Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Red RT-S View Post
    Must have been "The Perfect Storm." One solution is to safety wire the mirrors on to the bike. Had a similar problem with a BMW K1200LT I previously owned. However, it didn't have the wires to the directional signal like the Spyder. I was warned to safety wire the mirrors on, and it paid off. I hit a pot hole at about 50 mph and one mirror fell off, but was held by the safety wire. A replacement mirror was over $400.00.
    The perfect storm it must have been. I hope no one else out there meets up with the same fate. I've read others posts on the site complaining about panels blowing off after service and yet they've also asked BRP for help. So, what's wrong with me doing the same.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

Default Mirrows falling off.

I still have a hard time getting mine off even after taking them off a few times. I did break the top retainer the first time that I took them off.
    If the top retainer was already cracked or damaged it would be very easy for them to fall off or if the top retainer wasn't even connected per the manual they could fall off.
    I think that I will tape my connectors and wires together the next time I have mine off.
    2015 RTS Ltd Spyderpops bumpskid, Dual Isci Hand Brake ,Baker Wind Wings

2016 Polaris Slingshot SL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Call your insurance. This is likely more than your collision deductible.

NOT that I'm going to suggest committing insrance fraud...
    If it was reported as vandalism to your bike while it was parked; it'd be a comprehensive claim...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

NOT that I'm going to suggest committing insrance fraud...
    If it was reported as vandalism to your bike while it was parked; it'd be a comprehensive claim...
    Could very well be that someone messed with your mirrors where it was last parked and you rode your bike without knowing they had been messed with
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

VERY good point... One kid who likes to use his paws to "look" at stuff, can make for an expensive day!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by taxmyzer View Post
    The perfect storm it must have been. I hope no one else out there meets up with the same fate. I've read others posts on the site complaining about panels blowing off after service and yet they've also asked BRP for help. So, what's wrong with me doing the same.
    Nothing wrong with asking I suppose. But there is a difference between asking for new side panels on a new bike when the dealer delivered the bike with the panels improperly installed and they fell off vs asking for new mirrors for a 2+ year old bike that by your account was assembled correctly. BRP has been known to just be 'helpful' no matter the logic, so it does not hurt to ask. Just not expecting much here.

This is collision damage. You need to speak to your insurance company, thats what you pay for. Its not a defective design.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    VERY good point... One kid who likes to use his paws to "look" at stuff, can make for an expensive day!

This example would still be a collision claim. He HIT the pothole. If the mirrors were stolen, it would be a comp claim. Would not matter on my insurance as the deductible is the same either way but some are not.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Mirror houshings are $200.00 each plus the cost of the outer cover (chrome or ?). So depending on your deductable (mine is $500) it may not pay to file a clam.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    This example would still be a collision claim. He HIT the pothole. If the mirrors were stolen, it would be a comp claim. Would not matter on my insurance as the deductible is the same either way but some are not.
    Not if they were tampered with. Because we all know that they couldn't have just flew off like they did during normal operation.
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    Not if they were tampered with. Because we all know that they couldn't have just flew off like they did during normal operation.

Been through this scenerio, just not with mirrors. You could not have known it was tampered with. If you did and you drove it anyway, it was intentional damage and not covered. Hit the obstruction and damaged occured, its collision.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You need to go get the mirrors back! You would stand a better chance of help if the plastic retainers "Broke" instead of they "just popped off".
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    You need to go get the mirrors back! You would stand a better chance of help if the plastic retainers "Broke" instead of they "just popped off".
    No way! I would've never been able to get the mirrors from the left lane of a three lane highway in New York City and besides they probably got destroyed by the traffic behind me. I'm still waiting to here from the BRP gods and hope they're able to show me some love.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

Not getting involved in the who is right, who is wrong on this.

Those clips can become deformed and not be as secure.

For the 2014 the clips are available separately from the plastic ring and are not very expensive. I put a thin layer of white grease on the mounting ball to allow an easier install with less or no distortion to the clip.

If the mirrors tens to be loose after install, I remove the mirror and either rework the clip straight or replace it.

The install could be better if the clips were supplemented by at least one chicken fastener, but that is up to BRP.

All the best with it getting resolved.

PK

Spyder Garage

Default Update!

I just got the new mirrors today after waiting a month due to back order. Went out for a short ride to get the cobwebs off the bike. Will be going out tomorrow all day need to catch up on some ride time.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

I just got the new mirrors today after waiting a month due to back order. Went out for a short ride to get the cobwebs off the bike. Will be going out tomorrow all day need to catch up on some ride time.

Great! Enjoy your 'new' ride!!

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS MAY HELP IN THE FUTURE

...After you posted this issue, I gave it some thought and I think I can make a small sturdy bracket that would attach to the panel behind the Mirror out-of-sight....the lower tab would protrude into the bottom of the mirror housing inside ( so you can't see it there either ).....this tab would have one of the BRP threaded clips ( like what the hold the panels to the frame etc.) then one hole drilled from under the mirror into the tab and one BRP metric bolt into the tab...and that mirror isn't coming off unless you take that bolt out ........This is something that will have to wait till winter for me to do ...It's not an emergency....Mikeguyver
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-09-2014 at 08:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ...After you posted this issue, I gave it some thought and I think I can make a small sturdy bracket that would attach to the panel behind the Mirror out-of-sight....the lower tab would protrude into the bottom of the mirror housing inside ( so you can't see it there either ).....this tab would have one of the BRP threaded clips ( like what the hold the panels to the frame etc.) then one hole drilled from under the mirror into the tab and one BRP metric bolt into the tab...and that mirro isn't coming off unless you take that bolt out ........This is something that will have to wait till winter for me to do ...It's not an emergency....Mikeguyver
    Keep me posted if you come up with something.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

I know my 09 phantom has different mirror design but I live on 5 miles of gravel road to get to pavement. Potholes are an everyday occurrence for me, so if my mirrors "popped off" everytime I hit a pothole,I'd be looking at a different ride for sure.
    Something must be amiss here.

