Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default First test ride. Not at all what I expected.

First I come from riding on two wheels. Second, I read the whole Do's and Don'ts thread which was a big help on the test ride. My first thought as I pulled out onto the road was I am either going to run off the side or over the center line. That first left turn on to the road was like "why the hell is this thing trying to go right? I want to go left!". Being used to counter steer really threw me. For the first few hundred feet down the road I sure I looked like a drunk driver. Then I remembered the thread and relaxed my grip. This was a semi automatic so at the first stop light I had this feeling of "where the hell are my controls?" No front brake, no clutch level, no shift lever. Two things I should have done. First sit on the bike and visualize starting and going up through the gears. Braking with just one foot and no hands. Second, I should have done some slow driving around the lot before going out on the road which was two lanes each way separated by a double yellow. When I got back to the lot and relayed my feelings about the ride he said he usually has people take it around t he lot first but since I was an experienced rider he just let me go. I told him everyone should go around the lot first. Especially bike riders.

I thought I would feel more comfortable with my wife one a Spyder rather than her bike. She just doesn't get enough seat time to get really good at the slow speed stuff and tends to drop the bike occasionally. Five minutes in to this ride I was convinced that she would run this off the road or over the center line and kill herself.

So, how many miles does it take to get real comfortable with the Spyder steering and finger paddle shifter? How long before it becomes second nature?

The steering just seems so sensitive I would be afraid to make a quick correction if needed. I can see why the heavier sway bar is a favored update. This bike just had an alignment at the dealer. It was a used 2010 or 2011 silver RS.

Thanks
    John

Spyder Garage

Default TEE HEE HEE....

TEE HEE HEE......
    YOU TOO HUH.....?
    me 2.... my 1st ride was so 'strange'.... but after 40,000 miles, i would NEVER go back to 2 wheels....
    enjoy, and have fun....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SYPD3R

Spyder Garage

First rule of ryding a Spyder, Do Not Take A Strangle Hold On The Handlebars! Relax, correct GENTLY, don't panic. If you've ever ridden an ATV, it's a lot like that on steroids. Get some markers, cones, whatever, find a mostly vacant parking lot, lay out a course, and ryde thru it. Lean into the curves, you have to, the Spyder won't. It can take 200 to 1000 miles to get really comfortable on a Spyder, but it's worth it!

john

Spyder Garage

It took me about 500 miles. The first hundred scared the s*it out of me. I was taking curves posted 45 mph at 35 mph. Now it's second nature...I just ride it without giving it a thought.

2014 RT Limited - Black / Currant

Spyder Garage

Default Relax..!!

somewhere about 300 miles and you will be very comfortable. The steering adjusts to the need the faster you go the heavier it gets. You do have a unlearning period that may un- nerve you. You can get the sm model and get the shift and clutch lever back though most female ryders like the se model. Give yourself some time you will thank yourself...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Welcome and congrats on the switch , jumping on a spyder from 2 wheels is a very tough transition. I found a 2 wheeler is your main back ground, 300 to 500 miles is a safe. Some do take longer. Think you may wanna go to a nice big open parking lot or around your neighborhood and just do little cruising around may help, get the feel for how it feels on turns at a lower speeds first then move to higher speeds. Don't be afraid to move around the seat and lean with the turn.

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Bajaron sway bar and links

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dadof4 View Post
    It took me about 500 miles. The first hundred scared the s*it out of me. I was taking curves posted 45 mph at 35 mph. Now it's second nature...I just ride it without giving it a thought.
    Same for me, 500 miles and you should be comfortable even on really curvy roads.

2012 Spyder RT Limited
    Guardian Bell (gift from son)
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    ISCI hand brake
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors

Spyder Garage

The Spyder is for my wife but I'm sure I will ride it too. I'm going to stick mainly to two wheels myself. I'm going to try and get her out on a couple of hour test ride. The salesmen said we could take it for a few hours. My wife says she would rather have the manual shift but I might like it better if she got the semi-auto. Then stalling on a steep hill wouldn't ever be an issue. Any idea which transmission there is more demand for?

The other funny thing is that there wasn't much of a price difference between the used semi-auto one and a new 2014 manual shift.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

if you stall on a hill with the semi auto and don't put on the brake you will roll backwards and in my case , grabbing for the hand brake that wasn't there..

they all have their features

Spyder Garage

I've had my ST for a few weeks now, and feel very comfortable on it for the most part. The only issue I have is how this motor likes high revs. Keep wanting to shift.

Spyder Garage

At 600 miles I am starting to take 45 MPH curves up to 40MPH now. Biggest problem I have now is the leaning makes my hip hurt. Still more practice to come!
    2014 Pearl white RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    The Spyder is for my wife but I'm sure I will ride it too. I'm going to stick mainly to two wheels myself. I'm going to try and get her out on a couple of hour test ride. The salesmen said we could take it for a few hours. My wife says she would rather have the manual shift but I might like it better if she got the semi-auto. Then stalling on a steep hill wouldn't ever be an issue. Any idea which transmission there is more demand for?

