Spyder Garage

Default First Gas Mileage In On New 2014

So full tank leaving dealer. At 100 miles had 1/2 tank left but filled up next day for 200 mile day ride, 32 mpg. Second day with pretty much all 50-60 two lane hiway speed, 39mpg and 320 miles on bike. Very, very pleased, can now breathe easier on bike trips in the boonies. And oh yes, what a sweet ride. RTS SE6!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

900 miles on mine and 39 mpg

Spyder Garage

on the new Spryder and the improved milage. the 2014 RT's are fantastic.

For me it was after 2000 miles before I hit the 40's. Yours should improve as you get some miles on it. My best so far was 44mpg while driving the Million doller hwy.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default It gets better

You'll see improved gas mileage based on my experience. We had in the low 30's MPG for the first 1500 miles or so. Then it seemed to get better rapidly. In the Black Hills over the 4th on our vacation, we were getter around 42 MPG just cruisin' the highways (60 MPH and less). Lots of stops and slow speeds....nice MPG on several fill-ups!

Interstate is another thing....you will pay in MPG to get there faster....We were on a 75 MPH interstate and got in the lower 30's for MPG.

So hard, fast driving like interstates expect lower, but the 55-60 MPH roads, expect to get around high 30's to low 40's MPG.

Best wishes for a fun season of rydin'
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 07-15-2014 at 10:23 AM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Great news..!

we are loving it cause now we don't have to stop so often for the RT guys to fill up. It will get better then it will be ya'lls turn to complain... Congrats on your improved mileage now watch the road and not the gas guage...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Bummed. Not that we got our Spyder for gas mileage but it sure would be nice to see something closer to the numbers others are posting. With over 4K on our 2014 I still only get in the low 30's even under the best conditions. As A test I ran a tank with slow starts, easy throttle, and low speeds and was still at 33 MPG. Was hoping to see an improvement as the mileage added up or after the first service but nada.

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Based on what most are posting, the mileage per gallon seems much better on the 2014 1330, compared to the 998 Rotax.

I got 37 mpg on the first tank. My most recent tank was 38 mpg. 4000 miles on the odometer so far. I don't do jack rabbit starts, do a lot of highway speed (68-70 mpg) and drive a lot of twisties and elevation. Not trying to save or use gas here but I am liking the results so far.

As comparison, our 2011 gets a consistent 31 mpg under the same conditions.

Still waiting for that elusive 40 mpg though.

UPDATE: 7/15 Today's fill up got me 39.51--I call that 40 mpg. Also going to try the lower shift points on my next tank.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-15-2014 at 07:14 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zuni View Post
    Bummed. Not that we got our Spyder for gas mileage but it sure would be nice to see something closer to the numbers others are posting. With over 4K on our 2014 I still only get in the low 30's even under the best conditions. As A test I ran a tank with slow starts, easy throttle, and low speeds and was still at 33 MPG. Was hoping to see an improvement as the mileage added up or after the first service but nada.

CJ JAX
    Where are your shift points?

2,500 miles, and a 38.9 mpg average...
    BUT...
    1st, to 2nd, to 3rd upshifts are grabbed early... right at 2,000 rpm
    4th to 5th to 6th might be up near 2,500 rpm; not much more than that.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

BUT...

Working pretty much in the same area Bob. Wondered if the brakes were dragging or the alignment was waaaaay out. Explained the situation when I took it in for the first srevice. When I got it back they said all was fine and low 30's was in spec for the machine. Still figuring something is up or I am doing something wrong. Last group run the other 14's were doing 6 or more mpg better than mine.

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

BUT...

UPDATE: 7/15 Today's fill up got me 39.51--I call that 40 mpg. Also going to try the lower shift points on my next tank.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default 3 BANGERS

LOOKS LIKE YOU3 BANGERS ARE GETTING BETTER MILEAGE THAN US 2 BANGERS....

CAN'T WAIT FOR
    BRP TO PUT THAT MOTOR IN THE RS... I'LL BE 1st IN LINE FOR ONE....
    DAN P
    EASLEY, SC
    SPYD3R

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Something I've noticed about the V-twins is that fuel mileage seems to be better at higher elevations. We make a trip up into the mountains in northern New Mexico most every year and I often get over 40 mpg while riding in the mountains where I seldom exceed 30 mpg around here in west Texas. At first I thought that the difference was just that I was riding slower on the mountain roads but I've tried and I can't ride slow enough around here to even approach 40 mpg. I believe it's caused by the ECU compensating for the lack of oxygen at higher elevations by leaning the fuel/air mixture. I would expect the 1330 ECU's to do the same thing. If that's the case, you just might see higher average fuel mileage if you live at a higher elevation. So, zuni, living in Jacksonville, Fl., may never be able to get the mileage that folks living in higher elevations will get. The tradeoff, though is that zuni will make more horsepower at sea level than the folks in the mountains.

Cotton