Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Woodlands, Texas and Pipe Creek, Texas
    Spyder Garage

Default I broke in my new Spyder this weekend......

Howdy gang.

I bought my first Spyder on 6/28/14. It is a 2014 RT LTD in the titanium gray matte finish and I named her Lucky. This weekend I had 4 days off with the 4th of July holiday so I figured that I would ride it out to some property that my wife and I own out in the Texas hill country. I just got back and thought I would post up a few newbie thoughts after racking up a total of 823 miles on this trip.

- I learned not to try to wave back at other riders in curves. Both hands on the bars are very much appreciated. A nod of the helmet will suffice.
    - I had to adjust my aim for dodging roadkill.
    - The RT's stock GPS is a worthless pile. I don't really care if it is waterproof - if you can't read the screen for the glare, it is of no use to me. Maybe a different one is easier to read in direct sunlight?? Suggestions are welcome.
    - I wish the flat part of the turn signal cancellation switch was wider. I kept turning the signal on the opposite way instead of cancelling.
    - The turn signal flashes way too long if you let it self cancel.
    - This thing will really fly through the curves if you want it to. Especially with your body going to the inside of the curve and hanging off the seat just a bit.
    - Waiting for the thing to tell you to read the safety card before starting sucks.
    - Wish the brake pedal was bigger. I operated it with the side of my foot.
    - I could have never made this trip without the forum suggestions of a seat pad on the stock seat. The Airhawk R rules!!!!
    - Ecoboost is synonymous with "punch this button to make me run crappier".
    - A vented windshield and Baker Air Wings are in my immediate future.
    - The cruise control is the easiest to use that I have ever experienced on a motorcycle.
    - My grandkid's mother would not let them ride with me on my Goldwing but the Spyder got a thumbs up for them to participate.

With about 850 miles on the odo, it is a little past time for the 600 mile check up but I want to get that taken care of. I had 1 mechanical problem in riding but I will post that in the RT section and ask if anyone can offer some advice.

After leaving 2 wheelers and going over to 3, I thought that I would be giving up a lot in not watching the world tilt anymore, but I can honestly say that I am highly satisfied with my choice.

Spyders rock!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Glad you had a great day.

See the "Y" factor has taken you over.
    Steel Black Metallic 2015 RTS-SE6 Limited ; FBB Highway Brackets/ gripper pegs. Gremlin bell. Bajaron sway bar, Elka stage 2 front shocks. Bumps kid with led lights, Ultimate seat tall boy seat. Trailer hitch. Freedom trailer.

Spyder Garage

Glad you had a good ride.
    There are various shades for the gps which help. I also blue tooth the directions through the helmet with a Sena set.
    It is a lot of fun in the turns, but Nanny will cut you back if you really hammer it into the turn,
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT LTD

You said it was a 2014 RT. If so, it has the 1330 engine. First checkup and oil change is at 3000 miles.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Congrats on the new ryde. For 2014 the first service is at 3000 miles. As to the glare on the GPS try tilting the mount. It may help some.

Spyder Garage

Default Break in mileage

I have no idea where I came up with the 600 mile break in idea. Thank you both for straightening me out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That was a very astute assessment of the 2014 RT!
    And you still have about 2,150 miles to go; before that break-in service...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Tilt the mount

Quote Originally Posted by can-am sam View Post
    Congrats on the new ryde. For 2014 the first service is at 3000 miles. As to the glare on the GPS try tilting the mount. It may help some.
    Can the stock mount tilt?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is adjustable... but it still won't help ALL of the time...
    There are some sunshades out there; you might want to take a peek at some of them!

Spyder Garage

Default Break in

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    That was a very astute assessment of the 2014 RT!
    And you still have about 2,150 miles to go; before that break-in service...
    Yeah Bob, I goofed up in my thinking. Thanks for the tips on the sunshade too. I HAVE to check into that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

SteveDfive had a thread going about them a couple of months back; try sending him a PM.

Spyder Garage

on your new ryde. Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Congratulations..!!

your getting the hang of it...the turn signal should cancel by pressing it in and yes the new model does take it's time self canceling. You've seen enough on the first service...the start up delay is disliked by most and we are pushing for it to self destruct at 1000 miles... Glad you are seeing there is little lost coming over to the "Y" Factor..enjoy and be safe...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Great Report

Suggestion about the long time to start.

I normally turn key to open the Frunk and right away turn the key "on". Get my 'stuff' out of the Frunk - close it - put on helmet, etc. Spyder is ready to start by then - quick touch of the Mode button and hit the start switch.

I also put the transmission (SE) in neutral prior to shutting down the Spyder - can start from standing on either side of the bike or sitting on it as well.

(Hmm....hope all makes sense)

My test ride here in E Texas was on a 2014 RT-Limited same color as yours. Sweet ride!!

Don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Default First Service

Hey guys. Now I know where I got the 600 mile service idea from. My wife reminded me. The service department at the dealership told me to bring it back in at 600 miles for it's first service. The service manager was out that day and the shop foreman was the one that told me about that. My wife was in the service department when they were going over things before I got the bike. I knew that I got that from somewhere but just could not remember where.

Just so you guys didn't think that I was smoking crack or something.

