Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default Did not know that

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    From what I have read and re-read a dozen times trying to wrap my brain around this issue, I have discovered that DB levels (or claimed DB levels) means nothing as stated by manufacturers.

The first problem is how the manufacturer has measured for a DB level. There appears not to be a standardized testing method used; thus stated (advertised) DB levels are not consistent among the various products. Testing has been found to have been done at varying distances from the source; thus nullifying any meaningful comparison between two products.

Also, the "note" of the horn(s) can make a difference in how well it is heard by the human ear. It is also known that a more dissonant sound, typically provided with the use of two horn reeds, is more noticeable than a truer tone/note despite any fact of any difference in actual DB levels (to a degree).

Personally, I would like a loud horn sounding exactly like car tires screeching to a halt on hot pavement. I suspect it would get people's attention if needed.
    Side by side , it's obvious they roll out of the same factory. I bought a bad boy three years ago at HF for 35 bucks. It plays a loud kind of high pitched chord. Sounds like two trumpets. It's been great. I did use the relay that came with it.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

I installed my Stebel Nautilus today. It sounds great!!

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Smile Me too!

Stribel horn arrive today and is already mounted. Easy farkel, and functional too as the stock horn is usless. A few minutes of wiring tomrrow and it done. Now i have 3 stribels and one bad boy.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Installed

Wiring for the above install done and boy is it LOUD.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    Wiring for the above install done and boy is it LOUD.

Kaos
    YUP, NICE AND LOUD!
    I installed mine last week.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Smile Your Installation of Stebel on your 2013 RTL

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    I can't recommend enough the Universal Plug-n-Play Wiring Harness for Motorcycle Air Horn

you can buy on Amazon for $19.95. It makes the install very easy and has a heavy-duty 30 Amp relay built in. It's plug-n-play folks! No cutting, splicing and/or soldering. Very easy!

I used one on my '13 RTL when I installed the Stebel air horn.
    If have a couple of questions that I need help with. Which side did you install your horn on, and the second question concerns the correct way to wire the plug and play wiring harness to the Spyder and the horn. Thank you in advance for your time and information/instructions. Dave

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AH-NO-1 View Post
    If have a couple of questions that I need help with. Which side did you install your horn on, and the second question concerns the correct way to wire the plug and play wiring harness to the Spyder and the horn. Thank you in advance for your time and information/instructions. Dave

On my '13 RTL I had to remove the frunk to install the horn in the same location as the stock horn. There's a black plastic piece that has a small (2 x 2) hole cut in it that the OEM horn opening sits next to. You have to take a dremel tool and expand that hole so you can reinstall it over the Stebel. It takes a few times to measure, cut, fit, measure again, cut a little more, refit, etc so that you don't cut the hole too big. Then, it all fits back together.

As far as the wiring goes (now, this is off the top of my head), the lead with the fuse hooks to your battery. The relay is already attached and its lead connects to both the horn wires and the horn itself.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to call with questions.

Jerry
    317-445-1411
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Default bad boy

Quote Originally Posted by outlawsix View Post
    Just posted to your video. I knew I should have looked here first. Im guessing our RTS are a tad different. I tried to mount it where you did to no avail, no space, Mine has a "junction" for my battery wires on the left side of the bike right at the top of the Frunk. Looks likes yours doesn't have it there? Trying to get it set up tomorrow, so any input from yourself or others with 2013 RTS is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Hi there! I know exactly what you mean as far as the location! I installed mine on the right side of the bike, right under the plastic by the fog lights! You'll have to make a bracket n bolte it to an existing body bracket on the bike! Can't missed! Once you remove the plastic you'll see it! I recommend using the relay switch! To me it sounds louder with it! Hope this will help!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default AIR HORN

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    I can't recommend enough the Universal Plug-n-Play Wiring Harness for Motorcycle Air Horn

you can buy on Amazon for $19.95. It makes the install very easy and has a heavy-duty 30 Amp relay built in. It's plug-n-play folks! No cutting, splicing and/or soldering. Very easy!

I used one on my '13 RTL when I installed the Stebel air horn.
    I also have a 13 RTL and have been considering on getting an air horn. Did the air horn fit in the same position as the oem part? Did you have to modify anything to make it fit? Approx. how long did it take to do the installation. Thanks for any input.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPIDR1 View Post
    I also have a 13 RTL and have been considering on getting an air horn. Did the air horn fit in the same position as the oem part? Did you have to modify anything to make it fit? Approx. how long did it take to do the installation. Thanks for any input.
    See post #32.

