Thread: Sena 20S

Spyder Garage

Default Sena 20S

I thought I asked yesterday, but does anyone heard of any reviews on the Sena 20S's ?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am wanting to here some reviews myself

Spyder Garage

What do you want to know?

The hardware is great, but the software has a bunch of bugs, at the moment.

To be honest, I expected nothing else, because that's always the way it works with Sena, and they will fix the bugs and add features over time, like they did with the SMH10B and SMH10R, so I'm still enjoying my 20S.

Spyder Garage

I got mine yesterday. Maybe I am very stupid but I can find nowhere in the documents of "how" to charge the units. I did plug into my commuter USB ports and charge but I really would like to have a wall/usb connection so I can charge in the hotel or campground at night. The dual pac did come with two cigarette style charger adapters but I see no 120V! Am I missing something?
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I haven't looked but I thought I read that it used the same type of plug as most cellphones these days. my cellphones come with a usb disconnect that can connect to the plug for the wall or the computer.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=bmwlarry;842485]I got mine yesterday. Maybe I am very stupid but I can find nowhere in the documents of "how" to charge the units. I did plug into my commuter USB ports and charge but I really would like to have a wall/usb connection so I can charge in the hotel or campground at night. The dual pac did come with two cigarette style charger adapters but I see no 120V! Am I missing something?[/QUOTE

I got my dual 20S yesterday and you are not missing anything. You would think for $500.00 it would come with 120V adaptors. I used the 120V adaptors from my Scala to charge the units. Worked great. Will be pairing and syncing the units today. Review to follow.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Many phones use the same house charger as the SENA I use the one I have from an old phone
    it works fine. look at the plug or take the 12V one you have and go to Radio Shack or ???? and
    I am sure you will find one for little $$$
    Dave

QUOTE=bmwlarry;842485]I got mine yesterday. Maybe I am very stupid but I can find nowhere in the documents of "how" to charge the units. I did plug into my commuter USB ports and charge but I really would like to have a wall/usb connection so I can charge in the hotel or campground at night. The dual pac did come with two cigarette style charger adapters but I see no 120V! Am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You did not pay me $500.00 I am way less than that.

[QUOTE=maliamd;842534]
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    I got mine yesterday. Maybe I am very stupid but I can find nowhere in the documents of "how" to charge the units. I did plug into my commuter USB ports and charge but I really would like to have a wall/usb connection so I can charge in the hotel or campground at night. The dual pac did come with two cigarette style charger adapters but I see no 120V! Am I missing something?[/QUOTE

I got my dual 20S yesterday and you are not missing anything. You would think for $500.00 it would come with 120V adaptors. I used the 120V adaptors from my Scala to charge the units. Worked great. Will be pairing and syncing the units today. Review to follow.

Spyder Garage

Cool

I think the main reason why they don't put a USB charger in the box is the same why every phone nowadays uses Micro-USB (except Apple): So you could use the charger you prefer and won't have a whole bunch of unused ones piling at home when you don't use the device any more. With this, you can buy a really good charger and use it for everything.

When on the road I'm using a RavPower RP-UC07 charger with four USB ports to charge our two Senas and cells at the same time, and it needs only one wall outlet.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Motorcycledave;842977]You did not pay me $500.00 I am way less than that.
    Last edited by Nils888; 07-17-2014 at 10:08 AM.

2014 RTS SE6 White
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka front shocks supplied by Pitbull Power sports.
    Aligned By Squared Away
    Smooth Spyder belt tensioner
    Sprderpops Bump skid
    BRP TRI AXSIS Handle bars
    Luggage rack
    2013 STS SE5 Circuit Yellow. The Jenny Mobile!

Spyder Garage

Well, I promised a review and here it is for what it is worth! As for charging, I found my iPad charger worked just fine. As for the Sena 20S - ugly!! I charged them, updated the software and paired them to my phone and GPS. Now, I did this by using only the main unit without the base, mike, speakers attached. Then I spent time removing the Scalas and installing them on both helmets. Next what I found out sucked - there was no sound coming out of my unit ( I never got a chance to try my wifes). I repaired several different ways but still nothing! I called tech support and spent over an hour refreshing, repairing in all possible configurations and no sound would come out of the speakers. I have now filled out the SENA RMA and will have to wait for a new set to be delivered!

What I have learned from this - BEFORE I install in my helmets, I will do all the pairing and testing with the units assembled in front of me as in SENA's instruction videos so I can verify the speakers have the sound!!!
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Motorcycledave;842977]You did not pay me $500.00 I am way less than that.

I did not pay $500.00. Some retailers are charging that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    I thought I asked yesterday, but does anyone heard of any reviews on the Sena 20S's ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabricater View Post
    I am wanting to here some reviews myself
    Here's thread on ADVRider on the 20S. Just look at the same half dozen pages or so. The first part deals with waiting and speculation. You will see some are having issues.
    I got mine today and plugged it in to charge it. Wasn't hard to figure out where. Just look at the diagram. Tomorrow I will up date the firmware but I may make sure it works first. I'm in the same situation as bmwlarry, I will be replacing Scalas that are working now. I don't want to mount them and find they are not working.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...928943&page=34
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.