Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default What did I get myself into?

Yes I ride on the back. We just received a new 2014 RT SE6. After reading the posts from this site, I get the impression that all this bike does is blow codes and go into limp mode. (I have no clue what any of that means) Do I even dare go out of state with this bike??? How many of you go for 1100 mile trips and get caught out in the boonies with a dead bike. This is my fear and I may ask my husband to cancell out trip. Is this just the mechanical stuff I am reading or in most cases do people just get on and ride with no problem. Need your opinion.

By the way, my husband does not know I am on this site. He is also on this site and loves it but I will never give him my username. We are not mechanical so if something goes wrong, we will need help.

Spyder Garage

Your bike is fine. People usually only post their problems on the internet. You don't hear about all the tens of thousands of trouble free miles that are being ridden.
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Default Long trip

Quote Originally Posted by BACKSEATDRIVER View Post
    Yes I ride on the back. We just received a new 2014 RT SE6. After reading the posts from this site, I get the impression that all this bike does is blow codes and go into limp mode. (I have no clue what any of that means) Do I even dare go out of state with this bike??? How many of you go for 1100 mile trips and get caught out in the boonies with a dead bike. This is my fear and I may ask my husband to cancell out trip. Is this just the mechanical stuff I am reading or in most cases do people just get on and ride with no problem. Need your opinion.

By the way, my husband does not know I am on this site. He is also on this site and loves it but I will never give him my username. We are not mechanical so if something goes wrong, we will need help.
    Don't fret so much. My wife and I did 6,600 miles in 2013 in 93 days without the slightest hiccup from our 2012 RT Limited. Go and enjoy yourself.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm approaching 100,000 Spyder miles and I never hesitate to hit the highway. Since January I have put 20,000 miles on 2014 RTs with no problems at all. The 2014 is very reliable.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I agree with ARCTIC . I ride with a bunch of folks from Minnesnowta. Minnesota Spyder Ryders. If you would like, checck us out on Facebook. There's some very knowledgeable folks on there. Definitely ask questions also. I live north of you in Rockford. My theory is anything built by man can/will/might have an issue. I own a 2012 RTS SE5 and for the most part has been trouble free. It took me awhile to realize a v-twin vibrates more than I remembered and a long drive belt will also cause a harmonic vibration. I've got north of 22,000 miles on it and I now just check the tires, oil, weather, gas and cash supply. . Have a great ride, and enjoy.

Peter Pontinen

aka: Grandpa Pete
    Grandpa Pete
    Peter & Kim Pontinen
    2020 RTL Dark Marsala

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tell "FrontSeatDriver" () that you've done your research; and been told by folks in the know, that the bike will handle whatever trip you two decide to throw at it...
    Because it will!
    Now... of the two of you by your bike?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

We just got back from a two week 4114 mile trip out west and not one issue with the Spyder. I would (and did) not hesitate taking it anywhere. Just enjoy the ride

BTW
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Mine's a 2010 RT and 400 - 500 mile days through fairly remote areas are routine for me and my "backseat rider". We don't hesitate to go wherever we want without a worry. Yes, it's gone into limp mode a couple of times but they have always been quick to clear and we've never been stranded anywhere for even a few minutes. It helps to read Spyderlovers to find out what problems others have had so if they should happen to you it is easier to deal with but don't expect to have problems because it's really unlikely that you will. One thing that I will mention that applies to all motorcycles, 2 or 3 wheels is the possibility of a flat tire without a spare. To deal with this, get a plug kit (I use a Stop'N'Go but there are others), and learn how to use it. Carry a small 12 volt air compressor to air the tire up with. This will solve 95 percent of flat tire problems. Some will recommend just using Ride-On in your tires to solve potential flats but I, personally, prefer to carry a plug kit. That's it - ride and have fun without worrying.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    Mine's a 2010 RT and 400 - 500 mile days through fairly remote areas are routine for me and my "backseat rider". We don't hesitate to go wherever we want without a worry. Yes, it's gone into limp mode a couple of times but they have always been quick to clear and we've never been stranded anywhere for even a few minutes. It helps to read Spyderlovers to find out what problems others have had so if they should happen to you it is easier to deal with but don't expect to have problems because it's really unlikely that you will. One thing that I will mention that applies to all motorcycles, 2 or 3 wheels is the possibility of a flat tire without a spare. To deal with this, get a plug kit (I use a Stop'N'Go but there are others), and learn how to use it. Carry a small 12 volt air compressor to air the tire up with. This will solve 95 percent of flat tire problems. Some will recommend just using Ride-On in your tires to solve potential flats but I, personally, prefer to carry a plug kit. That's it - ride and have fun without worrying.

Cotton
    Tire repair kit and small compressor as well as AAA gold +RV card is all I carry.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Got my 2014 RT Limited in February just finished a 4573 miles trip an now have over 12000 miles on my 2014. Love every minute of the ride.

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

Default Relax..!!

you are on the best ryde for both of you. Don't know what your reading but there is little going wrong on the 2014's. This site is geared to help people with problems so this is what you will see here. Many are doubts, questions, self induced problems, codes caused by driver error and I could go on. What you see here is a spit in the bucket compared to the ones out there ryding to their hearts content problem free. Stop reading and get to traveling..!! Your going to love it..enjoy your trip and be safe..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I am also one of those 100,000 plus miles people. Have never been stalled on the road with a dead bike due to codes.

I drive in some pretty remote places--sometimes 500 miles from the nearest servicing dealer. So far, that has not dampened my desire to get out and ryde.

If we hesitate to ryde because of what might happen, then I think we would be missing out on a lot of great things.