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure why so many of you felt the need to give Taxmyzer a difficult time. I had a mirror fall off my RT while crossing rail road tracks at maybe 30 mph. The electrical connector separated as well. The bike had just been serviced. No doubt the mirror was improperly installed. It miraculously survived almost unscathed, although some reassembly was required. The design, while similar to many other bike configurations, is too easy to install incorrectly, and the metal spring clips are too easily deformed. My own experience and my 40 years of riding and working on bikes make Taxmyzer's report reasonable, and his comments on the retention system valid. Wouldn't you complain if $500 worth of YOUR mirrors went bouncing down the road after falling off a 30K bike? Would you accept that vulnerability on your 30K automobile?
    2014 RTS , Spyderpops oversized brake pedal Cognac

Spyder Garage

As the poster said, it is a freak situation. What, one in a million? so your the one. Buy two more mirrors, insure thay are installed correctly and your done.
    I have popped mine off many times and never were they Easy to get off. You must have hit a heck of a pot (two) hole. I would say an alignment is in order as well as a good rim inspection for damage. Not saying it didn't happen, just sayin I'd look for more damage for sure. With the thousands of spyders on the road I have never heard of this happening. As other folks have said, if the wire connectors are snapped correctly it takes a lot of force for them to break away. So really, what are the odds of "both" mirrors jumping off the what are the odds of "both" wiring connectors failing at the same time? I'd say this is one in a million of something like this happening. You should go buy a lottery ticket. Hope your spyder does not have any more damage that's hidden.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Default NO ...AT LEAST TWO

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    As the poster said, it is a freak situation. What, one in a million? so your the one. Buy two more mirrors, insure thay are installed correctly and your done.
    I have popped mine off many times and never were they Easy to get off. You must have hit a heck of a pot (two) hole. I would say an alignment is in order as well as a good rim inspection for damage. Not saying it didn't happen, just sayin I'd look for more damage for sure. With the thousands of spyders on the road I have never heard of this happening. As other folks have said, if the wire connectors are snapped correctly it takes a lot of force for them to break away. So really, what are the odds of "both" mirrors jumping off the what are the odds of "both" wiring connectors failing at the same time? I'd say this is one in a million of something like this happening. You should go buy a lottery ticket. Hope your spyder does not have any more damage that's hidden.
    ....Well Stan , Because of His post I checked my GF's brand new 2014 RT-S ( 10 days old ) guess what ??????...the front lower clip on both mirrors were not on securely....But they are now because I am familiar with them and know how to get them fully secured. So now it's at least two......I will be putting my " fix-it forever clips " on Hers this winter also.....................Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

I have had a mirror pop loose going over railroad tracks, the bottom clips popped loose but the mirror hung on to the top one. On another I had my mirror come off after hitting road patch that had settled a good 1 1/2" and hang by the power connector which was pure luck since the connector will come apart with little effort. I doubt the mirrors were tampered with, the right jolt and they can come off.

Spyder Garage

While out on a trip today I encountered some typical traffic and New York roads. I was traveling at normal highway speed when both front wheels came upon rough road at the same time causing the front of the roadster to shake enough that both left & right mirrors popped off falling into the road. Since I was on the highway there was nothing I could do but continue on my way. I never thought these mirrors could fall off so easily. I was forced to ride my roadster without mirrors for the rest of my trip home. I am hoping that BRP will step up to the plate in helping me replace both mirrors. I would recommend the current mounting system be changed to a more secure system perhaps something with screws rather than clips. I cannot ride the roadster in the current condition as its not safe. Help Please! Will be posting my experience on Spyderlovers.com
    A couple of after market mirrors from Walmart and some duct tape and you're good to go In all seriousness if it were me and I didn't want to wait for the mirrors to be replaced and wanted to ride now then I would ride. Granted it is safer with the mirrors but I am able to turn my head and check my six at will. Even with mirrors I still do a head turn before lane changes.

Spyder Garage

Default READ POST # 43 ABOVE

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    I have had a mirror pop loose going over railroad tracks, the bottom clips popped loose but the mirror hung on to the top one. On another I had my mirror come off after hitting road patch that had settled a good 1 1/2" and hang by the power connector which was pure luck since the connector will come apart with little effort. I doubt the mirrors were tampered with, the right jolt and they can come off.
    .....pOST #43 ABOVE WILL SOLVE THIS ISSUE ........MIKEGUYVER

Spyder Garage

I would've taken it out but didn't want to risk getting a ticket from New York police. The state is broke so they need every penny no matter how they get it. I'm glad to see there have been others that have had the mirrors come loose fortunately for them they didn't fall off.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky