Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyderpops Strike Two

I just posted last week that my second install of the Spyderpop's Heat shield fell off again between Durango Colorado and Denver. After I posted this development, forum members came back and said that this had also happened to them. It would be nice if more people posted stuff like that so that others could make informed decisions before they spend money on Mods from vendors.

So this weekend I heard some plastic type slapping noise and went to investigate what it might be. After crawling around and looking up I notice that the Spyderpops "missing belt guard" had almost tore in half. There was no evidence that the belt guard had gotten caught in anything it was just tearing due to the constant turbulence up there in the belt area.

So anyone that has this mod should check on the belt guard to see if it is still holding up.

My spyder is always garaged so that did not contribute.

Spyderpop still continues not to answer the phone or return messages, both voice and email.
    Last edited by Tazzel; 07-15-2014 at 04:11 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    I just posted last week that my second install of the Spyderpop's Heat shield fell off again between Durango Colorado and Denver. After I posted this development forum members came back and said that this had also happened to them. I would be nice if more people posted stuff like that so that others could make informed decisions before the spend money on Mods from vendors.

So this weekend I heard some plastic type slapping noise and went to investigate what it might be. After crawling around and looking up I notice that the Spyderpops "missing belt guard had almost tore in half. There was no evidence that the belt guard had gotten caught in anything it was just tearing due to the constant turbulence up there in the belt area.

So anyone that has this mod should check on the belt guard to see if it is still holding up.

Spyderpop still continues not to answer the phone or return messages, both voice and email.
    Harvey is out of town. He and Lamont went to Magog. They are on I-81 in Virginia, headed south on their Spyders, as I type this . . . I'm sure you will hear from him as soon as he gets home . . . it isn't like he has a multinational corporation with thousands of employees . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Last year when I had a problem installing the Bumpskid on our RT, I talked to Harvey on the phone and he helped me get it finished. He is a one man band.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I just posted last week that my second install of the Spyderpop's Heat shield fell off again between Durango Colorado and Denver. After I posted this development forum members came back and said that this had also happened to them. I would be nice if more people posted stuff like that so that others could make informed decisions before the spend money on Mods from vendors.

So this weekend I heard some plastic type slapping noise and went to investigate what it might be. After crawling around and looking up I notice that the Spyderpops "missing belt guard had almost tore in half. There was no evidence that the belt guard had gotten caught in anything it was just tearing due to the constant turbulence up there in the belt area.

Sorry to hear that you had this problem, when Harvey (Spyderpops) gets back from Canada I am sure he will be available to assist you.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Hang in there..!!

spyderpops stands behind his products. Mine have worked well the only one (rock guard) had an unfortunate disagreement with the chain tensioner. Got a bit torn and scuffed but never came off....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    Harvey is out of town. He and Lamont went to Magog. They are on I-81 in Virginia, headed south on their Spyders, as I type this . . . I'm sure you will hear from him as soon as he gets home . . . it isn't like he has a multinational corporation with thousands of employees . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Sorry to hear that you had this problem, when Harvey (Spyderpops) gets back from Canada I am sure he will be available to assist you.

Cruzr Joe

Heading south?

Canada?

Thats gonna be a looooong ride !!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Heading south?

Canada?

Thats gonna be a looooong ride !!
    According to Lamonts Facebook page, they have left Canada and heading back.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders.
    Current Spyder, 2015 F3 Steel Black, Passenger Backrest, Blue Ridge Screen with Xcreen Extention, Akrapovic Muffler, Attitude Handlebars, Blades front rims, RT Swaybar,
    Her Spyder 2011 Magnesium RSS Sportrack and Backrest, Comfort Seat, Grip Puppies, 3.5 inch Riser Bars, Wespyd Signature Swaybar. Hindle Muffler, Godiva Screen, Hiway Pegs Can Am Panniers

Previous Spyders
    2013 ST SM5
    2011 RSS
    2010 RS
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    According to Lamonts Facebook page, they have left Canada and heading back.

