Spyder Garage

Default "whooshing noise"

Ever put your ear to a seashell? That whooshing noise is what I heard on the way home Friday afternoon. It was hot, but I heard it almost the entire way home (200+ miles). When I got close to home, I took off my helmet and rode about 10 mph, and could really hear it.

I took the bike to the dealership/service on Saturday, and they looked her over. They could not replicate the noise, but thought it was just the fan. They did find an oil leak, so I need to take the bike in next Tuesday. Should I ask them to look again for the noise, or because they couldn't find it, it was probably just the fan, and I hadn't noticed it before?

The bike ("Spitfire") turns 2 on 31 July (the beginning of her 3rd year with me), and has about 17,300 miles on her now.

Thanks for any insight/advice!

Spyder Garage

Default More info..!!

is this a moving only noise, speed related, revolving or engine running type..?? You can eliminate the helmet but can it be wind noise..?? Now if it is revolving like from rotating wheel, bearings, brakes etc. Hard to say...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Check this dry humor out!

Quote Originally Posted by roselover58 View Post
    Ever put your ear to a seashell? That whooshing noise is what I heard on the way home Friday afternoon. It was hot, but I heard it almost the entire way home (200+ miles). When I got close to home, I took off my helmet and rode about 10 mph, and could really hear it.

I took the bike to the dealership/service on Saturday, and they looked her over. They could not replicate the noise, but thought it was just the fan. They did find an oil leak, so I need to take the bike in next Tuesday. Should I ask them to look again for the noise, or because they couldn't find it, it was probably just the fan, and I hadn't noticed it before?

The bike ("Spitfire") turns 2 on 31 July (the beginning of her 3rd year with me), and has about 17,300 miles on her now.

I hear all different whooshing noises at various different speeds of kilometers per hour, all day while out riding... No leaks. On the bike, please!! I only wanted to share this dry humor, I had read recently. Of which You reminded me, to laugh again.

So, If you put your ear, right up to a strangers pant leg, and listen carefully, you will hear,
    "Hey, WTF are you doing? Get TF OUT o' Here!!

Sorry, I know, pretty dumb...

Chas

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It must be a spyders matingYou didn't even follow rule # 1.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChasCS View Post
    I hear all different whooshing noises at various different speeds of kilometers per hour, all day while out riding... No leaks. On the bike, please!! I only wanted to share this dry humor, I had read recently. Of which You reminded me, to laugh again.

So, If you put your ear, right up to a strangers pant leg, and listen carefully, you will hear,
    "Hey, WTF are you doing? Get TF OUT o' Here!!

Sorry, I know, pretty dumb...

Chas

Sorta like a talking muffin...

You are full of awesome! Thanks for the advice!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    It must be a spyders matingYou didn't even follow rule # 1.
    What is rule #1?

I will admit that the bike attracts spiders. I am forever removing webs in the morning.

Spyder Garage

Wink BRPs whooshing washer

Quote Originally Posted by roselover58 View Post

When the Spyders gets to be almost 2 years old the computer starts the whooshing washer so that owner will buy to extended warranty.

Not joking it sounds like a heat related problem. If your gas in the gas tank lower that 1/4 of a tank, the gas starts to boiling or your coolant in the coolant tank is pushing air or water out or your brake fluid is boiling in the brake lines or automatic transmission fluid on the road got on and in the tire tread can make weird noises.

Mike

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=
    Not joking it sounds like a heat related problem. If your gas in the gas tank lower that 1/4 of a tank, the gas starts to boiling or your coolant in the coolant tank is pushing air or water out or your brake fluid is boiling in the brake lines or automatic transmission fluid on the road got on and in the tire tread can make weird noises.

Mike[/QUOTE]

thanks! I'm taking it to the dealership tomorrow for the oil leak. I will mention the above. Appreciate it.

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

I heard a similar sound recently upon downshifting/slowing down to enter into a parking lot... when I got back home, I pulled the panel off and checked my oil level and found it was off the stick (remember to check it right after shutting the engine off and after taking at least a short ride to get operating temp up). I topped the oil reservoir off (well, to the mark on the stick anyway), and haven't heard that sound again since.

So, have you checked your oil level? Is yours an SE or SM?

- Michael