Spyder Garage

Default Break your mirror? Replace it cheap!

OK yesterday while doing the "behind the mirror" LED mods to my mirrors, I managed to break one.
    No I did not break it trying to get it out. I got that far then did a stupid thing by dropping a screw driver on the damn mirror!

I have read here that the only way to replace the mirror is to order a new mirror assembly from BRP at like $400!

In a panic I had an idea and it worked!

See the video:

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Good to know..!!

great video and will help some for sure. Good to know which replacement lens will work best...thanks..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Haha. You the man.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

I am going to trace out the outline of the mirror and created a printable PDF that you can take to the glass shop.

If ever I break one again it would be good to have this rather than trying to get the broken mirror off in 1 piece so the glass shop can trace it.

Stay tuned

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Cool Gettinitdone

Bob,

You never cease to amaze me.

Thanks.........one more time

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Straight edge would not work on the curved surface of the mirror.

Cutting glass is actually quite simple if you have the tools. Stained glass happens to be one of my hobbies.

So, if anyone near Roswell NM needs a new mirror, shoot me a PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Craniac View Post
    Straight edge would not work on the curved surface of the mirror.

Cutting glass is actually quite simple if you have the tools. Stained glass happens to be one of my hobbies.

So, if anyone near Roswell NM needs a new mirror, shoot me a PM.
    I have a thin metal straight edge that flexes and will follow a curved surface. I use it all the time on my RC model hobby for doing just that. It's also thin enough to allow a glass cutter to follow it.
    Either way this guy could not cut a straight line freehand! If the Pro guy is there on Monday, hopefully he will do a better job

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Here is a outline of the RT mirror in PDF format you can print and take to a glass cutter.

This is of the right mirror but it doesn't matter, just flip it over for the left mirror.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9B...it?usp=sharing

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I have a thin metal straight edge that flexes and will follow a curved surface. I use it all the time on my RC model hobby for doing just that. It's also thin enough to allow a glass cutter to follow it.
    Either way this guy could not cut a straight line freehand! If the Pro guy is there on Monday, hopefully he will do a better job

Bob
    Great tip I broke my mirror doing the Install of the turn leds , this will come handy.By the way your tools look like the tools I used at Xerox for 36 years. Do you work there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jtoro1 View Post
    Great tip I broke my mirror doing the Install of the turn leds , this will come handy.By the way your tools look like the tools I used at Xerox for 36 years. Do you work there.

Yes I do. I started as a service rep in 1979 and left the field in 1983. I am now in software engineering and run a team of developers.

This October will be my 35th year.

You?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Retiredfinless;836420]

Yes I do. I started as a service rep in 1979 and left the field in 1983. I am now in software engineering and run a team of developers.

This October will be my 35ideasar.

You?

Bob[/QUOTE]

Retired after 36 years with xerox as a service rep on Feb 2013 and the air forse reserve F16 crew chief with 29 years in Dec 2013 i miss my jobs , it is a small world. You have many good ideas . Thanks john
    Last edited by jtoro1; 07-04-2014 at 02:11 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jtoro1 View Post
    Retiredfinless;836420]

This October will be my 35th year.

You?

Bob

Retired after 36 years with xerox as a service rep on Feb 2013 and the air forse reserve F16 crew chief with 29 years in Dec 2013 i miss my jobs , it is a small world. John
    I use to be a USCO service planning manager. Also setup a lot of training in Leesburg VA. Possibly we have met?

What products did you work on? Most of my stuff was printing systems products that I managed.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 07-04-2014 at 02:12 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Here is a outline of the RT mirror in PDF format you can print and take to a glass cutter.

This is of the right mirror but it doesn't matter, just flip it over for the left mirror.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9B...it?usp=sharing

Bob
    Bob, thanks so much for taking the time and effort of putting this up for the rest of us!! Much appreciated.

Madonna
    2018 RT Limited Champagne Dark

Spyder Garage

Default I was on the same path

I was going to do the same thing except I was not going to start until I knew I could get replacement glass. I had already talk to my glass guy but had not gone looking for a bigger replacement glass to cut down at an auto parts store. So thanks for blazing the rest of the trail. Making a PDF template is a good idea. The ST mirror is a different shape so I guess I will have to make one of my own.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Bob, you saved a lot of folks a lot of worry over installing the behind the mirror signal lights! Thanks, once again, for showing us how to do things, so well!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

So I'm guessing we will see a new video shortly on the install process? Hint Hint.

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Another great job Bob thanks now I might try re doing my mirrors.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

They said they could not use regular glass due to the fact that car mirrors are translucent to reduce the brightness. It seems to me that would not make a lot of difference. Do you know of any other reason for not using regular glas mirrors or even plastic mirrors?
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    They said they could not use regular glass due to the fact that car mirrors are translucent to reduce the brightness. It seems to me that would not make a lot of difference. Do you know of any other reason for not using regular glas mirrors or even plastic mirrors?
    Mirrors are curved to give more field of view and thus "objects in mirror are closer the they appear".
    Regular mirrors are flat.
    Also, the Spyder mirror backplate is curved so flat mirrors may not even work.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black