Thread: Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Laser Alignment

I owned a 2012 Spyder RT-L for 22 months (26,636 miles at trade in) and am currently the owner of a 2014 Spyder RT-L (over 9300 miles since 20 Mar 14). Both Spyders had a slight drift to the right even on relatively flat super slabs. I even rode in the left lane of a two lane road (no oncoming traffic) and both Spyders tracked straight in the left lane but drifted to the right in the right lane. I had both Spyders laser aligned, twice each. The drift to the right persisted on the 12 model and persists to this day on the 14 model. The drift is so slight that just the weight of my hand on the left grip keeps the Spyder on track with my right hand off the bars. However, a somewhat constant push (more like pressure) on the right grip is required to keep the Spyder on track with my left hand off the bars. I keep the front wheel tire pressure the same in both tires using JT's equal pressure thingy. Also have not noticed any uneven tire wear.

Now having posted the above, let me say that I noticed a marked improvement in the steering after the laser alignments (especially the second ones that were done by independent ROLO techs while the first ones were done at dealers using the ROLO system). I do not regret getting the laser alignments and truly believe it is a good investment. I plan on talking with Mike (ROLO laser alignment inventor) at SpyderQuest about my "drift".

Bottom line...if you have the opportunity to get your Spyder laser aligned by an independent ROLO dealer, do it! You have nothing to lose...most if not all do not charge if you Spyder needs no adjustment, and better handling to gain.
    Last edited by SpyRyd; 07-13-2014 at 08:00 AM.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I second that, even if you think your spyder handles fine.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Timely Post, Doing alignments this afternoon in Tampa area...
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

If you get slight drift on a Spyder which is correctly aligned it's down to the camber of the road.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    If you get slight drift on a Spyder which is correctly aligned it's down to the camber of the road.
    I have noticed this. Some roads more so than others. There have been roads that I can take my hands off the bars and the Spyder tracks straight so that tells me it's the road and not the Spyder.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Alignment and sway bar are must haves!

Spyder Garage

Just had the sway bar, links and alignment done yesterday. Ron(rnet), Netzley's Tire and Auto, on this board did a great job. Alignment was way off. Next bike after me, another 14 RT was even more off. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Default Had the drift to right also

Even after laser alignment...discovered that my right tire was slightly less inflated than left. Used my JT equalizer pressure thingy and no more drift....
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Even after laser alignment...discovered that my right tire was slightly less inflated than left. Used my JT equalizer pressure thingy and no more drift....
    MB, after seeing your original post about how your "drift" was caused by unequal front tire pressures, I bought JT's "equalizer pressure thingy" but I still have the slight drift to the right. Guess my issue is not caused by unequal tire pressure...
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

Are you getting the steering angle and torque sensors reset at the same time as the alignment? Without resetting the sensors (with BUDS) after doing the alignment you can have the effects you guys are describing. Personal experience speaking here.
    The glass is half full.
    Mike Murphy
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Default Where oh where

I'm in Putnam county ny, anybody know where I can get laser align done.
    thanks

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mike3069 View Post
    Are you getting the steering angle and torque sensors reset at the same time as the alignment? Without resetting the sensors (with BUDS) after doing the alignment you can have the effects you guys are describing. Personal experience speaking here.
    Yes, steering sensor was reset to zero via BUDS after each alignment.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vided View Post
    thanks
    Check out this link http://www.spydercomfort.com/dealers.htm for both dealers and independents doing the ROLO laser alignment in your area.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vided View Post
    thanks
    How far are you from Accord, NY?
    Give Ron a call!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Just had the sway bar, links and alignment done yesterday. Ron(rnet), Netzley's Tire and Auto, on this board did a great job. Alignment was way off. Next bike after me, another 14 RT was even more off. Tom
    How much was MikeGuyver's off???
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post
    Check out this link http://www.spydercomfort.com/dealers.htm for both dealers and independents doing the ROLO laser alignment in your area.

Thanks for the info,
    looks like there's a place not far from the dealer I brought the spyder from

committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Default Curious..!!

when doing alignments off the rear wheel,which is not a fixed part, are they checking the alignment of the rear wheel. Belt adjustments can change rear wheel alignment. How would this affect the front end alignment in relation to the rear wheel. If rear wheel is off and front is aligned to it could this give you that slight drift..?? just asking...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    How far are you from Accord, NY?
    Give Ron a call!

That's the one. He's about 65 miles from me.He's a few miles from arctic adventures, the dealer
    i got the st from

committee for postings

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I made my own wheel aligner about 2. 5years ago long before lasers .it is a peace of tube with adjustable bolts that measures the distance between the rims and you use feeler gauges to get your 2 mill tow in and then I set the steering not to Center but 2degrees to the right because we drive on the left side of the road hear . I have found that buy offsetting the steering my shoulder does not ache on long trips. It mite be old school but it does work well for me bike handles well and front tyre were is down to 1 mil in 30,000 k.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Pssssssssst!

Quote Originally Posted by spydajohn View Post
    I made my own wheel aligner about 2. 5years ago long before lasers .it is a peace of tube with adjustable bolts that measures the distance between the rims and you use feeler gauges to get your 2 mill tow in and then I set the steering not to Center but 2degrees to the right because we drive on the left side of the road hear . I have found that buy offsetting the steering my shoulder does not ache on long trips. It mite be old school but it does work well for me bike handles well and front tyre were is down to 1 mil in 30,000 k.
    Lasers have been around more than 2 1/2 years
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydajohn View Post

That is awesome.

Lasers just help at making what you did a touch quicker IMO...although some here think they are the only ones capable of doing so.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    when doing alignments off the rear wheel,which is not a fixed part, are they checking the alignment of the rear wheel. Belt adjustments can change rear wheel alignment. How would this affect the front end alignment in relation to the rear wheel. If rear wheel is off and front is aligned to it could this give you that slight drift..?? just asking...
    You get drift when the front wheels are not aligned to the rear wheel. Suppose that the front wheels are like (\ \) in relation to the rear wheel. The bike is going to drift to the left.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    We do that.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    We do that.
    So that is one question I was wondering about.

If I get aligned and 2000 miles later need to adjust my belt "tracking", the rear axel has now changed in relation to the fronts so my assumtion is the alignment is now off again?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    So that is one question I was wondering about.

If I get aligned and 2000 miles later need to adjust my belt "tracking", the rear axel has now changed in relation to the fronts so my assumtion is the alignment is now off again?

Bob
    Anything you do that changes how the rear wheel sits in the swingarm will change the alignment.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture