Spyder Garage

Default Unable to remove gas cap due to extreme heat

In all my years of driving this has never happened. I own a 2012 RT Ltd with 19,000 miles and was unable to remove the gas cap on a 90+ degree day, after traveling in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour, then making two stops one of 30 min., traveled another 30 min. in heavy traffic, then a 15 min. stop both stops with engine off. I then went to fuel my beast as the low fuel indicator was glowing and I had ridden about 135 miles. I arrive at the gas station and the cap will not release, it just clicks. I get home and park in my cool garage but decide to measure the temp. at the fuel cap since it was hot to the hand. I registered 160 degrees, the surrounding area at 145 degrees and the handlebars at 111 degrees. No wonder I sweat when riding. Any way I wait about 45 min. and can then remove the gas cap. I fuel up the next day and have had no problems since. I have ridden my beast in similar conditions before and have not had this problem. I took 5.2 gal. the next morning so I guess the heating of the gas vapors caused the threads to expand preventing the cap from being removed. So, I now am concerned about fire, explosion and always leaving spare time to permit the beast to cool before fueling. I've attached some temp. pics.

Any thoughts?

IMG_5903.jpgIMG_5905.jpgIMG_5906.jpg

Spyder Garage

That is not good. You got me worried too because I own a 2012 RT as well.
    2012 RT-S SE5 with Web Boards, custom graphics and battery tender leads

Spyder Garage

Default Try this..!!

next time squeeze the sides while twisting. Have seen this in several occations. The caps ratcheting system seem to weaken with the heat. Some caps have just fallen apart...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Could be a bad gas cap or could be something blocking the vent line. I accidentally kinked by line expiramenting and while the pressure wasn't high enough to keep me from opening it, it did let me know that there was a lot of pressure there.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Any One Else?
    I have a 2012 RT Ltd. and replaced the cat with a bypass and the stock muffler has a slight rattle in it that wasn't there before. Any one else have this, or am I the lucky one? I like the deeper tone, but not sure about the rattle.

J. D.
    2016 F3T Magnesium Metalic : Smooth Spyder Dual Backrest, Lamonster LED Head lights and Fog lights