Spyder Garage

Default In Praise of stevedfive

There are, thank goodness, a small group of folks here who will do anything to help a Spyder owner fix a problem. These members drive considerable distances, spend hours on the phone, post informative videos and just generally make themselves available for those of us who can't easily fix our bikes when things go wrong.

Such a person is stevedfive here on SpyderLovers. I have had problems hearing phone conversations on both my 2013 and, now, my 2014. I've posted about it here and stevedfive has responded with suggestions. Steve is the chap who proved that the installation of the of the Cellphone Interface Cable is wrongly shown on BRP's instructions. He has maintained that this was my problem but I was loath to take the panels off my bike to find out. But today enough was enough.

As a side note, I never had any concerns about stripping the panels off my 2008 GS; I changed filters, sparkplugs, air filters and other parts and wires at the drop of a hat. But, for reasons not clear, I balked at hitting and yanking on one of my mirrors. This morning, however, I bit the bullet -- so to speak. I struggled with the right hand mirror but it finally gave way. The rest was easy and I finally got down to the wires around my CB where the problem was.

But which wires to change. I wrote to stevedfive and requested a quick identification from photos of the wires that were wrong. He replied that it would be impossible to do what I asked but urged me to chat with him about it. Then I thought about Apple's Facetime program and we connected so that I could point my iPhone at a cluster of wires and he could guide me to others. This took about an hour of his time but I finally got it hooked up correctly.

So, I want to praise stevedfive for his consistent, friendly, supportive suggestions about my CB hookup, about the probable problem and about the time-consuming solution. Add stevedfive to your list of good guys who go way beyond expectations in helping those of us with what seem to be intractable problems. He's number #1 on my list; he should be on yours.

ken tompkins

Spyder Garage

Steve has been helpful for me also!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Me too!
    Steve is one of the "Good Guys"!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have also run into people on here that think nothing of giving you their precious time...I haven't had to talk to Steve,but have received help,advice and even had people who have never seen me or my wife,take time and lead us on rides while we were on vacation at the drop of a dime...Yes,the Spyder has opened up new avenues for my wife and I,but its the people we have met along the way that have really changed our lives..Thanks to all Spyderlovers that reach out..

Spyder Garage

Default Awesome..!!

So glad you found him and how great he goes out of his way to help out. Thus is how it should be..!!
    Last edited by Chupaca; 07-12-2014 at 07:21 PM.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black