Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT CB Issue

Anyone? Is the CB recall all set? Corrected? Is the CB available now?
    2014 RT Limited Black Currant, BaJaRon Anti-Sway Bar and Links, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder. More to Come.
    08 Honda Aero - wife's
    14 Kymco - wife's (Hmmmmm...i'm losing bikes)

Spyder Garage

The problem with the BRP CB kit (other than its awful expensive) is that it does not work with the Sena Bluetooth headsets supplied by Sena or BRP. It only works with the older style wired helmets sold with older model year bikes. BRP has no intention to update the kit to support the current Bluetooth system.

This is why I am working out an aftermarket Sena, Midland, J&M package to install on my 2013.
    BRP has reportedly worked out the problem where the CB kit was causing the 2014 bikes to go into limp mode after transmitting.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default CB Issues

BikeMP3 is working on an aftermarket CB for the Spyder,they told me last week @ WingDing it will be a month or two. They told me it is mfg. by the same Co. that makes them for Honda, Kaw. , Yamaha & Can Am. I signed up on their e-mail list for updates. Thanks, MarcusB

Spyder Garage

Yes, the issue is corrected. Yes, it is available for sale and installation.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Not corrected

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    Yes, the issue is corrected. Yes, it is available for sale and installation.
    They say it's corrected, and they now sell them. But it still doesn't work right. I just had one installed in my 2014 RTS, and when I key the CB there's a horrible squeal in the headset. I've checked into the problem and have determined it's an RFI problem, that is, RF from the transmitter getting into the audio section of the system. Also, the SWR on the antenna is horrible. 2.5:1 in the middle of the band, where the SWR is the lowest, and 3.5:1 at the band edges. I am going to the dealer tomorrow to try and get a case started with BRP. They HAVE to get this problem solved as this is totally unacceptable. It wasn't a $49.95 Chinese special from Walmart. I paid well over $1000, with installation for this piece of $&@?. When you pay this much for a system it should be bulletproof. BRP should be ashamed.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

At the Owner's event a BRP person took me that the dealers has a bulletin about how to fix the Bluetooth problem. I would as your dealer about this bulletin and then doesn't have it have the dealer call BRP.

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

I have to agree with you Vern but I was only answering his questions. My bad.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Additional info on CB

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    I have to agree with you Vern but I was only answering his questions. My bad.
    I wasn't meaning to put you down your your answer. Sorry if I came across that way. I have additional info on my new CB. Last night was the first time, since it was installed, that i really had a chance to check it out much. I ride with a group of Goldwing riders, who also have CBs. We were on a "dinner ride" last night. If they were more than about a half a block away I couldn't even hear them. That never happened on the Goldwing I traded in on the Spyder. Plus, after about a half hour into the ride the squelch started acting strange. Eventually I had the squelch turned up all the way to the top and it was still "open". And yet I still couldn't hear anything more than about a half a block away. I was at the dealer yesterday on the squeal problem. I need to call them today about this new info. I think the whole unit needs to be replaced.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) CSW61's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here is my Wife’s trouble on her 2014 RT Limited.
    Had CB installed by BRP Techs at Spyderfest 2014 in May. Worked great as she rides with a bunch of GoldWingers also. Had trailer wiring harness installed by the dealer middle of July then went on Vacation. 1st time she hit the PTT Button it went into Limp Home Mode. Took key out walked away from bike everything back to normal. Took off again and she pushed her PTT Button again and you guessed it Limp Home Mode. That’s when we decided it was her PTT. She rode 1500 miles without ever pushing her PTT no more trouble. She was not pulling a trailer so had nothing hooked up to the connector.
    This did not start happing until Trailer Lights Harness was installed.
    Any Suggestions. When BRP installed it they said the original trouble had been corrected with 2014 RT's
    2018 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Months ago I added the J&M audio CB antenna upgrade, I added additional ground straps to the CB and am/fm radios, added copper tape grounding to the CB antenna ground connection, and added RF chokes to both DIN connector cables. This helped 1000%. But I still have some static on the CB reception.

However, the other day this happened: Two weeks ago on a SRA ride in Big Bear, when I had a CB malfunction. We had just left to come home when I pushed the PTT to transmit and tell the other spyder something. When I did that all communication and sound went dead. No CB, no Intercomm, no AM/FM radio, all nothing. I looked down at the screen and no TX indicator. No matter what I did, nothing, no sound from anything. Rode that way all the way home. The next day, started up the bike and it all worked. Dealer said bring it in if it happens again.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 07-11-2014 at 09:59 AM.

Spyder Garage

Eventually I plan on working on a Midland solution using the Sena SR-10 and also wiring it to the radio inputs so you can hear it over the speakers if you want.

This is all doable now EXCEPT figuring out the PTT button. Figuring this out will require taking apart the left control and disconnecting the PTT button from the can-buss making it a stand alone switch. This is the part that worries me a little but I am sure it is doable.

If ever I figure this all out I will share it. It's not high on my list right now though as Steve is the only one I know with a CB

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black