Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rant Time

Spyder Garage

Angry Rant Time

Well, got the RT back yesterday after regular maintenance & oil/filter change. The wife & I went out today on a day trip to Central CT, and along the way the Dashboard display lights up with "Check Engine. Found a shady spot to pull off the road. Got code P0340 which is a damaged crankshaft position indicator or disconnected wires on the Engine Control Module output pins. First thing I checked was the oil. NO OIL showing on the dipstick. After an 85 mile tow home, needless to say, I am not a happy camper. Dealer is not open tomorrow, & we had a trip with another Spyder couple planned for Tuesday. Instead, I will have to have it towed to the dealer on Tuesday. They are only open 3 days next week, closed Friday for July 4th. We have a trip planned for July 5th, so I hope to they can fix it in three days. My wife did remark that I seemed unusually calm about the whole thing. I told her I was building up for Tuesday to rip the dealer a new for not putting in the proper amount of oil, which may or may not be responsible for what happened. Point is, they had it for 3 1/2 days last week - originally said they needed it for one day - for 4,600 mile service, and they can't even put the right amount of oil in it? I mean come on, how hard is it to read a dipstick? BTW, the was parked in the garage overnight & no oil on the garage floor, it was parked today for about an hour while we had lunch, & again no oil under it in the parking lot. Waited about 20 minutes (not bad at all) for the tow truck, and again, no oil on the ground.

Sorry, just had to vent.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

You sure have a right to rant. Sounds like some real service issues with the dealer. Three and a half days to screw up your ? I bet your glad they did not have it for a whole week.

Kidding aside, I am guessing the dealer should be paying for the tow for starters.

Hope you can get it worked out. I sure would not be a happy camper given the situation.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Real curious as to what the dealer tells you for not having the proper amount of oil in it.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

When my dealer changes my oil, there is always a 1/2 litre (quart) left over that they leave in my frunk. Which when I see I know they put the right amount. I hope they straightened it out for you and you are able to make your ride!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's amazing how often they don't get the oil level right...
    I'm sorry that it has tied your plans up in a knot; I hope that it all gets worked out for you!
    The towing bill is theirs!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    Real curious as to what the dealer tells you for not having the proper amount of oil in it.
    Need to know who the dealer was! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer..!!

have had the check engine light up a couple of time. Did not check for codes but by adding oil to the correct level it cleared and no more problems. Always carry a quart with me cause they do use oil. You are right to be upset this is not acceptable hope they get it taken care of quickly. Come backs should be handled first or they were in my day...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

This sucks. Good Luck with it. We will hook up later in July.
    2014 RT Limited Black Currant, BaJaRon Anti-Sway Bar and Links, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder. More to Come.
    08 Honda Aero - wife's
    14 Kymco - wife's (Hmmmmm...i'm losing bikes)

Windsor Locks, CT & Garden City South, NY
    Spyder Garage

Still looking for a dealer in CT to trust with my "new" baby. Where did you go so I can put them on the "NO" list. I work in Waterbury and was going to take it to Land N Sea but a co-worker who had been using their service department for his snowmobiles recently suggested I not go there, personnel changes there had apparently soured him on their service. I live near Enfield and was going to call Mark's Motorsports and give them a try.

Spyder Garage

Reason #16 for why I do my own service.
    -Texas

Spyder Garage

I would stay a way from Mark's motorsports in Enfield, CT. They will ask for your spyder for a week and tell you how hard they are to work on that is way they need a week. They would rather service boats. Had a trip plan aand they could not get in done in time.
    2012 Spyder RT-SE5 Gray 5-31-12 First 5,075 miles on 10-8-12
    NBV kit highway brackets with pegs Bajaron sway bar Lave exh wrap
    Grip Buddies AirHawk 2 His & Her's Walmart Front driving lights
    Spyderpops upper block off plate, belt guard, bump Skid
    BRP
    trailer hitch Napa 6 to 4 wire power converter Ram GPS upper dash
    Baker build air wings the New 3 piece full set Kewl Metal GPS hand bar
    Inspector Gadgets rear mudd flap type, Air deflectors upper & lower A-frame

Spyder Garage

The dealer is Stamford Motorsports in Stamford, CT. This is the first time I have had any problem whatsoever with them. Up to now, they have been great & have bent over backwards to help me in my squabbles with BRP. So, I will give them the chance to take care of this before I really badmouth them. I will post the outcome later. Oh, and welcome back Bob - we have missed you.
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Texas View Post
    Reason #16 for why I do my own service.
    same here getting ready for big trip sent a oil change kit to a friends home in Wisconsin so we can service it when i get there

