Spyder Garage

Default Battery Connection vibrates loose

Okay, silly problem but I'm looking for the right answer. After I've ridden for a couple thousand miles, the negative connection on the battery vibrates slightly loose, so the Spyder will light up like normal, but when I hit the ignition, it does nothing. Took me quite a while to figure out the problem (after replacing battery, etc). It is more difficult to get to the battery, as I have Givi saddlebags, and have to take of the bags, brackets and turn signal arm, as well as the tupperware...

So, I tried a mild locktite, but anytime I get work done that involves disconnecting the battery, I have to start all over again - and it doesn't seem like the right answer. Is there a locking washer, or nut that I can use? I got through 1500 miles out to Durango and back, and my Spyder was nice to me because it decided to do this at home right before I was leaving to meet friends for dinner. I carry all the tools to deal with it on the Spyder, but still..

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance. Sue

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

used to have problems like this when they started using the block posts. The thing is that many times the wrong length screws were used and they bottom out not really giving you a tight connection. In many cases when adding connections to the battey the original screw will be to short so they grab a longer one from another that may be to long. Being lead posts and installed properly they should not loosen. A lock washer may work because it spaces the screw back further but will also damage the post..this may not be your problem but something to consider...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    used to have problems like this when they started using the block posts. The thing is that many times the wrong length screws were used and they bottom out not really giving you a tight connection. In many cases when adding connections to the battey the original screw will be to short so they grab a longer one from another that may be to long. Being lead posts and installed properly they should not loosen. A lock washer may work because it spaces the screw back further but will also damage the post..this may not be your problem but something to consider...
    Thanks - I'll take a look at the screw. So, to be clear, what I'm looking for is a screw that is too long?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If you find it is the screw, pick up both a flat washer and a lock washer to fit. Put the flat washer against the post to prevent damage, then the lock washer, and finally the nut. That will allow it to be removed, won't do any damage to the post, and it will remain tight. JMHO

Spyder Garage

Use 8mm stainless steel star washers on each post. Three years and there still tight. That's a trick that BLUENIGHT911 told me about and it works great.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    Use 8mm stainless steel star washers on each post. Three years and there still tight. That's a trick that BLUENIGHT911 told me about and it works great.

Mike
    Cool Mike - that sounds easy enough!