The new 2014 is a great machine, and I am guessing about a 90% plus satisfaction rate or better.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default one more trick

There are a lot of people on here that are willing to help if you do get into a problem on the road. "Spyders to the Rescue" is a list of spyder riders that are willing to help if you break down. Print the list and put it in the pouch with your owners manual. I have a 2011RT and with over 20,000 miles have not had a side of the road breakdown , but I sure have enjoyed the rides to get there. That is not to say it will not happen if frontseat guy beats it up.

Spyder Garage

Default Enjoy the ryde

Just returned from a 4329 Km ryde in Europe on a rental 2014 RT Limited. Bike performed flawlessly. Averaged about 18 Km to the liter. Gas there is very expensive, around $8.00 per gallon, rough translation. The spyders were a hit all over Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Italy,France. Only saw one other spyder the whole trip. Most people had never seen a spyder so it would have been difficult to ask about service had something happened. Enjoy your ryde and don't worry about problems. You have a great community here for support should something happen but in most cases your bike will be trouble free.

Spyder Garage

Default 5000

backseater....
    i rode from Easley, SC to Torrey, UT and back last year.... 5000+ miles... NO ISSUES...
    i've done 2 Florida Loops, each 1700+ miles... NO ISSUES...
    i rode out to SPYD3RFEST in Springfield, MO, 2000+ milles.... NO ISSUES...
    i now have 41,000+ miles on my '09 RS SE5 and NO ISSUES....
    only people that have issues write into this site... those of us who have no issues, have nothing to state, so we just read and/or talk about our frakles...

i suggest you go on your trip... and if some does happen... 4 weeks after it's over, you'll be laughing with your husband about it... life is too short to worry about things like that...

btw, if your husband hasn't figure out who you are, then there must be a rather large crowd of SPYD3Rs in your area... Eden Glen just doesn't strike me as having an overwhelming number....

Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

+1 for the "don't worry, be happy" chorus.

As others have said, the 2014's are pretty much free of troubles. I just came back from a 2500 mile tour and had no problems. But based on posted issues with tires I carry a tire repair kit, compressor and my AMA card for road-side service. I think my insurance company also includes road-side service.

So, no worries. Enjoy the ride. Think about getting in the front seat some day.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I have just gone over 18,000 miles on my 2012 RSS, and sadly, all of my problems have been rider induced. I am a big guy, and I ride very hard, and I have never thrown a code. I have to admit I have complained on here: rear tire, and blown shock, but I take exception to the complainer rule. When I take a great trip I post about it as soon as possible. I also try to make as many RTE's as possible. There are a lot of great people on here, this site is a great source of info, and it is also a good way to get in touch with other spyder ryders.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

Default Almost 10k miles

I picked up my 2014 RTS SE6 last week of April...soon to turn 10k miles and not so much as a hiccup. I've been to the ocean, up to Pike's Peak summit, all over the Colorado Rockies..."Studly" runs awesome. I love ryding in the boonies...I avoid freeways .. I travel many miles without seeing another vehicle or person. No worries....I am a single, great grannie with absolutely no mechanical (fix it) skills. Like anything you hear the negative 100 times more than the positive. Enjoy your Spyder...they are built to ryde and enjoy.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Red face Fear Not

Now, hit the road!

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 RT-S. I Ryde about a thousand Myles a month. Here is my list of gripes:
    1. The seat gets hot if I park it in the sun.
    2. I wish the analog gas gage was a little more accurate.
    3. It would be a good idea to make the numbers on the analog speedometer bigger. I mean, 200 MPH? Seriously?

I get it serviced every 3,000 miles, check the oil, tire pressure, coolant level, and brake fluid level every 500 miles.

So far I've had ZERO problems.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

20G + on my '12 LRT Ltd. Only one code, "break failure"… checked the code and found the brake fluid was low…topped it off and guess what…
    Ryde on my friend, Ryde on. Got to love it and to see new ones showing up at work is priceless

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just returned from a 3700mi trip to The Badlands, Black Hills, Yellowstone & back trouble free on our 2011RT Limited.

Super Senior Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yelhelp View Post
    There are a lot of people on here that are willing to help if you do get into a problem on the road. "Spyders to the Rescue" is a list of spyder riders that are willing to help if you break down. Print the list and put it in the pouch with your owners manual. I have a 2011RT and with over 20,000 miles have not had a side of the road breakdown , but I sure have enjoyed the rides to get there. That is not to say it will not happen if frontseat guy beats it up.
    How do i find :spyders to the Rescue list so i can print it out Thks for this info
    2012 RT Limited Lava Bronze
    Inspector Gadgets cupholder & rear deck brake light

Spyder Garage

The list is on the home page. Look at the colum on the right hand Side. I think it's the last entry on the top box.
    2014 Pearl white RTS

Spyder Garage

We have about 5300 miles on our 2014 RT Limited and love it. ZERO problems. Just finished a 1500 mile round trip to the Black Hills. No issues at all. Love the ryde. We also got 42+ MPG in the Black Hills riding - several tank fill-ups. Our Spyder got in the low 30's when we first got it, but now it's consistently in the high 30's to low 40's in terms of MPG. Interstate speeds of 75+ MPH will suck the gas down and be in the low 30's for MPG.

Good luck with your 2014 RT -- I think you'll like it. Many of us have ZERO issues....people post on here to learn and understand the issues......

Enjoy your new ryde!

BTW: Our 2012 RT Limited was a great Spyder as well with no issues and very reliable. Never stranded or stuck anywhere. Always started. Had about 7600 miles on it when we traded it in for our 2014.
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 07-15-2014 at 10:45 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac