Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RS in a uhaul trailer

Prior to picking up my 2008 RS, I did some Internetresearch and found numerous articles warning about using a uhaul trailer. I went to my local uhaul, measured twice, and came up with a plan. Uhaul had two 6x12 trailers. One with a fold down ramp, which as stated in previous posts, would not work due to the narrow opening. The other has a drop gate. I simply used two wooden 2x8 with ramp ends and a tri fold ramp we used for atv's. Worked great and the opening is plenty wide. No bottoming out and no wheel rash. We simply used ratchet straps as described in the manual and found no movement of the new toys. Even when at highway speeds we experienced a blow out. That little incident doubled our travel time but made for some serious laughs.

Spyder Garage

Default Good to know..!!

nice that they do have a trailer that works. Hopefully it is a version easily had all over. Sorry about the blowout but if it was laughable then all must be good now..enjoy the toy and be safe..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Check often

I have towed my Spyder several times now in my Toyhauler. This last trip home we did not go to far maybe 50 miles and one of the tie downs back to front was very loose. Pulled it tight again and after about 150 miles I just had a feeling I needed to check again. The strap on the opposite side going rear to front was torn! But luckely the other one that was previously loose remained tight. I always carry a couple of spare ratchet straps so all was good. But I was on a couple of rough sections of road so you need to check no matter what trailer you are towing with. This will save your Spyder & trailer from damage.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS REALLY, REALLY REALLY WORKS

Quote Originally Posted by 900Dave View Post
    I have towed my Spyder several times now in my Toyhauler. This last trip home we did not go to far maybe 50 miles and one of the tie downs back to front was very loose. Pulled it tight again and after about 150 miles I just had a feeling I needed to check again. The strap on the opposite side going rear to front was torn! But luckely the other one that was previously loose remained tight. I always carry a couple of spare ratchet straps so all was good. But I was on a couple of rough sections of road so you need to check no matter what trailer you are towing with. This will save your Spyder & trailer from damage.
    ...This is a re-post of info........What I did was to put a single rachet strap over the rear wheel ....lower the tire pressure a little ( to 15 lbs. ) tighten the strap....your Spyder will not MOVE PERIOD.........No scuffed paint , No scratches etc..........I had this on my GF's RT on my Trailer when it hit the toll booth in PA which ripped the entire Hitch assembly from the frame of my truck.........The RT never moved on the trailer .......That one strap cost $ 19.95 @ Discountramps.com....................just sayin ...Mikeguyver......and Dave you need to PM with an address , so I can mail you a Vermont Map & Tourist Guide .........Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

Here are some pics from the trip bringing home my 08...

This is the Uhaul trailer I rented. No ramp, just a tailgate. **NOTE: You will need 2, 2"x8"x6'long wooden ramps w/ramp ends, as well as a aluminum tri-fold atv ramp.

Not what we expected. The upside:We already had lunch and when we had the blow out we were a few hundred yards from an exit. Added two hours to our two hour trip...

Thanks to numerous posts, we had zero movement of the Spyder

Spyder Garage

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405630577.645124.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1405630605.028845.jpg

All you need is an Chevy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sempyder out,

Spyder Garage

Default BOAT TRAILER

A BOAT TRAILER WITH A LITTLE FIX'n WILL DO JUST FINE.....
    SAM_0744.jpg SAM_0748.jpg SAM_0752.jpg SAM_0754.jpg
    LESS THAN $600 TOTAL INVESTMENT, AND IT CAN BE USED FOR HAULING MOST ANYTHING OTHER THAN A SPYD3R AS WELL....
    DAN P
    EASLEY, SC
    SPYD3R
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SPYD3R; 07-17-2014 at 04:39 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Good info and some thoughts

I'll eventually need to do some hauling so good to know.

One thing I'll probably try is lashing the Spyder down like I do when moving bikes using a trick my bike dealer showed me. Use ratchet straps with the metal hooks at the end. Take the long strap and make a loop by passing the fiber end of the strap through the eye of the hook end. Wrap the loop around the handlebar grip. Attach the ratchet end to the trailer and tighten. Do this on both bars and the bike sits vertical and will not move. You don't really even need to go super tight on the ratchet; just load the suspension up a bit and you're good to go. I figure if I do the same thing at the rear end using the grab bars it'll be plenty secure with some redundancy in case one strap gets loose.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    A BOAT TRAILER WITH A LITTLE FIX'n WILL DO JUST FINE.....
    SAM_0744.jpg SAM_0748.jpg SAM_0752.jpg SAM_0754.jpg
    LESS THAN $600 TOTAL INVESTMENT, AND IT CAN BE USED FOR HAULING MOST ANYTHING OTHER THAN A SPYD3R AS WELL....
    DAN P
    EASLEY, SC
    SPYD3R
    SWEET!! Any picures with the Spyder on board? Perhaps a video showing how the winching works?? I thought of a similar set up..yours is awesome..Thanks for posting!

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Sempyder;843269]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405630577.645124.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1405630605.028845.jpg

All you need is an Chevy.

Damn! I wondered if that would work! I was concerned about the weight on the tail gate.

Spyder Garage

The windshield will catch the wind with it on the truck backwards

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    2016 Rt , Pearl white

Spyder Garage

Default Ramps

What kind of ramps do you use???
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-21-2020 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Default u haul

i did the uhaul trailer and used my car ramps and 4- 1 foot long 4x4 blocks 2 on each side of the tailgate and the ramps up against them drove right up once the front wheels were on the trailer moved 1 of the ramps under the rear tire done then 3 ratchet tie downs and off we went. even used a home depot trailer with the loading ramps had to take off one of the ramps tough trailer was an exact fit lighter then the uhaul only a single axle
    Improvise, Adapt, Overcome, Semper Fi
    2020 RT
    Limited heated seats
    removable back rest & rack
    XK Glow light
    Paint with light painted panels
    (Gone but not forgotten ) 2009 RS SE5
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you've got to haul your Spyder: spend the kids' inheritance, and do it in style!

image004.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rwebb98 View Post
    What kind of ramps do you use???
    When I was up north in Traverse City I just backed up to a snow bank and drove right off. Typically I try to use a natural incline with 2 sets of 7.5ft ramps 2 for rear tire and the other 2 for the fronts. My wife always laughs at me thinks I'm redneck.

You might be a redneck when you back your chevy into a snow bank to off load your tricycle in 28 degree weather.

I think I have video of this somewhere.

Yup[emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-21-2020 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    Sempyder out,