Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default what oil 2013 rss

Getting ready for first service and wondering which oil and filter I should go with?

Also what else is everyone doing on first service?
    I know read the manual but just wanted some feedback from you all.
    Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default Here's what I do..!!

I always let the dealer do the first service. There are things done with equipment we don't have like buds. They also may have an update or program modification. After that I do all my own work. That being said I get the brp synthetic blend oil change kits online at ebay for around $55.00 which includes all you need. Now BajaRon (sponsor on the home page) also sells all you need but he has Amsoil. You can use other oils as long as they meet the specs in your manual. Filters you can get from dealer ron or online...good luck..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I always let the dealer do the first service. There are things done with equipment we don't have like buds. They also may have an update or program modification. After that I do all my own work. That being said I get the brp synthetic blend oil change kits online at ebay for around $55.00 which includes all you need. Now BajaRon (sponsor on the home page) also sells all you need but he has Amsoil. You can use other oils as long as they meet the specs in your manual. Filters you can get from dealer ron or online...good luck..
    Thanks for the insight, I'll look into those kits. I was up in the air about having the first service done at the dealer because we have had issues with dealers damaging our past bikes. However it seems likes with this its a little different. I have the SE5 model, do you know if those kits come with the HCM filter? I can't find anymore information on the posts on ebay.

Spyder Garage

Hi kk,

Re: I have the SE5 model, do you know if those kits come with the HCM filter?

If you buy from BajaRon you will get everything you need for your specific Spyder. You only need to tell him year & model, etc.

Just sayin',

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi kk,

Re: I have the SE5 model, do you know if those kits come with the HCM filter?

If you buy from BajaRon you will get everything you need for your specific Spyder. You only need to tell him year & model, etc.

Just sayin',

Jerry Baumchen

Does the kit also include the HCM filter?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kk-rss View Post
    Does the kit also include the HCM filter?
    Yep, sure does. Also if you are mechanically inclined, you can do your first service yourself, I did, just keep records, If you want to check for updates, you can take it back to the dealer for a BUDS report. Forgot to mention to specify that you have a SE-5 when you order the oil change kit.
    Last edited by HuckFin; 07-01-2014 at 11:54 PM.