Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Better method of mounting mirrors needed! copy of email sent to BRP below

While out on a trip today I encountered some typical traffic and New York roads. I was traveling at normal highway speed when both front wheels came upon rough road at the same time causing the front of the roadster to shake enough that both left & right mirrors popped off falling into the road. Since I was on the highway there was nothing I could do but continue on my way. I never thought these mirrors could fall off so easily. I was forced to ride my roadster without mirrors for the rest of my trip home. I am hoping that BRP will step up to the plate in helping me replace both mirrors. I would recommend the current mounting system be changed to a more secure system perhaps something with screws rather than clips. I cannot ride the roadster in the current condition as its not safe. Help Please! Will be posting my experience on Spyderlovers.com

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

wow that is strange.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Your mirrors weren't properly installed. There's no F'n way they fell off if they were properly installed
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

I agree with ARCTIC. if everything was installed correctly, then they'd have not fallen off.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it..!!

the last person to install the mirror did not get them on properly. Need to be looking to him/her for some answers. I'm affraid this may be what brp will say as well. I agree they should find a better way to secure the mirrors...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The mirrors were on properly! The front wheels hit two holes almost simultaneously causing a twisting action to the front end which in turn caused the mirrors to pop off. I know this sounds far fetched but it happened. I'm sure I won't be the last either. I'll bet BRP knows this is a possibility with their design. I would ask anyone here if they've ever hit a pump at highway speed and felt as if the handle bars being pulled out of their hands.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by taxmyzer View Post
    The mirrors were on properly! The front wheels hit two holes almost simultaneously causing a twisting action to the front end which in turn caused the mirrors to pop off. I know this sounds far fetched but it happened. I'm sure I won't be the last either. I'll bet BRP knows this is a possibility with their design. I would ask anyone here if they've ever hit a pump at highway speed and felt as if the handle bars being pulled out of their hands.
    Plenty of hard bumps and holes...never felt like the mirrors were coming off or the handle bars were being pulled out of my hands.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YEA

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Did the bump also somehow shake apart the locking mechanism on electrical connectors?
    ...I have had my mirrors off about a dozen times already ( 2014 RT ) and I live in an area of bumpy roads.....Have you ever taken the mirrors off ? ? ?........If so I know that putting them back on is a bit tricky.....the lower front knob and clip are extremely difficult to secure and knowing if it is secure isn't easy either ! ! !.........if that clip wasn't secure than you only had ONE holding the mirror on , because the top one DOESN'T hold the mirror on at all.....................at least not on the 2014's..................and as Roger pointed out about the electrical connector .....the wires BROKE correct ....because the fasteners DID NOT come loose ....that's not possible , they are locked together....JMHO...Mikeguyver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I managed to hit a dog with my 2010 at some serious speed...
    The front of the bike was about two feet in the air, while I was busy ing myself...
    The mirrors stayed put; yours weren't installed properly....
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I said there were two pot holes on either side of the road the front tires left & right hit them one right after the other and I was traveling at 65mph riding 2up. I know everyone here is saying the mirrors were put on wrong but I'm telling you this happened. This is definitely a freak accident and you probably couldn't recreate it if you tried.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

The mirrors fell off, we get it. Roger asked about the electrical connections. Did the wires break or the connectors break? Was it the whole mirror housing that came off or just the mirrors themselves coming out of the housing? If that is what happened, then the electrical connections would have nothing to do with your problem.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's a lot more to what happened; than what we're hearing...
    I've knocked my mirrors off the bike with my head on more than one occasion . The wiring caught them; each and every time!

Spyder Garage

Thats the point. If the mirrors did fall off, installed correctly or not, the wire harness would have caught them and they would be dangling on the side of the bike. The harness is plenty strong enough to catch the mirror housing. Been there and done that. In my case it was a broken clip courtesy of Mancuso Powersports service department....

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default YEA

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Thats the point. If the mirrors did fall off, installed correctly or not, the wire harness would have caught them and they would be dangling on the side of the bike. The harness is plenty strong enough to catch the mirror housing. Been there and done that. In my case it was a broken clip courtesy of Mancuso Powersports service department....
    ....​If the clips came apart " which they can't " ...........I would have to agree that there is a definite possibility that they were never installed correctly by the tech at the Dealership............that's who puts the mirrors on when the Spyder is assembled and if the clips were not locked properly they could slide apart ....if they were " sloppy "in this , then they may not have put the mirror clips on either......Let's give Him the benefit of the doubt.........Mikeguyver
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-09-2014 at 08:00 AM.

Spyder Garage

Traveling at 65mph with windy conditions the wire harness didn't hold them in place. They pulled out of the clips with the wind. I'm glad the wires didn't rip apart. Is there anyone on this site that believes the current mounting system is great? I think most of us would like a different method. Oh I've also knocked my head on the mirror while checking oil and it's popped off. Accidents happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

This is definitely a freak accident and you probably couldn't recreate it if you tried.
    Then why do you argue that BRP needs to find another way to mount the mirrors? Just accept the fact, install new mirrors and move on! If the potholes had caused both tires to blow out would you expect BRP to do something about that too?
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is it a GREAT mounting system?
    Maybe not...
    Is it "good enough"?
    Probably so...

You do have to kind of keep an eye or two on the roadway, and try to avoid what you can...
    You've also got brakes for the stuff that can't be avoided with the handlebars.

But I'm not gonna say that's what happened either; we weren't there!

Spyder Garage

No! But after spending 28k this type of stuff shouldn't happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

Default JUST SAYIN

....Even LaMont complained about the " not to sturdy mirror mounting system " a few years ......There seems to be a fairly long list of things that BRP could fix and have known about for years and have not addressed them............The RT windshield " ARMS " it must be costing them quite a bit to replace the ones that break under warranty......when all they need to do is order a change in the SAND CASTING ( or however they make them ) to stop making the TRIANGULAR reliefs in the 'ARMS"........Oh Well,...........Mikeguyver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No! But after spending 28k this type of stuff shouldn't happen
    Not that I really want to get into a sniping contest in here today...
    But if you were really worried about the $28,000; why'd you stuff it into two potholes?
    I haven't seen you mention any attempt to avoid the problem...

Spyder Garage

Default BRP, Can You Explain Why?

I suspect the very weak mirror attachment system is to comply with some archaic safety law regarding break-away mirrors . . . that should not be applied to the Spyder . . . because, if I hit you with my mirror, I also hit you with my front wheels, first, which are not break-away, and have already 'ed you up a LOT more that the mirror could do.

I love it when Congress and bureaucrats continue to create "one size fits all" laws and regulations that have no basis in reality.

Perhaps BRP could chime in and explain why the mirrors are the way they are on the RT . . . and tell us which law or regulation we need to be lobbying our representatives to change . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

So both mirrors came popped loose and both wiring harnesses came unclipped when you hit two perfectly placed potholes and the mirrors just went bouncing down the road? Neither of the wiring harnesses stayed together and broke wires and neither mirror dangled from the wires for any meaningful amount of time? You just hit the holes and mirrors were gone?
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's gonna leave a mark in your wallet...

Spyder Garage

Call your insurance. This is likely more than your collision deductible.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Perfect Storm

Must have been "The Perfect Storm." One solution is to safety wire the mirrors on to the bike. Had a similar problem with a BMW K1200LT I previously owned. However, it didn't have the wires to the directional signal like the Spyder. I was warned to safety wire the mirrors on, and it paid off. I hit a pot hole at about 50 mph and one mirror fell off, but was held by the safety wire. A replacement mirror was over $400.00.