I know -

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the wonderful world of 3 wheels. By the way, you bought the right color, it is by far the fastest of all of the others. lol
    Baja Ron Anti-sway bar
    Spyder Pop's skid plate

Spyder Garage

Congrats on your new Spyder.

You can purchase a bigger brake pedal from Tricled, one of supporting vendors. Here is a link to the pedal, http://tricled.com/TricLed.com/Pedals___Mudflap.html
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Start up delay????????

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    your getting the hang of it...the turn signal should cancel by pressing it in and yes the new model does take it's time self canceling. You've seen enough on the first service...the start up delay is disliked by most and we are pushing for it to self destruct at 1000 miles... Glad you are seeing there is little lost coming over to the "Y" Factor..enjoy and be safe...
    BTW that start up delay is only 13 seconds from the time you turn on the key until it fires up! Some people on this forum would have you believe that they were waiting minutes before the system will let you start. It tales longer for me to put on my gloves
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Congratulations!

Welcome! Enjoy the ride.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by peterparker View Post
    Howdy gang.

I bought my first Spyder on 6/28/14. It is a 2014 RT LTD in the titanium gray matte finish and I named her Lucky. This weekend I had 4 days off with the 4th of July holiday so I figured that I would ride it out to some property that my wife and I own out in the Texas hill country. I just got back and thought I would post up a few newbie thoughts after racking up a total of 823 miles on this trip.

- I learned not to try to wave back at other riders in curves. Both hands on the bars are very much appreciated. A nod of the helmet will suffice.
    - I had to adjust my aim for dodging roadkill.
    - The RT's stock GPS is a worthless pile. I don't really care if it is waterproof - if you can't read the screen for the glare, it is of no use to me. Maybe a different one is easier to read in direct sunlight?? Suggestions are welcome.
    - I wish the flat part of the turn signal cancellation switch was wider. I kept turning the signal on the opposite way instead of cancelling.
    - The turn signal flashes way too long if you let it self cancel.
    - This thing will really fly through the curves if you want it to. Especially with your body going to the inside of the curve and hanging off the seat just a bit.
    - Waiting for the thing to tell you to read the safety card before starting sucks.
    - Wish the brake pedal was bigger. I operated it with the side of my foot.
    - I could have never made this trip without the forum suggestions of a seat pad on the stock seat. The Airhawk R rules!!!!
    - Ecoboost is synonymous with "punch this button to make me run crappier".
    - A vented windshield and Baker Air Wings are in my immediate future.
    - The cruise control is the easiest to use that I have ever experienced on a motorcycle.
    - My grandkid's mother would not let them ride with me on my Goldwing but the Spyder got a thumbs up for them to participate.

With about 850 miles on the odo, it is a little past time for the 600 mile check up but I want to get that taken care of. I had 1 mechanical problem in riding but I will post that in the RT section and ask if anyone can offer some advice.

After leaving 2 wheelers and going over to 3, I thought that I would be giving up a lot in not watching the world tilt anymore, but I can honestly say that I am highly satisfied with my choice.

Spyders rock!!!

First oil change on the 14s is at 3,000 miles (not 600)

An oversized brake pedal is available at TricLed's website.

after you get the hang of the turn signals it will be second nature.

AND DON'T FORGET First oil change on the 14s is at 3,000 miles (not 600)

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your new ride, about the small brake pedal I replaced mine with car brake pedal .
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Default Brake Pedal

[QUOTE=YIRYDE;837657]Congrats on your new Spyder.

You can purchase a bigger brake pedal from Tricled, one of supporting vendors. Here is a link to the pedal, http://tricled.com/TricLed.com/Pedals___Mudflap.html[/QUOTE

Thanks for the suggestion. It looks like their brake pedal will not work on my 2014 RT with driver floorboards. Drat!!

Spyder Garage

Default Brake Pedal

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    First oil change on the 14s is at 3,000 miles (not 600)

An oversized brake pedal is available at TricLed's website.

after you get the hang of the turn signals it will be second nature.

AND DON'T FORGET First oil change on the 14s is at 3,000 miles (not 600)

Cruzr Joe
    Joe - The Tricled people told me that their brake pedal will not work on my RT SE6. I see that you have one on your bike. Do you have non stock floorboards?

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=peterparker;837774]
    Quote Originally Posted by YIRYDE View Post
    Congrats on your new Spyder.

You can purchase a bigger brake pedal from Tricled, one of supporting vendors. Here is a link to the pedal, http://tricled.com/TricLed.com/Pedals___Mudflap.html[/QUOTE

Thanks for the suggestion. It looks like their brake pedal will not work on my 2014 RT with driver floorboards. Drat!!
    Some members are using this pedal on their 2014 RT with stock floorboards. I know Cruzr Joe has them on his 2014 RTS. See this thread for more info and you can also PM Cruzr Joe for more details.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ht=brake+pedal
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

I transferred the Tricled brake pedal from my 2010 to the 2014 RTS. I did not have any problem with the installation.

Maybe they are saying not to because it may interfere with the foot boards in the event of an emergency stop. The OEM pedal is supposed to make the foot board release in the event of an emergency stop.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red