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Problem is that with warranty they need to go back to a dealer. Doing your own service is one thing but a dealer will be needed sooner or later and then your stuck, with all the software and computers involved. I'm above most when it comes to service but I can seen the need for a "good" dealer at some point and that is where BRP is falling short. A lot of people on here can do their own service and some will and some wont but things like this will leave a bad taste in your mouth and a gut feeling that not good.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NicotineJesus View Post
    Still looking for a dealer in CT to trust with my "new" baby. Where did you go so I can put them on the "NO" list. I work in Waterbury and was going to take it to Land N Sea but a co-worker who had been using their service department for his snowmobiles recently suggested I not go there, personnel changes there had apparently soured him on their service. I live near Enfield and was going to call Mark's Motorsports and give them a try.
    As you can see you can have a bad time at any dealer. I bought mine at Columbia Motorsports. Personnel change there along with a very large Suzuki Recall has made them VERY hard to deal with for service. I have spoken with Mark's and they seem fine and offered to handle all of my service needs. Friend of mine has no problem with them. Land n Sea has been rated high amongst people i have spoken with. New personnel would make me nervous. However, a member in our CT forums here is going to take his RT there for a recall on the oil leaking problem some of the first 2014 RT's had. I am waiting for his review. He claims they even offered him a loaner while his RT is being serviced if they can't do it in a reasonable wait period.

I feel it's a crap shoot. Not all dealers can be as awesome as Pitbull in MO is suppose to be. Kind of expensive to drive there from CT to get an oil change.

Good luck!
    2014 RT Limited Black Currant, BaJaRon Anti-Sway Bar and Links, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder. More to Come.
    08 Honda Aero - wife's

Spyder Garage

Latest news: I sent the Owner of Stamford Motorsports an Email yesterday afternoon. As I mentioned before, they are closed on Mondays, and open at 10 am tomorrow, which is when I had planned to have the towed there. I got an Email reply from him today - while they are closed - asking me to get it there at 8:30 am tomorrow so that they can get started on it ASAP. It would seem that Jeremy, the technician is going to come in early tomorrow to get started on it. Keeping my fingers crossed that it is nothing dire, and that I can get it back for my planned trip on July 4th weekend. I will let everyone know the outcome.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Good luck. Sounds like a great response from the dealer.
    08 Honda Aero - wife's

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vidman View Post
    Good luck. Sounds like a great response from the dealer.
    Yep they are good. Looking forward to a positive outcome.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Good response...good luck.

Spyder Garage

Well, here is the latest. Got the RT towed to the dealer this morning. I can tell you that BRP Roadside Assistance totally bites. Called at 6:30 this morning, was told I would get a call back. One & 1/2 hours later I called them back. They told me that no one was available, would probably have to wait 2-3 more hours. Told to forget it. Called my insurance company, got a tow within the hour. Anyway, got to the dealer & talked with the service manager, who is also the owner, about the problem of no oil showing on the dipstick after just having 4,600 mile service done. Turns out, they had the for 3 1/2 days last week, and did nothing but diagnose that the Frunk switches were shot and ordered new ones. I did not get the oil change, or anything else. The work that needs to be done requires the removal of a lot of Tupperware. They did not want to take the Tupperware off twice to get the work done. Granted, the service & storage area a small and very full and they probably could not store the Tupperware safely for an extended period. What has me worried is: Where did the oil go? No leaks anywhere. The technician says to me "yeah, these use a lot of oil". Don't quite know how the engine uses it, but it sure as heck is going somewhere. If it turns out to something really serious/expensive, I might be on the hook for it. No indication from the dealer regarding that, so I don't know yet what the endgame will be.

Spyder Garage

We will keep watching. Don't you like it when your down and out and then they bring out the sledgehammers to bash you with.

Tough Noogies on the towing? Can't wait till I am stranded here in Alaska.

Oil: Yeah they burn a lot of it

Without going back and reading all your posts--is there another dealer you can go to with a better way of doing business?

You have a whole lot of $'s invested and I can sure relate to the issues and problems. Hoping the problems can get resolved for you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is not unusual for the 990 motor to burn a quart of oil between oil change intervals. It is very important that you regularly check the oil level. I realize that you had expected an oil change so you thought they would have taken care of that. My question is didn't they give you a receipt for service? Did they charge you for oil? Did they not explain what work they did or didn't do? Sounds like the owner needs to have words with the service department about this.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Hmmm

Your problem reminds me of the time I had a shop change the oil on my gmc pickup. I paid the bill, they pulled the truck up and held the door open for me, I went exactly one mile until the first cough, then the engine died and smoked. Their service truck pulled up 2minutes later, threw up my hood and tried to resuscitate the engine with a big oil can. Too late. I got a new engine on a truck with 100k miles, but they took ownership of their huge mistake and did the right thing. Seems one mechanic threw the hood down in the shop before oil was added. It happens. Good luck with a lousy dealer.

Spyder Garage

OK, here we go. The check engine light came on because the camshaft positioning sensor was out of alignment, which altered the timing, which of course made the run rough. They got it fixed for me & I just picked it up. July 4th trip is saved! Really came through for me. Once again the dealer would not take my money, as he has not the last two times I had it in for warranty work, as well as work that I wanted done on BRP's dime. BRP still has not settled up with the dealer for either service. Late April was the last time, last September was the first time. So they are really taking their time in taking care of the dealer. Got to say that I am really happy and a big to Chris & Stamford Motorsports for getting me back on the road.