Ah gotcha, thought they said they were going to some event, but guess they are coming back...

Spyder Garage

Please be sure to let us all know when Harvey contacts you . . . since you let us all know he hadn't

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

not holding my breath. When I purchased the block off plate I had an install question. Called contact number to get help and no one answered the phone. Left voice message to call me and that was 18 months ago. I guess he was on a trip then too.

I know you guys are defending him and that is great. But I have not had a very positive experience with him or his products. As someone that has thier own business its the number one no no to not be responsive to customers needs even if its setting up a voice messaging system to say "I am out of town for x number of days and will get back to you"

I guess at this point it does not matter, I will not be purchasing his products again, for me they have either fallen off or broken off.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I realize that you're frustrated...
    But you've been cooking his goose in here , and he's not around and able to defend himself...
    Give the guy a chance to do right by you, and you may just be pleasantly surprised!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Block off plate

There is really no way for heat block off plate to fall off...Except that maybe it was not installed correctly. I have had mine on my 2010
    Rt since 2011 with no problems and over 20K and it has worked flawlesly to keep excessive heat off rt foot and leg I would not RIDE IN SUMMER HEAT IF IT WASN'T FOR THE PLATE..THANK YOU SPYDERPOP FOR A GREAT PRODUCT.......A well satisfied customer....

Freebob...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by freebob View Post
    There is really no way for heat block off plate to fall off...Except that maybe it was not installed correctly. I have had mine on my 2010
    Rt since 2011 with no problems and over 20K and it has worked flawlesly to keep excessive heat off rt foot and leg I would not RIDE IN SUMMER HEAT IF IT WASN'T FOR THE PLATE..THANK YOU SPYDERPOP FOR A GREAT PRODUCT.......A well satisfied customer....

Freebob...
    Then if there is no way that it could happen I guess I imagined it twice as well as other RS owners that had the same problem. Since it is only held on with adhesive (supplied by Spyderpops) I think it would very easily fall off if the adhesive is not quality.
    Last edited by Tazzel; 07-15-2014 at 04:11 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default RT or RS

Then if there is no way that it could happen I guess I imagined it twice as well as other RS owners that had the same problem. Since it is only held on with adhesive (supplyed by Spyderpops) I think it would very easily fall off if the adhesive is not quality.
    Ok did not see in your post that your install was on a RS and not RT..Well i also had one on my 2008 GS traded in on 2010 Rt..
    I had 8K on my GS with no problems...Sorry you had problems......

Freebob...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by freebob View Post
    Ok did not see in your post that your install was on a RS and not RT..Well i also had one on my 2008 GS traded in on 2010 Rt..
    I had 8K on my GS with no problems...Sorry you had problems......

Freebob...
    Just to repeat, its not just me but I'm glad "you" did not have problems. I am only posting my experence so others can make an informed decisions to buy products or not buy products. If I had known that heat shields had a tendency to fall off, I may have enforced it with a zip tie. If I had known it was possible for the belt guard to tear, I may have at least checked on it every few months so that it did not tear completey and get caught up in the sprocket. Or I may have made a decision not to purchase at all. This is a place to come for information and I am just relating my experience.

Spyder Garage

He was in Canada last week.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just to repeat, its not just me but I'm glad "you" did not have problems. I am only posting my experence so others can make an informed decisions to buy products or not buy products. If I had known that heat shields had a tendency to fall off, I may have enforced it with a zip tie. If I had known it was possible for the belt guard to tear, I may have at least checked on it every few months so that it did not tear completey and get caught up in the sprocket. Or I may have made a decision not to purchase at all. This is a place to come for information and I am just relating my experience.
    I can understand anyone's frustration if they have a problem with a product.

However, what I cannot understand is someone riding something like a Spyder without inspecting it more often -- like every time you ride it. Seriously, if you would have done something as simple as checking your tire pressure you could possibly have noticed something.