It took a couple of hours, if I remember right. A guy I know, who's a mechanic, helped me.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

I mounted mine - and its relay, fed through a 20A fuse from the battery - in the nice big empty void where the original horn sat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

All this talk about Stebel, I had to get one and install to see for myself what others are saying. Well, I really like it!

Spyder Garage

...here are a few more pics and of the 20 APM fuse. I used the relay that came with the horn and made my harness. This made wiring really neat and clean.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I can't imagine that ANY handlebar mounted switch can take anywhere near those amps.
    There has to be a horn relay someplace in the circuit. Evidently it's sized with enough safety factor to absorb the additional amps.
    Few points to consider.

1. Just because a circuit is fused at 5 amps, does not mean it uses 5 amps. You have to have a buffer in there to compensate for the 'current inrush'. The factor I use is 150%. So if the load is 3 amp, you multiply that by 150%. 4.5 amp. You use the next fuse size up....5 amps.

2. More than likely, there are other items on the same circuit as the horn. I have ordered full electronic manuals for the Spyders....but this is based off other vehicles.

3. There is a reason the horn manufacturer includes the relay. Most of these air horns draw 3 times what your stock horn does. The OEM wiring and connectors were based on that stock load.

4. Damage does not happen after one or two operations. It takes a bunch. But here is what happens....you break the weakest link. Might be a switch, might be a fuse, might be a connection. When you do find it, you get to spend a bunch of time on a Easter egg hunt that could have been totally avoided.

One other point to consider....orientation. The horn needs to be straight up and down, no more than 15 degrees off. Otherwise, the bearing in the compressor housing will get destroyed.
    Last edited by lewis/ec; 04-07-2016 at 07:42 AM.
    lighting - electrical - tutorials @ Electrical Connection

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    Side by side , it's obvious they roll out of the same factory. I bought a bad boy three years ago at HF for 35 bucks. It plays a loud kind of high pitched chord. Sounds like two trumpets. It's been great. I did use the relay that came with it.
    The Stebel is made in Italy. Wolo Bad Boy is all China.
    lighting - electrical - tutorials @ Electrical Connection

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lewis/ec View Post
    The Stebel is made in Italy. Wolo Bad Boy is all China.
    thanks Louis.

Spyder Garage

Default So do any of you...

Live in Southern Ohio? I want a loud horn on mine but mechanical work is not one of my gifts.

Creatively,
    Shortcut
    Chrome Angelz member in Ross County, Ohio

Spyder Garage

Default I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotRider View Post
    no relay...5amps vs 12amps

the question is does the current go through the horn button...if so and I suspect it does, it's not wiring that will be damaged over time, it's the horn switch not designed for 12amps, even in shortish bursts. That's the reason in these instances, the relay well may be the way to go, preventing switch problems

IMHO...your mileage may vary

I agree completely. I teach electronics to military students, and I would agree that the higher current going through the contacts inside your horn switch will kill the switch over time, even if using "short bursts".
    There IS a reason why a relay is included.
    SuperDave_GPS
    Kingston, Ontario, Canada

"Rosie"
    2016 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave_GPS View Post
    I agree completely. I teach electronics to military students, and I would agree that the higher current going through the contacts inside your horn switch will kill the switch over time, even if using "short bursts".
    There IS a reason why a relay is included.
    2 years later still working!
    Several others also not using the relay have had no issues as well.
    I was in a parade last year and used the horn a lot. No issues.

But with that said, use the relay to be sure.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Hey Finless, long time since our paths have crossed... since way back in the RC Heli days... Trex 450 i think. Loved your build videos.

I have a 2010 RTS. Is the wiring and mount of the old horn the same as yours? I could have sworn it was on the right side. (oposite of yours).

I cant use the mounting location you did anyway since my Beaver Power Distribution box is located there.
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Spyder Garage

Default horn

does anyone make horn that sounds like an old buick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sopher View Post
    Hey Finless, long time since our paths have crossed... since way back in the RC Heli days... Trex 450 i think. Loved your build videos.

I have a 2010 RTS. Is the wiring and mount of the old horn the same as yours? I could have sworn it was on the right side. (oposite of yours).

I cant use the mounting location you did anyway since my Beaver Power Distribution box is located there.
    Yes 2010 - 2012 should be the same. It moved to the right side in 2013 as I recall.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black