
    Last edited by sddinnh; 07-16-2014 at 12:01 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm in, especially if the owner's event will be in Oregon in 2015. If it's in Maggie Valley again, I'll stay home and you can come by to get me on your way NW from there. I'll have to save my money - traveling cheap to SpyderQuest; stay away from Vendor Village at SpyderFest ! [That's going to be tough.] This is not a trip I'd try alone but with a group it would be really fun. I'll start getting my passport updated.

I wonder how many people AKSpyderMan can put up? I can bring a tent.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Great

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I'm in, especially if the owner's event will be in Oregon in 2015. If it's in Maggie Valley again, I'll stay home and you can come by to get me on your way NW from there. I'll have to save my money - traveling cheap to SpyderQuest; stay away from Vendor Village at SpyderFest ! [That's going to be tough.] This is not a trip I'd try alone but with a group it would be really fun. I'll start getting my passport updated.

I wonder how many people AKSpyderMan can put up? I can bring a tent.
    Patti at this year's owner's event Chaz stated that it would NOT be Maggie Valley for 2015...there is an interview that Spyder TV did with Chaz at OE and he again stated that. Just an FYI... hoping AKSpyderman is reading these posts...he may be moving!!!!!
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Spyder Garage

The last time (and the first) we did Alaska it took three weeks and 8,400 miles round trip. We also went in July and I agree that is the best time to do it. The alcon hwy can be a pothole nightmare so be ready for that. We do want to go back, but wanted to take more time and not sure my work will let me take it. It is four more years before retirement , unless the lottery ticket comes through . We will think about this and let you know as this sure would be fun.

Les and Kathy
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Karyl just for the heck of it I went on line to see how far it would be. Waterboro, ME to Springfield, MO to Chugiak, AK to Chelan, WA back to Waterboro, ME. 10446 miles. At 500 miles per day it comes to 21 days just traveling. Now we have to figure out places to visit. Spyderfest would be a week alone. Already almost a month. I think we're looking at at least two months. Starting to sound like it could be fun.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a road trip is brewing. Way to go Murphybrown and Prairie Spyder.

I do have a yard which could accommodate a small group of campers--providing you like a view of woods and mountains. I even get an occasional moose strolling through the neighborhood.

There is also a pretty nice motel about five miles down the road.

You folks can contact me by PM and I will be happy to answer any questions you have, maybe give you some ideas, and suggestions for great rydes, both near or far (your choice).

Your first mission--should you decide to accept it--is to purchase a copy of the Milepost. 2015 versions should be out by the end of the year. A 2014 version is also okay--but will not be 100% up to date. Good information on road conditions, places to stop and smell the fireweed, and suggestions for stops and gas. Not all are in the Milepost (advertisers only), but it does work pretty satisfactory.

Always some construction on the Alcan--but usually not to much of an ordeal as long as you are not riding in the rain and in the "soup."

Wow--you folks already have me excited. And yes--July is usually the best.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-16-2014 at 02:49 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rogerb View Post
    Karyl just for the heck of it I went on line to see how far it would be. Waterboro, ME to Springfield, MO to Chugiak, AK to Chelan, WA back to Waterboro, ME. 10446 miles. At 500 miles per day it comes to 21 days just traveling. Now we have to figure out places to visit. Spyderfest would be a week alone. Already almost a month. I think we're looking at at least two months. Starting to sound like it could be fun.
    You can pick me up on the way and you'll have company for almost the whole trip (shy maybe 50 miles on both ends)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Bob Denman type post comin' right up!!

Spyder Garage

Default Awesome..!!

keep us up to date on your progress..you may end up with a caravan..how cheap is it for 50.... Good luck with the plan...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rogerb View Post
    SpyderFest in Springfield, MO, is end of Apr-first of May. OE is in June. We're talking about July for this AK trip. If OE is in Oregon, as rumored, it could be combined nicely. But if you're talking about combining with SpyderFest, you're talking about at least 3 months on the road.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

If OE is in Oregon, then going to Alaska makes perfect sense. Pretty interested in this idea....

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a great trip...especially if you're retired! Darn work always gets in the way!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

July, 2015...
    If I start whing next Month...
    (I've got to save some space for SpyderFest 2015...)
    This could be...EPIC!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Question

Do you need a passport to go? Sounds like a fun trip.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderal11 View Post
    Passports are needed to go into Canada. Also, no guns allowed in Canada.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Need for a passport

You will need a passport or enhanced drivers license to get into Canada, from Canada into Alaska, from Alaska back into Canada, and from Canada back into the lower 48.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, you need a passport to go through Canada - and then to get back into the States!

I've thought about doing Alaska via a ferry, but over land would be a much greater adventure. Though the ferry may save some time!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Yes, you need a passport to go through Canada - and then to get back into the States!

I've thought about doing Alaska via a ferry, but over land would be a much greater adventure. Though the ferry may save some time!
    The ferrys are pricey and it's good idea to book reservations a year in advance. Wish I could go with y'all...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Default Alaska

I road my roadking to Alaska in 2006....a little over 5800 miles in about 3.5 weeks.....the Alcan is a pretty drive, great scenery, lots of animals and full of frost heaves which are like speed bumps...most of them are marked but I hit one at 70 mph that was not marked and put both wheels og the roadking in the air....that was exciting...they also do a lot of chip seal in the summer....I have lots of pics I took on my trip...pm me is you want to talk some more about your trip....

are you going to the redwoods?

pic1 037.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Yes on passport

Canada will require. Apply now..good for 10 years.

my plan is AFTER BRP OWNER's EVENT to head north to Alaska. I think a caravan would be AWESOME. I'm making a list of those who have interest...mrfats...dang that working..still put you on the list!!!
    My Motto Is:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lwrydr View Post
    I road my roadking to Alaska in 2006....a little over 5800 miles in about 3.5 weeks.....the Alcan is a pretty drive, great scenery, lots of animals and full of frost heaves which are like speed bumps...most of them are marked but I hit one at 70 mph that was not marked and put both wheels og the roadking in the air....that was exciting...they also do a lot of chip seal in the summer....I have lots of pics I took on my trip...pm me is you want to talk some more about your trip....

are you going to the redwoods?

pic1 037.jpg
    Wow - that's the year we went and we did it on a Road King also 8400 miles for us in 3 weeks.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Alaska

one half of us is retired and Alaska has been on my bucket list for 30 years, even if the OE is not in Oregon we would love to go , our passports are up to date and it doesn't take long to pack a Spyder and a year is plenty time to work out the logistics , the retired half just bought her own Spyder and I can work my vacation time in. If you can forgive us for missing the Heart of Washington this year we would like to go.
    Spyder camping 4-13-14 010.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Default Ok ok I forgive for missing HOW

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    one half of us is retired and Alaska has been on my bucket list for 30 years, even if the OE is not in Oregon we would love to go , our passports are up to date and it doesn't take long to pack a Spyder and a year is plenty time to work out the logistics , the retired half just bought her own Spyder and I can work my vacation time in. If you can forgive us for missing the Heart of Washington this year we would like to go.
    Spyder camping 4-13-14 010.jpg
    i just placed you on the "Yes, interested" list. Stay tuned
    My Motto Is:

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I sure would consider going. Sounds like fun. Only constraint for me is to be back home no later than mid August in order to get ready to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary and the wife's 75th birthday. I would be going solo.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)