The other funny thing is that there wasn't much of a price difference between the used semi-auto one and a new 2014 manual shift.
    My first Spyder was an RS SM5 that I purchased 2 years ago and I had little motorcycle experience but had no problem with the manual transmission. I spent a lot of time on residential streets and rural roads following hubby, to learn the ins and outs of my Spyder. 17k miles later and after BRP came out with the inline triple motor on the new '14 RT's and wonderful heat management, I upgraded because I loved to take long trips and wanted more comfort. My hubby talked me into the SE6 but that SM6 is really, really sweet and so smooth.

JMHO, but if a brand new RT with the all new engine and technology , is in the same price range as an older model with old tech, I'd definitely be eyeing that '14. It's so worth it.....��. And the SE model is the preferred transmission.
    Last edited by CentralCoastCA; 07-15-2014 at 11:05 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope you didn't relay your feelings of uneasiness to your wife. It sounds like she is the perfect candidate for a Spyder and she will love it for what it is. A safe way for her to keep in the wind without the worry of dropping a two wheeler. I had very little two wheel experience and it had been 15 years since I had ridden two when I started riding the Spyder. My husband hated the Spyder for the same reasons you are having trouble with it and that worried me that if he didn't like it how could I? I love it and with nearly 100,000 Spyder miles I wouldn't give it up for anything.

Let her take one for a test ride and see how she likes it. She's the one who matters in this. Also, tell her to check out Girls on Spyders on Facebook.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My wife is adjusting very easily to the Spyder (she is an excellant motorcycle rider)

As far as a death grip -- after reading a number of posts on here about wind and 2 wheels or 3 wheels -- I would have to say -- a death grip is not good on any vehicle -- just relax and the machine do its thing

Spyder Garage

ive had 55 motorcycles and it took me 600 miles to get used to my spyder,i dtill have three bikes now as you can see so send us a pick as soon as you get your spyder you will learn to love it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

and I'm glad you survive the unfamiliar .

Take your time and you'll get bitten by your before you know it.

On the owners manual there's a guide line to practice riding and it's

recommended on empty parking lot. Enjoy and ride safe.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Most people report 250 - 500 miles of learning curve before they are comfortable with the . I took about 1500 miles--but am a slow learner I guess.

A few extra minutes in the parking lot is a good idea as well as 50 or so miles on lesser traveled roads if possible.

Glad you made it through the test ryde okay. Like SpyderAnn said, don't give the missus any ideas. She might surprise you. My spouse had it figured out in less than 100 miles back in 2009.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Freak

I hate to be a braggart but I knew exactly how a spyder was going to handle. VERY DIFFERENTLY. The first one I saw on the road I said, what is that freak of nature? I've gotta have one!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Over 21,000 miles...

...And I learn something new EVERY day!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Parking lot first, 2 lane, one in each direction for a while. Then the best riding experience in the world for most of us. Good luck and have fun.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I agree, let the wife see the video and read the dos and don't, then let her practice And decide for herself.
    I had 2 wheels over 45 years, but had ridden snow mobiles, so the transition was quick. Just had to get used to no front brake lever.
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I agree that the steering is a bit too sensitive. I wish it were a little less so. Some may say I'm out of alignment. And that may be true but I find it sad you have to spend money to fix a brand new vehicle that should be right when you buy it.

Spyder Garage

After riding 2 wheels for so long the adjustment period to my wife's SE5 took about 50 to 100 miles or so. When it came time to buy my Spyder I found that the SM5 was much more comfortable and enjoyable for me. Just sitting on the spyder and pressing the little button to shift was not doing it for me.
    His - 2013 RSS SM5
    Hers - 2013 RS SE5

Proud Army Veterans!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    TEE HEE HEE......
    YOU TOO HUH.....?
    me 2.... my 1st ride was so 'strange'.... but after 40,000 miles, i would NEVER go back to 2 wheels....
    enjoy, and have fun....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SYPD3R
    after reading your post checked the milage,I have ridden a little over 32,000 miles on my 3 separate Spyders I am very comfortable on my 2014 RTs and would never go back to 2 wheels

Very Happy Rider

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post

So, how many miles does it take to get real comfortable with the Spyder steering and finger paddle shifter? How long before it becomes second nature?

The steering just seems so sensitive I would be afraid to make a quick correction if needed. I can see why the heavier sway bar is a favored update. This bike just had an alignment at the dealer. It was a used 2010 or 2011 silver RS.

Thanks
    John

Your post took me back to 1974 when we bought our first Honda 360 T's. My wife and I were born and raised in Canada and grew up riding snowmobiles. When we moved to Michigan we thought riding the Hondas would be fun and had them delivered to our home from the dealership. We both took our first rides and we both missed the first turn and ended up in a field. We just couldn't seem to get used to the fact that you had to lean in a different direction than we had learned on the snowmobiles.

It took a few weeks to get the hang of counter steering but once we got it in our system we could hang on corners with the best of them. Over the years we rode Suzukis, more Hondas, Harleys, Yamahas and ultimately the first Spyder. Whoopee!!! that was like learning to ride all over again. It took us about 500 miles to UNLEARN our two wheel habits. It came back quickly but maybe that was because of our snowmobile experience.

I'd suggest 750 miles for you but if your wife doesn't have to UNLEARN any of those two wheel habits she will be up and running in short order.

Don't discourage her.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)