I am not bashing you, but everyone needs to quit just hopping on their Spyders without doing an inspection before riding; at least occasionally check it out. Doing so might have saved you some grief.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

If I had known that heat shields had a tendency to fall off, I may have enforced it with a zip tie. If I had known it was possible for the belt guard to tear, I may have at least checked on it every few months so that it did not tear completey and get caught up in the sprocket.
    I had to zip tie my heat shield on my 2008 GS, after a number of months. But, in all fairness, I e-mailed Harvey and he sent a new one with instructions to use the alcohol swab and make sure the area was cleaned. It's been a few years now and the zip ties are holding nicely. I just never got around to installing the new heat shield.

The spyderpops belt guard is still doing fine though; I periodically give it a twist.

Spyder Garage

JMO
    Seems to me heat and adhesive don't go together. I would think the heat would dry the adhesive out.
    After 2 times i would be leary.
    Maybe Gorrila tape

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    However, what I cannot understand is someone riding something like a Spyder without inspecting it more often -- like every time you ride it. Seriously, if you would have done something as simple as checking your tire pressure you could possibly have noticed something.

I am not bashing you, but everyone needs to quit just hopping on their Spyders without doing an inspection before riding; at least occasionally check it out. Doing so might have saved you some grief.
    This statement does not make sense to me.
    I don't think I need to crawl under my bike every time I ride it.
    I can understand that spyderpops is on a trip on his bike, but I'm sure he gets his messages. He should have called him and discussed the problem.
    I also can understand that some customers we might not want as customers.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    This statement does not make sense to me.
    I don't think I need to crawl under my bike every time I ride it.
    I can understand that spyderpops is on a trip on his bike, but I'm sure he gets his messages. He should have called him and discussed the problem.
    I also can understand that some customers we might not want as customers.
    Each to their own regarding what kind of inspection they do; or whether they do one at all. I am not saying you'll catch everything when doing one, but certainly you can see the obvious.

Just look at the endless threads about body panels not fastened; or uneven tire pressure, and on and on. Some of these things can be caught with an inspection.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    . . . I can understand that spyderpops is on a trip on his bike, but I'm sure he gets his messages. He should have called him and discussed the problem. . .
    I guess it is good that most of my life, there was usually a statement, when purchasing something that was to be shipped: "allow 6 to 8 weeks for delivery" and responses from a business about a problem came in the form of a letter, mailed through the postal system. It taught me patience. So many folks want everything right now . . . and get upset when they don't get instant response.

Sad, because it increases the chance that they will be disappointed . . .

Spyder Garage

Harvey is a stand up guy. No product is perfect and there will always be issues regardless of quality (though better quality certainly reduces problems greatly).

The old saying; 'You can please all of the people some of the time...' etc., comes to mind.

I would be very surprised if Harvey doesn't make this right at his earliest opportunity. It would be out of character for him if he did not.

Hopefully, another old saying will hold true here. 'All's well that ends well'.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I have to add, Harvey is great in person and with his products. I was happy with the GS stuff and now the 2010 RT. I can only dream several others I have to deal with (not on SL, mostly) would half as well with customer service.
    Just my thought
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

SpyderLovers Sponsor SPYDERPOPS's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just posted last week that my second install of the Spyderpop's Heat shield fell off again between Durango Colorado and Denver. After I posted this development, forum members came back and said that this had also happened to them. It would be nice if more people posted stuff like that so that others could make informed decisions before they spend money on Mods from vendors.

So this weekend I heard some plastic type slapping noise and went to investigate what it might be. After crawling around and looking up I notice that the Spyderpops "missing belt guard" had almost tore in half. There was no evidence that the belt guard had gotten caught in anything it was just tearing due to the constant turbulence up there in the belt area.

Tazzel,
    I don't know what has happened with our communication errors but I am home now and ready to take care of your concerns. It would be nice to hear from you and have the chance to correct the problems.

You can call our number - 501-760-1234, I'm waiting.
    Thanks,
    Harvey