Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Benggolf View Post
    Yes, I did hear about #2. Guess BRP wants to make available a cheaper Spyder to broaden their market to include
    younger riders with a smaller budget.

Didn't hear anything about a hydrid, but if if does hapen I would likely wait a couple of years for them to de-bug the powertrain.
    BRP had a video a few years back on their website of a green and white spyder that was a hybrid prototype in association with some university.

Current Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2015 Spyder F3-S with Heated Handle Grips, Gauge Spoiler, Fog Lights, 12V port, Akrapovic Exhaust, Driver and Passenger Backrests

Previous Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2012 Spyder RS-S with Can-Am Comfort Seat, Comfort Grips, Rigid Saddle Bags, HID lights, Fog Lghts, 12V Accessory port, Trunk Liner, Hindle exhaust, Flash2Pass, SpyderPops BumpSkid, Side Grilles, Missing Air Dam, Air Management System, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Well, that's helpful.
    I figured it was about as helpful as the "I want it" and "I don't want it" argument going back and forth.

Current Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2015 Spyder F3-S with Heated Handle Grips, Gauge Spoiler, Fog Lights, 12V port, Akrapovic Exhaust, Driver and Passenger Backrests

Previous Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2012 Spyder RS-S with Can-Am Comfort Seat, Comfort Grips, Rigid Saddle Bags, HID lights, Fog Lghts, 12V Accessory port, Trunk Liner, Hindle exhaust, Flash2Pass, SpyderPops BumpSkid, Side Grilles, Missing Air Dam, Air Management System, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Default Hybrid Spyder

This was the press release from December 20, 2010 on the Hybrid Spyder....the text was copied from a PDF so the formatting is goofy. If they invested 11.3 million into it, it is far more than an april fool's joke. Had both an electric motor and an ACE 600 in there.

Hybrid_34_side_11.jpgMajor investment of $11.3 M at CTA BRP –

Development of hybrid technology for BRP’s Can-Am Spyder roadster

Sherbrooke, December 20, 2010 –
    The Centre de technologies avancées BRP –

Université de Sherbrooke (CTA)
    receives $11.3 million in financial support to develop
    hybrid engine technology for
    BRP's Can-Am Spyder roadster. This is the only electric
    hybrid roadster development project in the world.

An injection of $6.2 million from the
    Automotive Partnership Canada program and
    $5.1 million from BRP will see the project extend over a four-year period. Steven
    Blaney, MP for Lévis-Bellechasse, Suzanne Fortier, president of the
    Natural Sciences
    and Engineering Research Council of Canada
    , and Guy Lévesque, program director of
    the
    Canada Foundation for Innovation were present for this major announcement, along
    with
    Université de Sherbrooke's principal, Luce Samoisette, and BRP's president and

CEO, José Boisjoli.

First launched in 2007, the Can-Am Spyder roadster is a totally unique way to

experience the freedom of open-air riding. Its distinctive Y-architecture – two wheels in

front, one in back – creates challenges that push the limits of electric hybrid vehicle

technology. “Our mandate is ambitious and complex,” explained Mihai Rasidescu,

president and general manager of the CTA. “Our goal is to develop completely new

electric hybrid technology for a three-wheel vehicle that uses 50% less fuel and reduces

CO
    2 emissions by 50% while maintaining its speed, power and performance.”

“By deciding to establish R & D centres, BRP confirmed its commitment to accelerate

the development of cleaner and more efficient new technologies,” stated José Boisjoli,

BRP's president and CEO. “The powertrain technologies used in our snowmobiles, sideby-

side vehicles, and outboard engines are already the best in the industry in terms of

fuel consumption, and are milestones towards our goal of providing consumers with

increasingly eco-performing technology.”

The CTA is at the heart of innovation, and the cooperation between the Université de

Sherbrooke and BRP is an unparalleled asset in research and development projects.

“As included in our strategic plan,
    Réussir 2010-2015, the University is reviving its

distinctive approach to research and pursuing its commitment to socio-economic

development in the Estrie region and the province,” said principal Luce Samoisette.

“Without a doubt this applied research project will produce a skilled new generation of

engineers and have a significant impact on several levels.” Through this initiative,

20 post-graduate students will become highly trained.

Original design challenges

The project’s research team is led by Professor Alain Desrochers from the Université de

Sherbrooke’s Mechanical Engineering Department and includes about 30 people from

the University and BRP. The team will need to be original during the development of the

components. The roadster’s compact size alone poses major challenges. Rather than

modifying existing hybrid technology, the researchers will have to design an entirely new

propulsion system.

“Creating a three-wheel vehicle as opposed to a hybrid car poses significant design

challenges that require a very high degree of innovation,” said professor Desrochers.

“These challenges include the lack of space to accommodate hybrid motorization,

cooling problems, aerodynamics, vehicle weight, and noise. Everything must be studied

and modified.”

Over the next four years the CTA will produce three generations of prototypes and their

components. The final product must pass the test in terms of performance, reliability,

durability, and economic mass production. Any technological innovations will be

potentially transferable to other types of vehicles and products.

About the CTA

The Centre de technologies avancées BRP – Université de Sherbrooke (CTA) is the

result of a partnership between BRP and the Université de Sherbrooke. Its mandate is

to develop new cutting-edge technologies in the field of motorized recreational vehicles.

Since it opened in 2006, the CTA has developed two technologies that have been

integrated into BRP products: a technology used in manufacturing the hulls of the new

generation of Sea-Doo watercraft, and the five-speed semi-automatic transmission

available on Can-Am Spyder roadsters. The CTA currently employs more than 70

researchers and students, and expects to become self-financing as of 2011.

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=sledmaster;837301]This was the press release from December 20, 2010 on the Hybrid Spyder....the text was copied from a PDF so the formatting is goofy. If they invested 11.3 million into it, it is far more than an april fool's joke. Had both an electric motor and an ACE 600 in there.

The April fools joke said it would be available to the public in 2013 and cost about $20K if I remember.

We are still waiting for its introduction to the public. I did find photos that called it a 2015 BRP vehicle. Time will tell.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Here is the Link

2015 F3-S SM-6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledmaster View Post
    Most of us are aware of the Hybrid since it was first posted and advertised by BRP.

The discussion has been whether or not it will soon be offered to the public. BRP got funding from their government and I am sure it has been on display (a non working prototype) and taken around to many expositions.

The speculation also has been that it will cost $40K plus--if and when--it comes available for sale.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I think a pure electric would be better.... I'm assuming the main reason for the gas was no need to charge it up, but how many hours does it take to charge a motorcycle?? I mean, even a Tesla charges pretty dang quick depending on your charger options and circuit amperage...

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dguisinger View Post
    I think a pure electric would be better.... I'm assuming the main reason for the gas was no need to charge it up, but how many hours does it take to charge a motorcycle?? I mean, even a Tesla charges pretty dang quick depending on your charger options and circuit amperage...
    You'd go maybe 20 miles. Tesla can go 250 miles or so because the entire bottom of that car is a battery bank. Doubt there is that much room in a Spyder for batteries even with the small electric motor. Let's say 20 is just me being a jerk. Say 100. Is that enough? Probably not to really sell any of them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NetJunkie View Post
    You'd go maybe 20 miles. Tesla can go 250 miles or so because the entire bottom of that car is a battery bank. Doubt there is that much room in a Spyder for batteries even with the small electric motor. Let's say 20 is just me being a jerk. Say 100. Is that enough? Probably not to really sell any of them.

LOL 20 miles is just you being a jerk . The Spyder has more room than most for batteries.
    This company, which has a far lower R&D budget than BRP, gets 171 miles per charge city driving on a pretty slim chassis.

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/

An electric motor is much smaller than a gas engine. Take the remaining area, the area that is wasted with a transmission, tank, and radiator and you'd have plenty of room for batteries under the tupperware....

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder:

Spyder Garage

171 miles..CITY DRIVING. At 70mph they get about half that...and that's on a bike that's half the weight of most Spyders.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, this thread has turned sour.

You have people saying others do not know how to ride their Spyders because they would like to see some advances in technology; while others are getting their panties twisted in a knot just because someone would like an electric Spyder, or one that leans.

Geez... People. Get a grip on it.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

If you think this is "sour" I suggest you don't venture out too far on the Internet by yourself.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    We are still waiting for its introduction to the public. I did find photos that called it a 2015 BRP vehicle.
    Where? Recently, or was this a long range speculation from 2010?
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    You have people saying others do not know how to ride their Spyders because they would like to see some advances in technology; while others are getting their panties twisted in a knot just because someone would like an electric Spyder, or one that leans.

Geez... People. Get a grip on it.
    Everybody seems to just Know, what everybody else needs...

...Whether they want it; or not!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Where? Recently, or was this a long range speculation from 2010?
    When this speculation post started up I went on the internet to see what I could find. I put in 2015 Can Am Spyder and came up with a lot of hits. Most turned out to be 2013 to 2014 stuff. Amongst those teasers I found pictures of the Hybrid labeled 2015 Can Am Hybrid. No other proof--IMO--just speculation. I did not save the links, just reported what I found here in this thread.

We run into this almost every year. Try a search and see what you can find.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Everybody seems to just Know, what everybody else needs...

...Whether they want it; or not!
    also. This post was for speculation and do not think it was intended for anyone to soap box particular opinions. The information about the Hybrid--IMO--is still speculation at this point. I am a believer when I see it up for sale to the general public. I like talking about it, but don't have an axe to grind one way or the other.

So far, we have come up with some interesting speculation. Some I feel pretty close to on the money (but, we won't know until September), and others kind of out there. For me, all interesting.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post

JackLooks about right!
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

For the sake of conversation and speculation -

They will build what they are capable of building, and selling, at a profit. To that end, what are people asking for and how much are they willing to spend to get it?

Can they build and would they sell........

more RTs in different colors and feature packages? Of course.

An ST-Limited with the 1330 Ace? easy.

An RS with an ACE 1330? No need to. You want a premium touring engine, step up to a touring model.

a LEANER? Might sell, but how easy is it to build? Cost? Hmmm. Would it open up a new market and get current bike riders to convert? Enough of them? Looking at motorcycle sales, who is most likely to convert to three wheels? Spyder riders are either coming from bikes, or they are the "others". A leaner really only appeals to a bike rider, none of the others, so how many sport bike riders would convert? Sure it would be cool, I just don't think the juice would be worth the squeeze.

A less expensive entry model, with say an ACE 900 (90 HP)? They could do this, but how many "new" buyers would want this? Is it too "boring"?

And the hybrid, or full electric. Noble cause, but seriously, how many would they sell? Would it also be too boring? Added weight and complexity, reduced performance but added economy? Didn't we all just ask for MORE power from our RTs? Who in the world is going to buy one with LESS power?

Remember, the GS model came out before the RT. They tried to create a performance image before satisfying the touring crowd. But once buyers had a choice of GS/RS or an RT, we all know what happened as the ratio of RTs sold to RS and STs is staggering. Does that mean ignore the RS buyer? Sure hope not. To a snowmobiler, ATV rider, PWC rider, dirt bike rider the RS is the way better machine. Active riding style, more able to throw the machine around. To the side-by-side, cruiser bike or touring bike rider, they more often will opt for the RT experience, and this clearly is where the money is being made right now. R&D follows sales, unless a new segment or market can be created.

Then we have the strange advertising campaign with Drew Brees and Danica Patrick. Not RT exposure. One has to conclude they are trying to bolster or create a better image with the younger demographic. Younger than the RT owners, at least. I am almost surprised they didn't go for somebody like Dale Jr. instead, might have been a better investment.

OK, I am done rambling.

2015 F3-S SM-6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good, well-thought-out points, Sledmaster.

I've also been thinking more about the "leaner" idea. To produce that, they'd have to do some major re-engineering of the Spyder systems. I think it would essentially be a whole other product entirely and the only thing it would share with Spyder is the 2-wheels-in-front configuration. If it ever is produced by anyone, though, I'd like to test ride it.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They've already built it...
    The question of cost and complexity will need to be addressed...

Spyder Garage

It would be downright amazing if a leaning Spyder just appeared as a model. You'd think they'd be spotted going around the Tail of the Dragon and other test sites well before release. If they pulled it off that'd be a great job.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We'll know more by the end of September...
    Tick...

Spyder Garage

The ST-L 1330 with a SE6? Ohhhh yahhhh! My 2013 RT is running well, so I will just sit back and wait! BRP???? Hello? Anybody home??

Spyder Garage

I think we are back on track again.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

One word.

Turbo.
    2010 RTS and 2013 RSS