Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What I Did To Make My 2009 Spyder RS SM-5 The Ultimate In Performance

My Background: Former Crew Chief on a Blown on Alcohol PRO-MOD and have much experience in Quality made go-fast and better performance parts. I have a 2009 Spyder RS SM-5, which i bought new and added the below goodies at 10,000 miles.

1 - Hindle Muffler - I installed this from day one, and this alone will make your spyder perform better.
    2 - BajaRon Sway Bar - WOWWOW I installed it at the stiffest setting and wow, what a difference. It has very little body roll now, and I can take cornering at much faster rate with more stability. This is a must for all Spyders. Easy installation
    3 - SmoothSpyder Drive Belt tensioner - Took out alot of the vibration at high speed. Excellent product and well made. Easy installation
    4 - JT'S Machine Shop AF-1 Air Filter and the GS/RS Breather - WOW WOW More air means more fuel which equals more power. What a great product. It eliminates the super large air box, with allows you to get to the spark plugs and the entire engine. It is a bit more louder during heavy acceleration, but when you reach cruising speed, it is as quiet the stock airbox. This air filter reminds of one of the first things we did to our first cars, take off the big ulgy round air cleaner can with the small snorkel and replace with a large round air filter with the shiny chrome top. A quality made /machined piece. Easy installation
    5 - DYNOJET POWER COMMANDER V PART#25-004 WOWOWOW OBOY-OBOY This makes the bike run like it should from the factory. As you know, all present day bike and automobiles run very lean, so that they may pass Federal and State emission requirements. The DYNOJET POWERCOMMANDER V allows the bike to run much richer, more fuel and combined with the AF-1 Air Filter with allows more air, more performance. The Spyder runs cooler, idles smoother, less surging at slow and high speeds and no backing firing on deacceleration. The Seat of my pants tells me its like having 20-25 more horsepower. I swear it feels like I could pull the front wheels off the ground if I tried hard enough. I have it at setting #5 which calls for freelowing exhaust and a better breathing air filter. This is a simple installation with excellent instructions, and if you get lost, the people at DYNOJET are very helpful. You do not need to add the Auto-Tune A-200 or A-300, unless you are deep into doing your own fuel and air maps.
    6 - Mirror Extensions - Put them on years ago and you can see a much wider path behind you. They are great, and should have been installed as factory equipment. At this time I do not recall the maker.

My girlfriend also has a 2009 Spyder RS SM-5 with 14,000 miles (hers is red/mind is yellow) This past Sunday we when on a 300 mile ride on beautiful twisting-winding roads, with her and I switching Spyders. Wow it is like the difference between Night and DAY. She loves my Spyder and we will be doing all of the above mods to her bike. She said A S A P
    TOM AND CAROL Any questions, feel free to E-MAIL me MISTERZ06@AOL.COM

Spyder Garage

I've done the same to mine or similar plus a few more things. A bajaron wire kit and iridium spark plugs and upgraded shocks front and rear should be on the agenda since you've come this far.

The only thing I feel my spyder needs now is new tires and laser allignment.
    Damon

2009 RS SM5 13,000 mi
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09 110 mi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for this information!
    But since you know where to find a quarter-mile track with timers ; how come we've got no timing slips, to verify the differences yet?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default the ULTIMATE in performance???

I was expecting forged pistons, Carrillo rods, ARP head studs, turbo running 35psi of boost and a wet nitrous kit for your ultimate performance spyder

Sometimes our ears trick us into hearing/feeling extra power on the butt dyno. I would guess your bolt on items may have increased the power mildly. Sounds like you have 2 similar bikes. Before you go molesting the stock bike.... Line em up!!!! Let's hear those results
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default I'm in..!!

Hindle..JT air filter/K&N, ram air to the filter and engine, high tension wires and iridium plugs, BajaRon sway bar, pittbull shock relocators etc..and the high speed supercharged mirrior extension did it for me... Now I can see where I've been....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't forget about the flux capacitor...

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Upgrades

Upgrade your front shocks with Spyder RT front shocks and laser alignment of the font end. Add Water Wetter to the coolant, use full synthetic motorcycle oil (I use Amsoil), heat tape headers (to cool down the engine compartment and gas tank), BajaRon spark plugs and wires, add intake air scoops http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ighlight=scoop ), and insulate your gas tank & gas lines. That's IMHO.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Wait till they put the 2300 Triumph Triple into the RS? Vrooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Wait till they put the 2300 Triumph Triple into the RS? Vrooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    It is a little late for April fools jokes. And it is not nice to tease those of us whom have a lust for speed.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

now you need to get it laser aligned....assuming you haven't already?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    NICE
    I'd like to see that V4 aprilla, think that would fit with very little mods and almost double the horses

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Bajaron sway bar and links

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billrob71 View Post
    NICE
    I'd like to see that V4 aprilla, think that would fit with very little mods and almost double the horses
    A Rotax vtwin Aprilia RSV powered spyder is right in your back yard.... [emoji8]
    It's not double the hp, but probably150+....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    A Rotax vtwin Aprilia RSV powered spyder is right in your back yard.... [emoji8]
    It's not double the hp, but probably150+....
    I'll half to check that out one if these days

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll half to check that out one if these days
    It's pretty insane. If I could find a good doner spyder with a bad motor I'd probably do one too. Actually a pretty easy transplant.
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 07-10-2014 at 07:50 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can you get us some pictures of this Aprilia-powered Spyder??
    That one has to havd some pretty sharp fangs!

Spyder Garage

There is always more that can be done when it comes to performance...

Car Tire Debate Anyone?

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    There is always more that can be done when it comes to performance...

Car Tire Debate Anyone?

Quit starting trouble Ron [emoji1]

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    It's pretty insane. If I could find a good doner spyder with a bad motor I'd probably do one too. Actually a pretty easy transplant.
    With as much room that's in there a Busa motor fits, but I don't wanna cut up my new spyder , be fun to cam something else under the Tupperware.

I have the torch and mig anyone got a blown up spyder [emoji6]

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter

Spyder Garage

The V twin Aprilia Tuono and RSV use the same engine as the Spyder, with different setups on the tuning, and a 6th gear instead of reverse. The European market has kits for these engines, like a 1200cc stroker, and a big bore kit. Old saying, "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"

john

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quit starting trouble Ron [emoji1]
    Isn't that what we're all here for??

That thing looks SERIOUSLY scary!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Isn't that what we're all here for??

That thing looks SERIOUSLY scary!

Dam I guess I need to get out my instigator hat oh wait let me borrow yours Bob.

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Can you get us some pictures of this Aprilia-powered Spyder??
    That one has to havd some pretty sharp fangs!
    I will see what I can do. The owner is not really fond of this forum. Other than seeing the Aprilia gauges it looks the same as any other silver/black RS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    The V twin Aprilia Tuono and RSV use the same engine as the Spyder, with different setups on the tuning, and a 6th gear instead of reverse. The European market has kits for these engines, like a 1200cc stroker, and a big bore kit. Old saying, "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"

john
    YUP. It pretty much bolts right in. Most work is done routing wires and mounting up the electronics. Most difficult work is in getting the gauges to look "nice".
    He had it as a 6 speed with no reverse to begin with, but the output shaft is shorter and it took some custom work to mount the front pulley. Also, 6th was pretty pointless for this setup.

However, he has it torn apart right now and working on swapping the 5 spd. gears with reverse into the Aprilia case. Longer output shaft, reverse, and what looks like it may be more favorable gearing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post

john
    The saying I live by is :
    • FAST
    • CHEAP
    • RELIABLE

Pick any two of the above. You can't have all three
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES